2-3-4 Challenge discussion

Archives > May 2017 Roundup

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Jun 06, 2017 12:19PM) (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 10644 comments Mod
 photo image_zpsrov4ysil.png

1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue?
3. Did you move forward in any series? How many?
4. Any standout or 5 star books read? Why did you love it/them?
5. Overall summary of your reading month?

Tracey
Alyssa
Giulia
Robin
Lieke
Melissa
Allison
Jonetta
Laura
Lauren

message 2: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Yes! I am up to date with the Amos Decker series by David Baldacci.

No.

5 series:
1. Kinsey Milhone by Sue Grafton
2. Detective Jackson by L J Sellers
3. Kate Daniels by Ilona Andrews
4. DI Nick Dixon by Damien Boyd
5. Sookie Stackhouse by Charlain Harris

I enjoyed all my books but nothing stood out this month!

A low number month but I enjoyed what I read and had a great trip to Australia catching up with family and friends :-)

message 3: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Yes, for a total of 7.
Up To Date
1. A Court of Thorn and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
2. Until Him by Aurora Rose Reynolds
3. Brooklyn Bruisers by Sarina Bowen
4. South of the Mason Dixon by Abbi Glines

Complete
1. Ripple Effect by Keri Lake
2. Real Dirty Duet by Meghan March
3. Sins Duet by Karina Halle

6 series were started this month. 3 were started and completed, the other 3 I will continue with.
1. The Player by K. Bromberg
2. Coming Home by Harper Sloan
3. Real Dirty Duet by Meghan March
4. South of the Mason Dixon by Abbi Glines
5. Ripple Effect by Keri Lake
6. Sins Duet by Karina Halle

Yes, 4.
1. Badd Brothers by Jasinda Wilder
2. Dive Bar by Kylie Scott
3. Boudreaux Series by Kristen Proby
4. Hidden Legacy by Ilona Andrews

Complicated by Kristen Ashley A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3) by Sarah J. Maas Pipe Dreams (Brooklyn Bruisers, #3) by Sarina Bowen White Hot (Hidden Legacy, #2) by Ilona Andrews

Complicated was another fabulous read by Kristen Ashley. If she writes it, I love it. Her words are crack to me. A Court of Wings & Ruin was magnificent and extremely well written. Sarah J. Maas is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. Pipe Dreams was SO good. Sarina Bowen writes fabulous characters with amazing chemistry and then wraps it up in a series arc that makes you want more. White Hot was absolutely phenomenal. The writing team that is Ilona Andrews can deliver characters that are just pure perfection and I absolutely cannot wait for the final installment of this series in July.

I had a great reading month, completing 21 books

message 4: by ~ Giulia ~ (new)

~ Giulia ~ | 104 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No

I started the Peter Grant series and I'll definitely continue with it

I continued my binge read of the Mercy Thompson/Alpha and Omega books. Now I only have 1 A&O and 3 MT books left.
I also moved forward in the Kate Daniels and the Discworld series.

*Warning, mild rant ahead*
I read an old translation (I'm not sure but probably from the '70s) of the Hobbit. Let's say that it was an... interesting experience. They made some... curious translation choices, like translating "trolls" into [our equivalent of] "boogeymen" O_o. Not to mention the complete lack of consistency with the names of people/places/objects that are also found in LOTR (both book translation and movie dub).
Rating suspended on this one, but in spite of everything I quite enjoyed it, so in the future I'll have to get my hands on a newer translation (I feel my english isn't good enough to be able to enjoy it in the original language :(

This was the urban fantasy month: I only read 1 book that wasn't urban fantasy. Overall I'm very satisfied.

message 5: by Jonetta (new)

Tracey wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will..."

Another really solid, good month Tracey! I'm envious that you're up to date with Amos Decker. I've got The Fix on my list for this month.

How was Australia? Glad you had a good time.

message 6: by Jonetta (new)

Alyssa wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Yes, for a total of 7.

Up To Date

3. Broo..."

You had a fantastic month and congrats! KA is crack for me, too, and I preordered that audiobook. Now to squeeze it in. I see other authors on your list I've wanted to read...Sarah Maas, Abbie Glines...who are they like?

message 7: by Jonetta (new)

~ Giulia ~ wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No

I started the Peter Grant series and I'll definite..."

