Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2017 Weekly checkins > Week 22: 5/26 – 6/1

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Happy first of June to all my bookish friends! We are almost halfway through this year already. This group has now grown to more than 8,000 members. Can you believe it?? Even so, all of you who regularly participate in our weekly check-in make the group feel much cozier. Chatting with fellow book lovers, finding people with similar reading tastes, and being challenged to broaden my horizons is part of what I love most about this group.

Group discussion is open for June’s group read, The Woman in Cabin 10. I’m not gonna lie. I read that book earlier this year and didn’t much like it. I know that Nadine and I have similar opinions about it :) I am looking forward to seeing discussion from those of you who enjoy it though!

As most of you have probably seen, the winner of the poll for July’s group read was Station Eleven. That book has been on my list for a while so I am looking forward to reading along with you.

Here in the US we had a holiday on Monday making it a 3-day weekend. I expanded that by another day by taking Tuesday off which was fantastic! I also managed to read four books from start to finish over the weekend!

Books finished:

-Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls, and Everything in Between by Lauren Graham. Perfect book for a Gilmore Girls fan. I don’t currently have this one in a challenge prompt. I might use it for a bestseller from 2016 if I don’t finish Alexander Hamilton this year.

-When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon. Fun YA read about two Indian-American teens who are being set up by their parents. The problem? Only one of them knows about the “arrangement”. Hijinks ensue ;) I bought the book for my niece, but what kind of Aunt would I be if I didn’t preview the book first to ensure it is age appropriate?? So I might have consumed the entire thing in less than 24 hours. It was also on Modern Mrs. Darcy’s summer reading guide. Using it for my book by a person of color. Juanita? I think you might like this one :)

-Number the Stars by Lois Lowry – borrowed this one from my daughter. It’s tentatively slotted as my book set during wartime. I had planned on reading Drums Along the Mohawk. If I ever do I may swap it out.

-Hello, Sunshine by Laura Dave. This was an ARC that I finally got around to reading. It’s the second book I’ve ready by this author. Her books are a solid 3-star rating for me. She has interesting plots, but her characters are lacking a bit in likeability. But hey, flawed characters are a good thing, right? If you liked her book, Eight Hundred Grapes, then you would probably like this one.

Currently reading:

The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny (Inspector Gamache #5). Each book in this series has gone on sale over the last few months, and I’ve been waiting patiently for this one to finally go on sale (which it did over the weekend)! I even splurged and picked up the audio narration. I’m about halfway through.

Emily of New Moon by L.M. Montgomery. I really need a weekend to just immerse myself in this book. It deserves more of my attention that a few pages read here and there.

A Daughter's Courage by Renita D’Silva. Another ARC. This is a good story, but I think the author is trying to write from too many perspectives. Two storylines in the past (about to intersect) and two in the present (one of which has yet to show any connection to the rest of the story). It remains to be seen if this will work in the end.

The Complete Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter - realizing that I haven't read all of Beatrix Potter's stories I picked up this beautiful hardback over the weekend. This is currently my nighttime reading.

26/40 and 7/12

Question of the week: This week’s question was suggested by member Tanelle. Are you a member of your local library? How often do you avail yourself of it? Do you ever attend any programming put on by them?

I use my local library every week. My daughter and I have a regular library day on Thursdays after work. We haven’t participated in very many programs though. Our library does a lot of kids programs in the afternoon, but since I work full-time I can never get her there for the programs. It’s a little disappointing.

message 2: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5348 comments Mod
Wow it's Thursday already?! The week flies by when Monday is a holiday!

This week I finished three books, one of them ended up fulfilling a Challenge category, so I am now at 45/52. My goal is to finish this Challenge by the end of June, so I can spend the rest of the year focused on my personal challenges that I set for myself.

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch - wow I had super high expectations for this book, and I HATED it. I managed to finish it, because I kept expecting it to redeem itself, but it never did.

Into the Water by Paula Hawkins - I won this through Goodreads (yay! only book I've won this year!) and I think Paula Hawkins just got moved up to "must-read" category for me. 5 stars! She just writes books I love to read. This book is getting panned on GR, so it's clearly not a favorite for everyone. It's a mystery, but that's not the focus, she uses the murder mystery as a vehicle to explore aspects of family ties, the fallibility of memory, and relationships in a small community. There are a bunch of POVs, and most of her characters are, well, jerks. As in her debut, the main characters are emotionally damaged in some way, and they struggle to maintain a façade of normalcy.

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel - this book was on my Personal Challenge list of books I need to read in 2017, and it also turned out to be perfect for the "spans a lifetime" category, too. I didn't really like it, but I'm still glad I read it. (I loved the movie, so this is that rare thing for me, a movie I liked more than the book.) I'm not really fond of magical realism, in general.

QOTW YES! Huge library user, it's where I get most of my books. (Last year "a book from the library" was a Challenge category, so I tracked that stat, and 88% of my reads that year were from the library. I was surprised it wasn't higher.) I obsessively track my library holds on-line, and I stop by every week. I also make heavy use of Overdrive for e-books and audiobooks from both my local library and NYPL (because all NY state residents can get a library card from NYPL). Because I work full-time, I don't make use of many of my library programs because I can't attend most of them, but when I was a stay-at-home mom I used to go to a lot of them, they have sing-alongs and storytimes for kids, craft days, special concerts, visiting magicians, demos from the local zoo and science museums, movie showings (with free popcorn!), and summer book clubs. The summer book clubs aren't really all that interesting, it's just sort of "track the books you read and maybe you can find a cool free book to have as a prize!" so I don't always do them now.

message 3: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 409 comments Bonjour groupe,

One more book read for the challenge this week:

Le cas Malaussène (Tome 1) - Ils m'ont menti for the published in 2017 prompt. I liked it a lot but was disappointed that it didn't really end. I will need to wait for the next one. I love all Malaussene's books and was really happy to learn that 20 years later, the serie was started again. Now I just need another Michel Folco book and I'll be happy. And Patrick Rothfuss.

I just started The Goldfinch and after more than 100 pages, I can't say if I like it or not. There is a lot of descriptions, but I like Tolkien so I should be good.

QOTW: I use the public library often. Every two or three weeks at least. My oldest son loves to read also so he took out many books. I used to participate in activities but now that I started working full-time it's harder. They started offering ebook (I know we're late) so I am using this also. Bonus point, the library is located at the most beautiful spot of my town, on the river bank. They set up a terrasse outside so we could just sit there to read. During winter we can sit Inside in front of the floor to ceiling windows.

message 4: by Chandie (last edited Jun 01, 2017 05:52AM) (new)

Chandie (chandies) | 248 comments Lots of books this week.

Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris. It would work as debut book for the Read Harder challenge. It’s about an ad agency that is facing layoffs. He really focused on the minutia of day-to-day work life and I feel like it was just too long. I did not like it much.

Shadowshaper by Daniel Jose Older. YA fantasy novel. Would work as first in a series or main character is a different ethnicity. I like the premise of the world where spirits and art combine but I feel like the world building was lacking a bit. However, I would probably pick up the 2nd one because I’m intrigued.

A Very Special Year by Thomas Montasser. This is short about 160-170 pages. So, it was quick read and I found it to be delightful. I’m using it as the book about books prompt on the Read Harder challenge.

First Star I See Tonight by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. It’s contemporary romance set in the Chicago Stars football world (Phillips has many books set in this world). And it was delightful. Both main characters were super enjoyable and there was no instalove which is one of my pet peeves regarding romances.

If I Run by Terri Blackstock. I don’t read reviews of books until after I read the book. A lot of the negative reviews of the book were based on what they perceived as preaching about Christianity. It did show up in the book but I didn’t find it overbearing. There was an afterword by the author that was super lecturey and judgmental. I won’t be getting the second of this book but for other reasons.

1. The main character was a total Mary Sue. Everyone loved her and no one could believe that she was wanted for murder. She was the sweetest and the best and the smartest even though the guy following her was basically only hours behind her so not so smart.
2. The two main characters meet for about 2 minutes.
3. There’s no real plot development as it ends pretty much where it begins (there is a subplot where the main character saves a kidnapped girl because she’s the best of course). It was kind of a cliffhanger because she goes on the run again.

Also, the author rated her own book (five stars) on goodreads and that always gives me pause.
I wouldn’t recommend this book but YMMV.

And finally

Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys. This book was uber depressing but on a topic in WWII and after that I have not read much about either in fiction or non-fiction as most are focused on the Holocaust. I’m using it for the novel set in wartime prompt.

message 5: by Chandie (new)

Chandie (chandies) | 248 comments Sara wrote: "When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon. Fun YA read about two Indian-American teens who are being set up by their parents. The problem? Only one of them knows about the “arrangement”. Hijinks ensue ;) I bought the book for my niece, but what kind of Aunt would I be if I didn’t preview the book first to ensure it is age appropriate?? So I might have consumed the entire thing in less than 24 hours. "

I just bought this book last week and it came in on Tuesday after a rec from someone (I feel like it was one of the romance writers I follow) on Twitter. I'm trying to add more POC books to my classroom library.

message 6: by Tania (last edited Jun 01, 2017 06:04AM) (new)

Tania | 463 comments Good morning! I'm so glad it's Thursday, on a nice short work week. I did a lot of reading over the holiday weekend too.

Excited to see so many people read and love Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls, and Everything in Between, that was the first book I read this year and my second favorite of the year, behind The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland.

This week I read:
- The Noncommissioned Officer and Petty Officer: Backbone of the Armed Forces: Backbone of the Armed Forces - the truth is I found this when looking for a book that would help me check off the last scavenger hunt item on a list I was working, but I walked away from it awed by the information presented and with a much better understanding of the various armed forces and how their lower-level officers operated. I found the ebook available for free download as a pdf.

- The CEO: An Interactive Book by Owen Burke - I read this as my unheard of genre (gamebook)

- The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton - this is one I love to reread from time to time, and I used it as a book from Oklahoma on my 50 state challenge.

- The Case of the Counterfeit Racehorse by Elizabeth Levy - I'm still in the process of rereading all the horse books on my bookshelves, my favorite homemade genre being "all things horse." ;-) This is a fun one, and part of a series (though I only have this one book from the series).

- Signature Wounds by Kirk Russell - amazing book, the story of an FBI agent trying to discover the people behind a terrorist attack on Las Vegas before they strike again.

- Lure of the Dark by Sarah Sargent - I used this as my book based on mythology, as the author mixed Norse mythology (the story of Loki) with the modern era (1980's Wisconsin). It's also a really interesting parallel with real troubles that face teens and how easily they can take the wrong path without any guidance. I first read this one when I was a pre-teen, and rereading as an adult I enjoyed it as much but had a new perspective on the characters and situations.

Up next:
- The Intern: Chasing Murderers, Hookers, and Senators Across DC Wasn't In The Job Description by Dale Wiley - this is a really intense book, the story of an intern trying to clear his name after being accused of an assassination while working in D.C.

- Gertrude and Claudius by John Updike - I'm reading this one to finish off another challenge, but it's a very interesting rewrite of Shakespeare's characters from Hamlet, and very readable.

QOTW: I love the library, though I haven't been much in the past year. I have been focused on reading the mountains of books in my house, but before that I was regularly using their online reservation system to find the book I wanted next and have it delivered to the e-library near work for easy pick-up. What I miss, though, is perusing the library shelves for hidden gems, and lately it's been on my mind to get back over there and do just that.

My whole life I have loved just walking through the library, by myself, looking at books on the shelf and coming across one I never thought to read. In elementary school, my friend and I were allowed to bike to the neighborhood library in the summer to pick out books, which we'd stack in our bike baskets for the ride home. In Jr High I tried going alphabetically through the school library, but there were too many books and too little time. One of my favorite things about going away to college was discovering the mammoth libraries that the universities have sitting center-stage on their campuses. I liked poking around in the lesser visited sections, there were all sorts of fun surprises waiting on the shelves.

message 7: by Christophe (new)

Christophe Bonnet | 212 comments Hey there from sunny Paris! it's been a pretty good reading week: two books finished, including one thick brick that I started back in January and one e-book: I don't use read these much but it has its advantages (quite notably the fact that you can read them during business meeting without being ostensibly rude)...

2666 by Roberto Bolaño Le Capitaine Fracasse by Théophile Gautier

✅A8. A book that's more than 800 pages: Roberto Bolaño, 2666 , Folio Gallimard, 2011 (trad. de l'espagnol par R. Amutio, ed. orig. 2004), 1376pp.

Now, that IS a brick. 1376 pages and not that much of a page turner, either. Note that one of my 2016 600pp+ books was much longer than this one (A Suitable Boy, 1474pp) but somehow it felt shorter. I haven't written a review nor rated the book yet; I'm not quite ready for that. One thing is sure: I had red another of Bolaño's novel before (Les Détectives sauvages/Los detectives salvajes/The Savage Detectives) and I enjoyed it more. Still, it's a fascinating book.