Wow! You moved forward in three of my most favorite UF series! You had to be in reading heaven.

That bad translation must have been difficult to get through. Sorry for such a bad experience but I'm impressed that you were able to describe the situation so well! Kudos.

message 8: by Angela (new)

Angela | 749 comments Tracey wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will..."

Looks like a great month Tracey. Moving forward on so many series is great progress. Wonderful to hear you had a great holiday in Australia.

message 9: by Angela (new)

Angela | 749 comments Alyssa wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Yes, for a total of 7.

Up To Date

3. Broo..."

Alyssa wonderful progress this month. 21 books read in a month is awesome!

message 10: by Angela (new)

Angela | 749 comments ~ Giulia ~ wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No

Great progress Giulia. Like Jonetta said, I think you describe the translation very well!

message 11: by Angela (last edited Jun 01, 2017 03:50PM) (new)

Angela | 749 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

Yes. I completed The Lady Julia Grey by Deanna Raybourn series.

Yes. 1. The Powder Mage by Brian McClellan. Not sure at this stage. While the magic system was great, I never really warmed to any of the characters.

Yes 2.
White Night (Dresden Files #9)
Memories of Ice (Malazan #3)

Memories of Ice was fantastic. The series just gets better and better. Love the characters, love the landscape and the sheer scope of the series.

I read five books in May. Any time I read a Malazan book to date it's thrown my reading plans for other books out the window as they are such large and involved books. I was a little bit annoyed that I've now fallen behind by one book on the Cork O'Connor series. Hopefully I'll manage 2 of them this month, but doubtful as I'm feeling like I don't want to put off reading the next Malazan book for too long. I was very pleased that I've finally read Company of Liars by Karen Maitland. It's a standalone, but it's been on my TBR since 2013. It actually felt very satisfying it now moved into the read section of my books. I've been making a bit of an effort this year to read a few of the books that have been on my TBR for a long time.

message 12: by ~ Giulia ~ (new)

~ Giulia ~ | 104 comments Angela wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will yo..."

It's a sign of a very good series if you are compelled to put aside your schedule to keep reading it :)
I've wanted to read Malazan for a long time, but I've always been intimidated by the thickness and the number of the volumes. I keep hearing good things about it tho, so I'll eventually get to it.

message 13: by Angela (new)

Angela | 749 comments Very true. It is such a great series. I do take a break from it though and read other books while I'm reading a Malazan book. Sometimes I need a break as you do have to pay attention to what is going on. Plus sometimes events occur that lead to me want to think about what's occurred before I carry on. I hope you do give the series a go at some point Giulia. LOL I've only read 3 books and 3 novellas in the series. Nowhere near halfway.

message 14: by Jonetta (new)

Angela wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

Don't worry about getting behind in Cork O'Connor. Be forewarned that you're gonna want to read both back to back. Congrats on finishing the Lady Grey series, also on my shelf.

I'm not familiar with the Malazan books. I'll have to do some research.

message 15: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinmy) | 2247 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No

I started two new series and plan on continuing both of them:
Marrying Stone series by Pamela Morsi
Bone Secrets series by Kendra Elliot

I moved forward in seven series:
Wanton Dairymaid Trilogy - Tessa Dare
Troubleshooters (2 books) - Suzanne Brockmann
Black Ops series - Cindy Gerard
Maiden Lane series - Elizabeth Hoyt
Bullet Catchers series - Roxanne St. Claire
Harry Bosch (and Mickey Haller) series - Michael Connelly
Harry Potter series - J.K. Rowling

My standout book was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling. Outstanding!!!

5. Overall summary of your reading month? My lowest rated books were 3.5 stars, so I am happy with the books I chose this month.

message 16: by Jonetta (new)

Robin wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No

I started two new series and plan on continuing bo..."

Nice month, Robin!! I read your review of Hidden and we're definitely on the same page. I'll try to join you when you're ready to read the next book. I'd put it on the back burner.

message 17: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 1070 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I completed the Lorien Legacies: The lost Files series.

I read The Girl with All the Gifts, I will continue but probably not any time soon.