✅27. A book with a title that's a character's name: Théophile Gautier, Le capitaine Fracasse , Le livre de poche, 2011 (ed. orig. 1863).

I started this one as an e-book since 2666 was rather unwieldy and wanted something to read away from home. Why this one? Because the prompt evoked 19th Century literature to me, and this one sounded more fun than Benjamin Constant or Adolphe Crémieux. Of course it was not just a name but a name prefixed by a military title, but that's the same thing, right? One interesting twist is that there's no one in the book whose name is Captain Fracasse (fracasser could be translated as to shatter): this is actually a theater nickname that the main character decides upon in chapter 6 or so (aptly named where the book deserves its title) - so basically it's a character's character name.
Anyway I had great fun reading it. This is the late 19th Century version of early 17th Century French, each phrase chiseled to be altogether clear, refined and with an old-fashioned tonality... A cape and dagger story which is a bit far-fetched but is an occasion for amazing character and places descriptions; a double ending (the sad one as the author planned it, followed by an happy twist that was pretty much a request from the publisher); some irony, but not too much: many people read it at face value and enjoy it a lot, but you can also have a more abstract reading if you feel like it... Anyway, I'm quite happy I made this choice.

I'm now 16/40 for the regular challenge, 7/12 for advanced: still on schedule!

QOTW: We have a library card for each of our 3 family members but our attendance is a bit sketchy. Let's face it: all three of us like to own books!

message 8: by Nicole (last edited Jun 01, 2017 07:59AM) (new)

Nicole Sterling | 153 comments Week 22 - 28/40 & 8/12 (36/52)

This week, I finished Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper. It is a children's/middle school-aged book, but I loved it! I used it for prompt #13, a book by or about a person who has a disability. I read it on my phone, but it is now on my list of books to read with my 9-year-old son, as well as Rain Reign by Ann M. Martin, which I read earlier in the challenge.

I am still reading A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles for prompt #35, a book set in a hotel. I really do like it, but I am just reading it extremely slowly for some reason. I don't know what the deal is, but I WILL finish it at some point. Right now, I'm only about 37% of the way through & I've been reading it for almost two months! Obviously, I haven't actually been "reading" it that long, but I started it on April 11th, and just read a chapter here and wait a week, then read another chapter or two there, then don't pick it up for a couple weeks, etc. I am going to make it my goal to finish that book by the check in on June 15th. I would like to say next week, but I'll be a little more realistic here. :)

That's all for this week. Hopefully I will have more books read by our next check-in.

QOTW: Yes, we are members of the library. I remember going all the time with my mom when I was growing up, so I've tried to make that something that I do with my son, too. I am not as good about getting there as frequently as my mom did, but we try. We do participate in some of their programs and enjoy them. This weekend, we are going to go sign my son up for the summer reading program. We also enjoy going to "Sit, Stay, Read!" where my son can read books to dogs. He doesn't read as much as he just pets them or plays with them, but he does read sometimes. There are also a lot of summer programs for kids, tweens & teens (as well as for us adults), and I think we're going to sign up for a couple of those. I work full time, but my mom keeps him during the summer & takes him to various camps, so she would be able to take him if we get him signed up.

message 9: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 715 comments Hi Everyone!

Sunny but cool so far in Michigan this morning. Went for a lovely walk before work!

I have tragic news this week. My beloved kindle died, right in the middle of a page flip. Nothing that the Amazon help or internet suggested revived it. So I have to say goodbye to my dear companion of the last 5 + years. Anyone have a good dirge?

The good news is my new Voyager should be here today! It won't be quite the same, I will dearly miss my actual buttons for page flipping. But hopefully it too will become a beloved friend.

I had yet another super busy weekend (sensing a pattern here, now that the weather's gotten nicer?). So I only finished two books this week. And neither of them fit a challenge, because that's just how the library books came out this week.

Princesses Behaving Badly: Real Stories from History—without the Fairy-Tale Endings I'd seen this in my friend's want to read list on goodreads and looked at the description, it seemed really interesting so I'd put it on hold. I liked it, reading about a bunch of different princesses was fascinating. For those who are history buffs though, I saw a lot of reviews complaining her bibliography was not as extensive as it should have been, and most of the stories were very brief. However, I think it accomplishes the author's stated purpose, and that's to try to shake up the massive princess juggernaut run by Disney and the like. She wanted to present princesses as something other that unfailingly beautiful, sweet, kind etc. Partially to make it clear that being a princess isn't really something to ASPIRE to, since it doesn't generally improve your life, and in many cases makes it much worse.

The Chemist I'd put this on hold a while ago, finally came up. I know people give Stephanie Meyer a lot of guff for her writing. But I always enjoy her books. Sure, it's not going to win any awards for literary greatness, but it was a fun romance-thriller. Also I was pretty thrilled that she finally abandoned the whole "love triangles everywhere" plaguing her previous books. It was also nice to just breeze through a book for fun, after a lot of the heavier and more serious stuff I've been reading. I think this could probably be considered an espionage thriller, should anyone need one still. (main character isn't technically a spy, but she ends up having to do a lot of spy-like things)

so still sitting at 44/52

Currently I'm reading The Little Paris Bookshop, which a friend recommended to me. I thought it would only count for Book Riot's Read Harder challenge, as a book about books. But then I realized the author is from Germany, and I've never been there. So yay!

QOTW: I use the digital library a lot more than my physical library. Where I live is kind of a borderlands area, and we got redistricted to a new library. That means we're on the fringe of the border, and it's not centrally located. I have to go way out of my way to get there. For this challenge, though, I've had to go more often to get books. I don't do programming there, for similar reasons. But also because most the programming seems to be aimed at people who are retired or stay at home moms, I guess. I got excited because I saw there was a book club party, and I wanted to join an in-person book club, not just a goodreads one. But the party was at 10 am on a Friday morning. Same with the library crafting groups, during the week in the mornings, or midday. When I go to my fitness classes, I go right by another library. I think it might be part of my inner-library loan group so I might see if I am able to check books out from there. It's way more convenient for me.

message 10: by Angie (new)

Angie | 41 comments Some of you are such prolific readers! I'm so impressed. Every book I read is basically a challenge book. The only books I've read this year that don't count for the challenge I read before I discovered it. I don't know how you all do it. If I can average a book a week, I'm impressed with myself.