I moved forward in 4 series: Sookie Stackhouse, The Lunar Chronicles, The Obernewtyn Chronicles and the Windsingers.

My favorite book was The Girl with All the Gifts, I didn't know what to expect and I was pleasantly surprised. (It was also the last book I read in the month so it still fresh in my memory)

I read 10 books, wich evens out my average to 11 books per month. Although the length of the books varies a lot, this month the shortest was 128 and the longest 827 pages :)
All my books had three stars or more, so a satisfying month.

message 18: by Jonetta (new)

Lieke wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continu..."

Congrats on a very good month, Lieke. It warms my heart to see you continuing Sookie Stackhouse! Not sure when I'll resume reading the series.

message 19: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 1309 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I read all 3 short stories in Blake Crouch's Letty Dobesh series (Good Behavior), so I guess I did finish one this month.

I started 1 new series - Dragon Keepers series by Kate Klimo and I will continue because it's a really cute youth fiction series.

I moved forward in 2 series - Rizzoli & Isles by Tess Gerritsen (#6) and Sookie Stackhouse by Charlaine Harris (#4).

I read Women Heroes of World War II: 26 Stories of Espionage, Sabotage, Resistance, and Rescue and loved it. The stories were interesting, shocking and inspiring.

I feel pretty good about my month. I didn't follow my plan very well, but I did enjoy what I read.

message 20: by Jonetta (new)

Melissa wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I read all 3 short stories in Blake Crouch's Letty Dobesh series (Good Behavior), so I guess I did finish one this month.

2. Did..."

Who cares about the plan, especially if you don't:) Congrats on enjoying your reading this month. I loved your review Women Heroes and will check out Crouch's series as I really liked Dark Matter.

message 21: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) Jonetta wrote: "You had a fantastic month and congrats! KA is crack for me, too, and I preordered that audiobook. Now to squeeze it in. I see other authors on your list I've wanted to read...Sarah Maas, Abbie Glines...who are they like?..."

Thanks!!

Sarah J. Maas reminds me of Cassandra Clare mixed with Karen Marie Moning. Her world building is phenomenal and so well done that in every book you are immediately transported to that place and time. However, she always puts these mystery elements that unravel throughout the books that are just fantastic. Both of her series are classed as YA, but they do not feel that way to me at all. It is Fantasy Romance at its best in my opinion.

Abbi Glines writes perfect NA books. I've enjoyed every one that I've read, but they are usually short reads, 250-300 pages. Nothing that will blow you away but enough that will make you want to absolutely read more. Not sure who I would compare her too though.

message 22: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) Angela wrote: "Alyssa wonderful progress this month. 21 books read in a month is awesome!..."

Thank you, Angela!

message 23: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) ~ Giulia ~ wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No

I LOVE the Mercy Thompson and Kate Daniels series!! These are two of the best UF series out there. I'm glad that you're enjoying them.

message 24: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) Angela wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

The Dresden Files has been on my TBR list for so long now, I really need to start these. Great progress!

message 25: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) Robin wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No

I started two new series and plan on continuing bo..."

Great progress, Robin! Harry Potter is fantastic!

message 26: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) Lieke wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continu..."

Great progess, Lieke! How are you liking the Sookie Stackhouse books? That was one of my favorite PNR series until around book 9 or 10. Then I felt like Ms. Harris was just all over the place and instead of giving quality, she gave quantity. That series should have ended way before it did.

message 27: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) Melissa wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

2. Did..."

Great progress, Melissa! I really want to start the Rizzoli & Isles series, they sound so intriguing. I'll absolutely have to add them to my schedule somewhere. How many books are there in that series?

message 28: by Jonetta (new)

Alyssa wrote: "Sarah J. Maas reminds me of Cassandra Clare mixed with Karen Marie Moning. Her world building is phenomenal and so well done that in every book you are immediately transported ..."

Thanks for that feedback! I've put a couple of Glines' books on my shelf because of you and one of my other friends. Like that they're short reads. I've noticed that her series often overlap.

message 29: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) Jonetta wrote: "Thanks for that feedback! I've put a couple of Glines' books on my shelf because of you and one of my other friends. Like that they're short reads. I've noticed that her series often overlap..."

You're welcome! They do overlap, which is one of the reasons that I like them. I love series that involve a family or groups of friends and each book focuses on a single character, and then the series continues to follow previous couples/characters in future books. Glines' does that very well.

message 30: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 1309 comments Alyssa wrote: "Melissa wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I read all 3 short stories in Blake Crouch's Letty Dobesh series (Good Behavior), so I guess I did finish one thi..."

There are currently 11 books in the Rizzoli & Isles series and 2 novellas. Book 12 comes out in August.

message 31: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) Melissa wrote: "There are currently 11 books in the Rizzoli & Isles series and 2 novellas. Book 12 comes out in August. ..."

Thanks! I'll have to start them soon :)

message 32: by Allison (last edited Jun 02, 2017 10:43AM) (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

Yes, I finished the Sevenwaters series by Juliet Marillier.

I started two series, Confederation by Tanya Huff, and House Immortal by Devon Monk. I do plan to continue the Confederation series.

I moved forward in three series, A Court of Mist & Fury by Sarah J. Maas, Shades of Magic by V.E. Schwab, and Darkest London by Kristen Callihan.

Flame of Sevenwaters, A Court of Mist and Fury, and A Gathering of Shadows were all really solid books. Not quite 5 stars, but I thoroughly enjoyed my time with each of them. All three are favorite fantasy series at the moment.

Solid, enjoyable, with some good series progress and I knocked out a couple of owned books too. I'm doing well at not getting too distracted by new and shiny series, but it's still tempting!

message 33: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) Allison wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you c..."

I'm so glad you loved A Court of Mist & Fury, it was fabulous! Have you read her THRONES OF GLASS series?

I've heard so many good things about Kristen Callihan, I've just never had the chance to read her. However, I'm really on a fantasy kick right now and if her series is on par with Sarah J. Maas' work, then I'm all over that, lol.

message 34: by Allison (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) Alyssa wrote: "I'm so glad you loved A Court of Mist & Fury, it was fabulous! Have you read her THRONES OF GLASS series? ..."

No, I've been saving that one up! I don't want to start it until all the books are out just in case I need to binge read it. :)

I wouldn't put Kristen Callihan on a par with Sarah J. Maas, but I do like her mix of Paranormal and Historical Romance with Victorian London.

message 35: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) Allison wrote: "No, I've been saving that one up! I don't want to start it until all the books are out just in case I need to binge read it. :)..."

Definitely wait! Empire of Storms left off with somewhat of a cliffhanger and the next/last book of the series doesn't come out until next year (May I think). They are absolutely worth binge reading but I can promise you one heck of a book/series hangover. They are AMAZING!!

Thanks for the info on Kristen Callihan.

message 36: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 1070 comments Alyssa wrote: "Lieke wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Wi..."

I like the Sookie Stackhouse series, they are easy but fun reads. The last book I read (#5) was my favorite so far.

message 37: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments Jonetta wrote: "Another really solid, good month Tracey! I'm envious that you're up to date with Amos Decker. I've got The Fix on my list for this month.

How was Australia? Glad you had a good time. .."

Thanks Jonetta. I'll be interested to hear what you think of The Fix!

Australia was great. I hadn't been back for 5 years so it was nice to catch up with people and just see how much has changed. Oh I wish I could live in 2 places at once!!

message 38: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments Angela wrote: "Looks like a great month Tracey. Moving forward on so many series is great progress. Wonderful to hear you had a great holiday in Australia. ..."

Thanks Angela!

message 39: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments Lieke wrote: "I like the Sookie Stackhouse series, they are easy but fun reads. The last book I read (#5) was my favorite so far...."

That's good to hear Lieke! Book 4 is next up for me, probably in July.

message 40: by Jonetta (new)

Allison wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you c..."

Congratulations on a successful reading month! Interesting to see another Maas fan. I'm going to have to check out her books at some point. I love that your titles are new to me.

message 41: by Jonetta (new)

1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I got up to date in 6 series: Shadow Creek, Montana by Victoria James, Black Dagger Brotherhood by J. R. Ward, FBI/US Attorney by Julie James, Sullivan's Crossing by Robyn Carr, The Gentrys of Paradise by Holly Bush, and Brewing Passion (that one might be complete) by Liz Crowe.