Speaking of my reading...

Completed
33. A book set in two different time periods: Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang
This was a slow read for me, mainly because it's so sad and I didn't want to read it. But I'm so glad I forced myself to finish. I lived in China for two years (I was in the Peace Corps) and I was in awe of the elderly there. I can't imagine what their lives could have been like. My own host waipo (grandmother) didn't like to talk about, and I can't blame her.

50. A book that's been mentioned in another book: Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
(mentioned in George, which I read for #27: a book with a title that's a character's name)
I was actually pretty tepid about this. I've seen the cartoon version more times than I can count and I preferred the adaptation. I listened to the E.B. White-narrated audiobook of this, and I wonder if that's why I didn't like it. I felt like he was phoning it in. I don't have good luck when I listen to audiobooks that are read by the author. Granted, I'm not the intended audience and would heartily recommend it to children to read.

This puts me at 35/52, so I'm a bit ahead of the pace. I still have my 800 pager to start, and I'm next in line for a book at the library, so I don't have anything in progress at the moment.

QotW
I would not survive without the library. Apart from the cost of books, most of which are never reread, I just don't have the space for them, so I'm a regular library user--both the physical library and the digital library. I'm fortunate to live in a city with a phenomenal public library and live just a 10 minute walk to the city's second-largest branch, so I'm there a lot.

I haven't taken advantage of the programs, but there are many. The problem is they're scattered all around the city across 100 branches, so it's not always easy to attend some events, but other people definitely do.

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather (heathergrace) | 94 comments I have tragic news this week. My beloved kindle died, right in the middle of a page flip. Nothing that the Amazon help or internet suggested revived it. So I have to say goodbye to my dear companion of the last 5 + years. Anyone have a good dirge?

I live in fear of this day. My old school Kindle (free 3G and all) died once - about three weeks out of warranty - and after a call to customer service they sent me a new one for free. That was five years ago and I don't know what I'll do when it leaves me. I use it for all ebooks because the battery lasts forever and they have apparently stopped charging to deliver books over 3G so I can add new books anywhere without wifi and start reading!

I cleared out all of my "currently readings" this time a week ago in preparation for summer reading and promptly started with Coming Home, which I brought on vacation over the weekend and have been reading during my commute all week. It's lovely but long... so it's kind of nice to have the longest book I'll read this summer done first! (Obviously this will be my book longer than 800 pages).

QOTW: I am at my library pretty much every week (Mondays after gym and grocery store) picking up holds and dropping off what I'm done with. I haven't wandered around the library looking for books to read probably since I was in college (my small school had a lovely collection of fiction which no one used so I was always grabbing new releases by my faves with no holds list!) but this thread is making me want to do it again!

message 12: by Johanna (new)

Johanna Ellwood (jpellwood) | 227 comments Challenge: 17:40
Advanced: 7/12

I have really fallen behind in my reading. I am finally catching back up and finishing some books I have had (and renewed) from the library.

A book that's been on your TBR list for way to long: I finally finished The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America. Love this book and reading about all the mayhem and success of the World's Fair in Chicago.

A book recommended by an author you love: Well, I kind of cheated on this one - Three-Martini Lunch. I read a book then looked for and found a review by one of my favorite authors - Sara Gruen. Hey, whatever works, right! If you like mid-20th century America, this is the book for you. There were some slow places, but the ending - whoa!

The Devil in the White City Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America by Erik Larson Three-Martini Lunch by Suzanne Rindell

QOTW:
Yes, I belong to the library. I always have books checked out, and books on hold. (And I just saw, a little fine! Whoops!) We took advantage of the programs a lot more when my kids were younger. I feel like the teenage programming isn't as exciting as it could be to capture teens attention.

message 13: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 715 comments Heather wrote: "I live in fear of this day. My old school Kindle (free 3G and all) died once - about three weeks out of warranty - and after a call to customer service they sent me a new one for free. That was five years ago and I don't know what I'll do when it leaves me. I use it for all ebooks because the battery lasts forever and they have apparently stopped charging to deliver books over 3G so I can add new books anywhere without wifi and start reading!
"

My super old school one with the keyboard died just over a year after I got it. Since it was JUST out of warranty, Amazon replaced it with a refurb for only $40, but they didn't have any with the keyboard at that point, so it was the non-touch version with no keyboard. (I think 4th or 5th gen?). But it lasted 5+ years, and I loved it dearly. Unfortunately well out of warranty, but they did give me 20% off for being a loyal customer. I was really hoping it'd last another year or two, so I could maybe get an oasis refurb at a more reasonable rate. Alas.

message 14: by Tanelle (new)

Tanelle Nash | 128 comments Good morning from hot sunny Southern Alberta. We've had temperatures hovering around 30 degrees for the past week which has been nice after a long cold winter.

I finished two books this week:

Astrophysics for People in a Hurry. Honestly I expected to love this book more than I did, I found that he didn't give any warm-up to the facts. He literally dropped you off the deep end and expected you to swim. It was good but not great, I've read similar books that were better before. And no matter what he says I still think Pluto is a planet. Couldn't fit it into a prompt.

And Then There Were None. This is my second Agatha Christie book in the past few months and I'm shocked I haven't read any of hers before. I absolutely loved it! It was a super easy read that I was able to do In a single day. Used for Bestseller from a Genre I Don't Normally Read.

Currently I'm reading The Lost Book of the Grail. I expected it to be a lot more light reading than it is but I'm enjoying it so far.

QOTW:
Yay! I'm glad you loved my idea. I'm an avid user of our library, so much so that I'm actually on the board of it. I'm at the library 2-3 times a week, my kids (5 & 3) attend the programming every session (and they are unparented classes which is amazing for my sanity!). I get the majority of my books from the library or their used books sales. We are part of a larger library system that can get books from anywhere in the province so it doesn't take very long to get holds (even brand new bestsellers). The Library is also along a river which makes for some beautiful views (if huge complications every time it floods)

Thegirlintheafternoon Good morning, everyone! Sara, you're so right - it's great to start every Thursday with a chat with fellow readers from around the world :)

My parents were visiting for the Memorial Day weekend, so I didn't get to do quite as much reading as I'd hoped, but I still made some progress.

Finished

Peter Darling - This is a FANTASTIC #ownvoices retelling of "Peter Pan." I absolutely loved it! I'm using it for Around the Year's prompt of "a book recommended by a favorite author," which brings me to 22/52 for that challenge.

Captive Prince - I used this one for Modern Mrs. Darcy's prompt of "a book you don't want to admit you're dying to read" - a prompt that took me months to fill, just because I couldn't think of a book I'd be embarrassed to say I was reading! I definitely wouldn't have read it if I hadn't been thoroughly spoiled for how the series turns out/how some of the characters' thinking changes dramatically, though. This brings me to 7/12 for this challenge.

In Progress

A Walk in the Woods - I started this for the June group read of "a book about travel." I'm enjoying it so far! Always fun to read something that's been languishing on the TBR for a long time.

Designing Your Life: How to Build a Well-Lived, Joyful Life - I'm one disc away from being finished with this audiobook! It's a very engaging listen; I just haven't had much time to play it recently. I'm not using it for a challenge, but it would be a good "book with career advice" pick.

DNF

The Burning Girl - I got this as an ARC, so I feel bad quitting it, but it just wasn't a good match for me.

QOTW

I used my library a lot before I started working there, and I use it even more now! I'm so lucky to work at a great library with amazing coworkers and programs. One day I came into work without having checked the program schedule, and it was a children's carnival day - we had aerialists from a nearby circus school performing on silks hung from the building rafters!

message 16: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 242 comments Good morning from foggy San Francisco!

I love seeing what everyone is reading! The Little Paris Bookshop that Sheri is reading is sitting in my "read soon" pile and I read Angie's Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China in January. It's fascinating, especially the first half, and very sad. It's so hard to realize how much some people have suffered.

I feel like I read a fair amount this week, but I only have one finish. Time spent reading doesn't always correlate well with number of books finished since I read several books at a time.

Finished:

Cannery Row by John Steinbeck (4 stars)
This fits a BookRiot challenge for a book written before 1950, but doesn't fit into any of the slots I still have open for this challenge. It was a wonderful book, very evocative of time and place. My biggest problem with it was that it was very masculine in its outlook -- women were either safe, happy prostitutes or mean, uncaring housewives. I just had to let that slide and enjoy the rest of the book.

In process:

The Bonobo and the Atheist: In Search of Humanism Among the Primates - not sure if I can fit it into this challenge or not.

The Invisible Library - I'm reading this for my steampunk novel (prompt 22) and got the suggestion from this group! So far it's been a fun read.

Women's Work: The First 20,000 Years Women, Cloth, and Society in Early Times - I love ancient history and I quilt as a hobby, so I'm really enjoying this. I don't know whether it will fit into the challenge, probably not.

Shady Characters: The Secret Life of Punctuation, Symbols & Other Typographical Marks - I'm reading a chapter every now and then. It's fun, but I wouldn't want to read it all in one sitting. I'll use it for my book with a red spine (prompt 23).

Question of the week: I use the library a lot! I used to want to own the books I read, but I moved recently and got rid of so many books! Now I'm more picky about what I buy. I've kept track this year and I've read 11 library books (many are e-books) and 25 books that I own (also many e-books or books I had previously purchased but not read). I haven't used any library programs since I've moved, but my kids did various reading programs at our previous library and I went to some of the lectures.

message 17: by Lindi (last edited Jun 01, 2017 08:56AM) (new)

Lindi (lindimarie) Happy check-in everybody!

I too used the long weekend to read some, but wasn't really impressed with what I finished. It was an awful romance that read like terrible fanfiction, it's not even worth linking it here. The characters got together much too soon, and if I had to read one more "angel" I thought I might pull my hair out.

I'm currently working on...
Farmer Boy - I've been halfway through this for months now. I just need to dedicate a small amount of my night to finish it! I'm not sure why I've been dragging my feet on it...it's been incredibly annoying sitting on my currently reading shelf.

Kulti - I felt like I still needed to itch my cheesy romance craving so I bought this on kindle. We'll see if I like this more.

The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet - This is a companion novel to the web series of the same name. I didn't know quite what to expect, but it looks like it's a retelling in diary form, which I'm excited for!

QOTW: Yes I am a member of my library! I'm usually there a couple times a month, if not every weekend. Their cafe has the most delicious food options.

I actually haven't been to anything they've put on before, but next Friday they are hosting Kristin Hannah (she lives in Washington) at our local performing arts center to talk about The Nightingale! I have plans to go with my mom and I'm really looking forward to it.

message 18: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 731 comments I have had a slow week of reading. I'm noticing a bit of a pattern: a week of non-stop reading followed by a week where I listen to podcasts more than I read.

This week of reading had an unintentional theme: the two books I finished were The Bedwetter: Stories of Courage, Redemption, and Pee and Oh Crap! Potty Training: Everything Modern Parents Need to Know to Do It Once and Do It Right. That may also account for my slower week - no fiction. Both of these I slotted into prompts from previous year's challenges. There were some amusing possible slots for the potty training book.

The Bedwetter was quite decent, if you like the whole comedian books type, except her casual use of the word retarded. I realize she's a shock comic but none of the use was as part of an actual joke. I was actually surprised that the reviews I skimmed after I finished it didn't mention that or find it offputting.

As for the potty training book, I haven't rated it yet, since I haven't tried to put it into use. We're going to Denver Comic Con and my brother is visiting for two weeks to attend with us. I don't really think that those two things lead to setting us up for success, so we intend to start the day after he leaves. The book did leave me feeling confident that I know what to do, which seems like a good start. I've seen a lot of comments in reviews that it's a bit heterocentric/sexist as it's very much aimed at moms and not so much dads - that's a legit criticism but when it comes down to it, that is how things will be going in our house. Though I've thought of having my husband take a day or two off so that I am not the only one staring at the poor toddler, waiting for her to pee for days. Lol.

I'm currently listening to The Road to Little Dribbling: Adventures of an American in Britain and I have to say, either the audiobook format is making Bryson sound like a grumpy old man or he's become a grumpy old man since the older travel books that had me laughing at his fiascos. Which isn't to say I'm not enjoying it, but it's different from what I was expecting.

I think I may start The Man in the High Castle next. I want to read it before watching the show and it's next to expire on my library reading list.