2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue? No, I didn't start any new series for a change:)

I moved forward in 7 series: Harry Bosch by Michael Connelly, Bullet Catchers by Roxanne St. Claire, Romantic Suspense by Karen Rose, Cork O'Connor by William Kent Krueger, Tracers by Laura Griffin, Shore Leave Cafe by Abbie Williams, and Black Ops, Inc. by Cindy Gerard.

I had one 5-star read, The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah, a truly haunting story. Two other outstanding reads were Winter at the White Oaks Lodge by Abbie Williams, which illustrated the reality of teen pregnancy so very effectively, and For the Brave by Holly Bush, a fascinating perspective of the Civil War from both sides.

After a "meh" start, the rest of the month was utterly wonderful. I love when I have a tough time putting books down, as was the case for most of those I read this month. And, I'm listening almost as much as I'm reading these days...a really good thing.
The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah Winter at the White Oaks Lodge (Shore Leave Cafe, #4) by Abbie Williams For the Brave (The Gentrys of Paradise, #1) by Holly Bush

message 42: by Allison (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) Jonetta wrote: "I love that your titles are new to me ..."

I was thinking the same about yours, Jonetta! Not that I really need to add any more books to my shelves, but branching out is good, right?

message 43: by Jonetta (new)

I think so! It's how I expand the breadth of my reading.

message 44: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2207 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I got up to date on 2 series
2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue? I started 2 new series Ruin and Revenge by Sarah Castille and the Wicked Games Series will definitely continue both
3. Did you move forward in any series? How many? 7
Heaven, Texas (Chicago Stars, #2) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips Funny banter eccentric small town characters
Wicked Sexy (Wicked Games #2) by J.T. Geissinger modern, dirty, sexy spy thriller easily one of the best RS books I've read.
Pucked Off (Pucked, #5) by Helena Hunting This book was a complete surprise. The best in the series for me.
Nico (Ruin & Revenge, #1) by Sarah Castille
The mafia world is new to me, and I was sucked in.
5. Overall summary of reading month.
Great month, read 9 books and 5 were 5 stars. I kept up with my group reads always a challenge for me. I am doing well in progressing in my series, but I need to make some plans with series that have ended and finish them. Maybe in July.

message 45: by Jonetta (new)

Laura wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue? I started 2 new series Ru..."

You had quite a productive month, Laura! Kudos to you. Gotta say that Pucked Off really grabs your attention.

message 46: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2207 comments Jonetta wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I got up to date in 6 series: Shadow Creek, Montana by Victoria James, Black Dagger Brotherhood by J. R. Ward, FBI/US Attorney by..."

Great productive month! I'm jealous you are up to date with BDB. I also need to jump back on Karen Rose series.

message 47: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2207 comments Alyssa wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Yes, for a total of 7.

Up To Date

3. Broo..."

Great month, I'm seeing many series here I need to add to my TBR.

message 48: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) Lieke wrote: "I like the Sookie Stackhouse series, they are easy but fun reads. The last book I read (#5) was my favorite so far..."

Enjoy! Book #4 was my favorite, but I LOVED Sookie with Eric more than anybody else.

message 49: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) Jonetta wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I got up to date in 6 series: Shadow Creek, Montana by Victoria James, Black Dagger Brotherhood by J. R. Ward, FBI/US Attorney by..."

Love that you're also a BDB fan, it's my favorite PNR series!! How did you like the latest installment?

What do you think of the Brewing Passion series by Liz Crowe? I haven't read those, or her, in such a long time. I really need to see what new work she has out.

I've heard so many wonderful things about The Nighingale, but have been on the fence about it. It's now a definite move up the TBR :)

Great month, Jonetta!

message 50: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) Laura wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue? I started 2 new series Ru..."

Good month, Laura!

I love that you liked Pucked Off, I plan on starting that series in July. I discovered Helena Hunting earlier this year and fell in love.

Wicked Sexy and Nico look and sound good based on your summary. I will absolutely check those out.

You guys are so bad for my already out of control TBR, lol.

« previous 1