QOTW: Both my husband and I have both our city library cards but also Denver library cards. We live much closer to a Denver library and they have an evening all ages storytime that Kait goes to weekly - Maddie and I sometimes miss it if she's napping or irritable and I often leave the husband to attend and just browse the books instead. But it's the ebooks that have made me into a library reader. I am HORRIBLE with due dates. I've only had any success with not racking up huge fines when I lived in Vancouver and the library was right there at my bus stop. In Korea I occasionally had access to a school library, but otherwise there wasn't much library access in English and so I became a big used books fan. I love that this way I can't fail to return by the due date. I do borrow the odd graphic novel or DVD when we are there for storytime and we take out books for Kait, one for each day of the week.

message 19: by Kristel (last edited Jun 01, 2017 08:49AM) (new)

Kristel (kristelmedinamd) | 49 comments Hello there!! It's my very first time in this weekly check-in and I'm very excited about this reading challenge.
Today is a very sunny day in Arequipa, Peru and a lovely day for reading (but what day isn't?).

This week I finished:
First Frost by Sarah Addison Allen
The second book of the Waverley Family and I really liked it. Got to know much more about the characters and truly really know them by heart.
NOS4A2 by Joe Hill
This one I used for the challenge in the category of a bestseller from a genre you don't normally read. I loved it!! I don't normally read horror books but this one really blew my mind. Disturbing as hell but the thing I loved about it was the perfectly-imperfect heroin.

I'll start reading The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald and use it in the category of a book you bought on a trip, since I purchased it at the Shakespeare and Company library in Paris last month.

QOTW: I am not a member of my town's library but I truly experience a sense of relief when I am in one. The thing is I never stuck in a city long enough to become the member of one, but maybe it's just that I'm lazy. Anyway, since I moved back home I discovered they have opened a new library in the name of Mario Vargas Llosa since he was born here in Arequipa, so I'll find out how I can acquire some sort of membership.

See you next week!

message 20: by Dani (new)

Dani Weyand | 289 comments Hello from Columbus! We had a nice low key Memorial Day weekend. Today is my sons last day of early intervention (think pre-preschool if you're unfamiliar) so summer freedom is finally here.

This week I finished:
Anna Karenina as my author from a country you've never visited pick. My initial opinion from last week still stands, great book but Anna is a damn mess. I loved Tolstoy's writing style and his characters are so well written.

Mildred Pierce was my book with a title that's a character's name. I had seen part of the first episode of the HBO miniseries a while ago and really liked it. So I figured I'd read the book before I went back to finish it. I had absolutely no idea what to expect going into so it was a wild ride. I thought I was getting a story of a smart and motivated woman in the depression making a life for herself after a divorce, that is most definitely not they kind of book it ended up being. At least it ended on kind of a good note because I might have had a fit otherwise.

Olive Kitteridge was a second pick for a title that's a character's name. This was another HBO miniseries that I loved, I actually finished it though. The book went by pretty fast and I absolutely loved it.

So that brings me to 29/40; 3/12 with 41 titles read this year.

QOTW: we are library members but I never really go. This summer my daughter wants to do their summer reading challenge and it involves attending some of their group activities and events.

message 21: by Christy (new)

Christy | 351 comments Hello everyone! I didn't make as much progress as expected this past week, but that's okay. I'm on schedule and currently reading some fascinating books, so I'll take my time with them.

I finished Clockwork Angel for my book with a mythical creature since I'm, like, pretty sure vampires aren't real. :-) The references to Victorian lit were a bit ham-handed (kinda like hey y'all look what I read!!), but it'll give me an excuse to read Wuthering Heights or A Tale of Two Cities for my book mentioned in another book, so I can't complain too much. That brings me to 26/52!

I'm currently reading a bunch of books:
Lincoln in the Bardo is a bit stalled right now, but I'll get back to it (genre I've never heard of).
A Fine Balance--just started this one, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I'm reading it for my book club with my brother, but hopefully it'll fit a prompt. Set during wartime? Over a character's life span? I don't know yet!
One of Us: The Story of Anders Breivik and the Massacre in Norway--This book is SO interesting, simultaneously giving me a good introduction to the culture and recent history of Norway and a look into the lives and formative experiences of people involved in the massacre. I'm learning a lot. I do expect the actual descriptions of the killings to be extremely difficult to read, so I'm bracing myself for that.

QOTW: I love libraries in general, and I am lucky to have the central branch of our library system two blocks from my office. I head over several times a week during my lunch break to check out books and get my blood moving. I also attend programs--a couple weeks ago I saw a talk by Jessamyn Stanley, author of Every Body Yoga: Let Go of Fear. Get On the Mat. Love Your Body., which was a fantastic experience.

message 22: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 242 comments Chinook wrote: "I have had a slow week of reading. I'm noticing a bit of a pattern: a week of non-stop reading followed by a week where I listen to podcasts more than I read.

This week of reading had an unintent..."

After reading about your first two books (The Bedwetter and one on potty training), your third book, The Road to Little Dribbling, sounded an awful lot like the path to the bathroom in my house when the kids were toddlers! :-)

message 23: by Chinook (last edited Jun 01, 2017 10:31AM) (new)

Chinook | 731 comments Hahahaha. I hadn't even noticed that! Apparently I've got pee on he mind ;)

message 24: by Christine (new)

Christine McCann | 449 comments Hey! I managed to:
a.) Finish some books
b.) Remember it's Thursday

Go me!

I finished Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos, which I started back in 2015. (And later realized I already owned a hard copy when I bought the Kindle version - oh well!) I really enjoyed it and definitely recommend it to anyone interested in Lovecraftian fiction and how his work influenced other writers, from his collaborators all the way to Stephen King. There are a few duds, but most of the stories are excellent.

I began and finished The Time Machine on Monday. I couldn't believe how addicted I was to it! (Also it's short.) I think I saw the dumb Guy Pearce movie version and was totally turned off by it, but I'm so glad I gave it a shot. I'll be seeking out more Wells, because I was so impressed by both his vision and his storytelling!

Cheri, thanks for linking The Bonobo and the Atheist - I'm definitely going to check that out!

QOTW: We are members and went a lot when I was at home with younger kids. Since I started full time employment we fell off a lot, but I'm getting back into it. I LOVE just walking around and seeing what strikes me. Plus, where else can I satisfy my graphic novel cravings without breaking the bank?

Wake County has an excellent system with easy library transfers, and a wonderful online hold and (IMPORTANT) renewal capability.

We also do tons of Overdrive audiobooks for my 9yo, who falls asleep listening to them and needs a steady supply of new stories.

message 25: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5348 comments Mod
LOL I had that same thought when I saw "Little Dribbling"!! Good luck w the potty training - sometimes it's easy and sometimes it's not.

message 26: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Kiefer | 118 comments Hello from Cleveland! I planned to get a lot of reading down over Memorial Day weekend, but all I mostly managed to do was binge-read The Terror for Around the Year. (Ugh, another 2* read for that challenge!) I'm really interested to see how AMC adapts it later this year, because the potential is certainly there.

I read Summer Is My Favorite Season: A Memoir of Childhood and War in Kosovo by Ilir Berisha for a book with a season in the title. (I feel like I should get bonus points for having a season name and the actual word season there!) Since I was born in the early 90's, I'm too young to remember the conflict and we never got there in school, so it was very educational. I thought the author did an excellent job of recounting his experiences through the lens of childhood, when you sort of accept whatever you experience as "normal." I did find the language remained too simple as he aged, the book proper ending when he's around 14. Normally I wouldn't criticize someone who learned English starting in high school, but he did graduate with a degree in creative writing from an American university, so I'm not sure if it's a language barrier or a stylistic choice.

QOTW: It's almost embarrassing, but I probably go to my library 2-4 times a week, depending on when my many, many holds are ready for pick-up. I also constantly use the inter-library loan system (I can get materials from any public or institutional library in Ohio), which is awesome. So many translated works for my personal challenge of reading a book from every country come from university libraries.

We also have amazing authors visits - Colson Whitehead and Margaret Atwood are coming in the fall! And while we're a long ways away from having a kid, I can't wait to eventually take them to all the storytime programs. My only wish is we had a better summer reading program for adults - the goal is to read 16 hours, which I can do in 1-2 weeks, so it's not very challenging!

message 27: by Sara Grace (new)

Sara Grace | 123 comments Hello!

Books read:
The School of Essential Ingredients: for a book about food. It was a light, easy read. Can't stand reading about food when I'm trying to diet though ;)

The Bridges of Madison County: A story within a story. I didn't pick this up as a challenge book but decided afterwards that since it is a frame story, it works. May swap out later. This book reminded me a lot of Nicholas Sparks and I wonder if he was inspired by this story? I couldn't find articles that might back that theory up. Anyway, typical doomed from the beginning love story.

The Shining Girls: This could work for a book with a red spine. Also could be a book set in two different time periods (1930's and 1990's mainly). My coworker recommended it, so I could have used it as a librarian recommendation (loosely, she and I are non-MLIS catalog assistants). The book was gory and interesting! It was like a historical fiction/horror/fantasy mix and had interesting time loops like Inception.

Audiobooks finished:
Sabriel: Loved this audiobook! It was read by Tim Curry. It was fantastic.

A Dog's Purpose: What is with dog stories and making you cry?

Working on:
Feminist Fight Club: An Office Survival Manual for a Sexist Workplace: Didn't read any of this at all last week. I'll have to finish it this week.

The Fault in Our Stars: Starting this today when I get home from work!

Lincoln in the Bardo: : Listening to the audiobook. I know it's an all-star cast but it's really confusing as an audiobook. The book is bizarre (can't decide if it is great or really whacko).

QOTW I work at a university library, so I have access to a lot of books at work. We purchase NY Times bestsellers and a few other non-academic fiction and non-fiction books, but it's not like a public library, where there is more to choose from for everyday readers. That being said, I've been increasingly fed up with going to the public libraries (everywhere - I've moved a lot in the past decade) having only books from the past 5 years. I cannot find books I want to read. I want to go more often though, and at least use the books they have (or request other books from other libraries). I also use OverDrive for my ebooks and audiobooks from public library systems.

message 28: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (baronessekat) | 108 comments I finished two books this week. One for the challenge:

For "first book in a series you've never read before" (which also fulfills "book that's been on your TBR list for too long" Please Don't Tell My Parents I'm a Supervillain. It was so much fun that I jumped right into and finished the second book

Please Don't Tell My Parents I Blew Up The Moon. It too went quick and was fun.

I am in progress with two books (only one for the challenge)

I have started book 3 of the "please don't tell my parents" with Please Don't Tell My Parents I've Got Henchmen

And because someone dared me to read it (never dare someone who loves to read to read something) I started Amish Vampires in Space. And it will fill the advanced topic "book from a genre you've never heard of before" as I had not heard of "Amish Lit" let alone "Amish Horror Sci-Fi". I'm at chapter 5 and so far it is no where near as bad as I had feared from the title.

QOTW:

I use my library all the time. I am working on a big research paper and ILL has become my friend. Not to mention using it to get books I want to read for the challenge that are not in my library system.

I also use it a lot for borrowing movies as well as general reading.

message 29: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (baronessekat) | 108 comments Chinook - I felt the same way when I readThe Road to Little Dribbling: Adventures of an American in Britain last year for "book about a road trip". I wondered if he actually liked British people because man he was grumpy and crabby throughout it.

message 30: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Moore | 64 comments I haven't checked in for ages :-( BUT I have continued to read and plan to update my list tonight!

My kids and I go to the local library every week and tonight are attending the annual summer reading program kick off picnic! We love our library and all of its programs!

message 31: by Sara Grace (last edited Jun 01, 2017 11:00AM) (new)

Sara Grace | 123 comments Rebecca wrote: "Hello from Cleveland! I planned to get a lot of reading down over Memorial Day weekend, but all I mostly managed to do was binge-read The Terror for Around the Year. (Ugh, another 2* re..."

AHHH!!! I used to live in Cleveland! I went to Baldwin Wallace for college. Cuyahoga County is a fantastic library system!! Honestly, most of Ohio has great libraries. I'm so jealous!

message 32: by Julie (new)

Julie | 172 comments Hi everyone!

I have no finishes to report this week, I'm still holding at 46/52. I've been super busy getting ready for an adoption home study so I probably won't be reading much at all until Monday or Tuesday.

I have made progress in my 800+ page book, 11/22/63, which I really like so far. I'm about 35% in. I'm also listening to Snow Crash via audio but don't think I've made any progress on that this week.

QOTW: I am definitely a huge library user! My parents used to take my sister and I to the local, tiny rural library in our town for story hour, and then we'd wander around afterward and come home with loads of books. I still heavily utilize my local library, both electronically via Overdrive and for physical books as well. At any given time I probably have a hold list that's reached the maximum limit, and I find any excuse to stop by the library. I haven't attended any programming, but our library has tons of community programs I'm interested in. Every time I walk in, I see something I want to go to, but life happens, I get busy, and I never do. Maybe one of these days.

message 33: by Ann (last edited Jun 01, 2017 11:27AM) (new)

Ann | 83 comments Hey all!
Gently raining in Vancouver today :)

Currently at 26/40 for the challenge.

This week I read an ARC, for Two Nights. I am addicted to Kathy Reichs -- buuuut, this book was not that strong. Her other books are better written! The story got a bit messy and was hard to follow at times. Not using it for the challenge.

And I needed a bit of fun! So then I read, F in Exams: Pop Quiz: All New Awesomely Wrong Test Answers. Just funny! People writing in hilarious test answers -- my husband disagrees, thinking it was not funny (he even rolled his eyes a few times). Not for the challenge, just for fun.

I am now working on Tuesdays with Morrie. For the prompt, a book with a month or day of the week in the title. Surprised I've not read this before. I think I can only read this at home...I might cry!

QOTW: Love the local library. It is conveniently located about four blocks from me. The library has been essential this year, with doing this challenge. I'm usually over there every 2-3 weeks. The programs look good, but are mostly for children... and I don't have kids. They had a book-sale two years ago. My mom went nuts = seven boxes of books! Crazytime!

message 34: by Lynette (new)

Lynette | 80 comments I don't have any updates this week, but I am officially on summer break! (I teach 3rd Grade!)

QOTW: This morning, I was actually at my library signing up for the Summer Reading Program. It is probably the only program I participate in, but I'm there often enough that some of the librarians know me and always ask how I've been, if I haven't been in for a while!

message 35: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 346 comments Happy June!
I am in the midst of grading final exams (84 essays about physics written by 9th graders!) and rewarding myself between sets with a chapter of a book.

After a week of zero finishes, I was due for a big week - 5 books!

Northanger Abbey which I thought had a lot of promise but kind of fizzled out for me. I have a goal of 12 classics from around the world during the 2nd quarter, and this was my UK entry.

Lilac Girls which I read to fit the Popsugar "war" theme for May. I really liked it and thought it was a less romantic version of WWII than many other books - the brutality was more in your face, which I think is appropriate if difficult.

Daytripper - a quick graphic novel to cleanse after a couple of dense books. Pretty good, especially the art.

The Age of Innocence was my US entry for the classics challenge, and brings me up to 4 of 12 for my goal, with one month left. I loved this book! Maybe because it was written about an earlier period by a 20th century writer. It reminded me a bit of Gatsby, which I loved in school, but even better. I think a female writer brings something different, and I'll be reading more Edith Wharton in the future. Definitely my favorite classic of the year so far, and that's including Anna Karenina, Middlemarch, and Mrs. Dalloway.

And I just finished up Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk for the Popsugar advanced prompt on a book that takes place over a character's lifespan. It was also wonderful! A really great combination of character study, commentary on society, and "slice of life".

QOTW: I use the San Francisco public library constantly. During the school year, I checked out a lot more ebooks (Overdrive) than paper, but I also walk by a branch on my way to work so I could pick up and drop off books really easily. During the summer, I try to walk to my home local branch every few days. They do have some interesting programs on site but I've never actually done any of them. I have found their monthly reading suggestions to be spot on in the past.

message 36: by Emanuel (new)

Emanuel | 249 comments olá from sunny Portugal, this week I finishedA Casa da Rússia for thriller spionage and startedHúmus for difficult topic(death).
QOTW: I don't have the habit to go to librarys, is far of home, sad for me.

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 832 comments Nicole wrote: "Week 22 - 28/40 & 8/12 (36/52)

This week, I finished Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper. It is a children's/middle school-aged book, but I loved it! I used it for prompt #13, a book..."

I am so jealous! If my library had dogs I would never leave!

message 38: by Larissa (new)

Larissa Langsather (langsather) | 100 comments I am going to try to be okay that I only usually finish one book a week (not often counting all the picture books I read), but you all make me feel so jealous at your ability to read so quickly and so often.

Any way I finished The Book Thief today just a little late for the monthly read. I really enjoyed it but it did have a few problems for me too. I think I might like the movie just a tiny bit better (hides from "the book is always better than the movie" people). I am proud that it is my 2nd over 500 pager this year though! I don't know if I have ever done that before and if I could just do the last few pages of The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto I could make it three!

I am about to start The Invisible Library based on the suggestions for an espionage book because I wasn't super looking forward to this prompt. Now I am also not looking forward to reading The Woman in Cabin 10 either- am I in a rut? I did finish Around the World on Eighty Legs: Animal Poems: Animal Poems so I might replace this book for that prompt if I can't get into the monthly read.

Progress: 20/40 and 1/12
QoTW: I LOVE the library. We visit the library at least once a week. We have the best children's librarian! My kids are so shy and reclusive I have a hard time getting them to participate in the programs- though I keep trying. We do the Summer Reading program because there are always so many fun prizes. Almost all of us have won something so far. I almost wish we didn't go on vacation so often because I feel like I am missing out on all the library has to offer. Our library is technically not local to us- it is in a town over but I stalk the page for holds like it is my job. I have only been to 2 of the book club meetings- it always conflicts with my church obligations and they did have movie night for adults awhile back that I attended. I could go on and on about my history with libraries and how much I appreciate being able to read as much as I do.

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 832 comments Hi guys. I work in hospitality so no four day week for me but the sun has been shining every day so it's not been too bad. I managed to get a ticket to the Manchester benefit concert this morning so it has been quite a good week.

Unfortunately I haven't finished a single book this week (oh the shame!) but I did start two including the "big" one so next week should be more productive. Those books are The Way of Kings and V for Vendetta. I think the former is going to take me quite a while to get through because it's huuuuuuuge!

QOTW: I use the library all the time. The little library where I live is a bit rubbish but the hotel I work in is literally opposite the big city library and I go there all the time. There are programmes and activities going on all the time but they're always in the middle of the day so only really useful to people who don't work the standard 9-5

message 40: by Allison (new)

Allison | 116 comments Hi, everyone! I'm liking the Book of the Month selections for June. Does anyone else subscribe? What are you going to choose?

Completed this week (Total 41/52):
Anne of Green Gables on audiobook, read by Rachel McAdams for the "first book in a series you haven't read before." Yeah, I'm not sure how I've never read this before, it was delightful.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies for "a book in a genre/subgenre you've never heard of" (Mannerpunk). This was pretty silly, but overall entertaining. I would have liked it better if it was a bit abridged.

QOTW: I use the library quite a bit. For a while I had slipped into buying a lot of books and ebooks, but then last year I made it a goal to not buy a single book for myself for the entire year and that got me back into the library habit. I mostly check out ebooks and e-audiobooks or just run in real quick to pick up holds, but we do go about once a month and browse the kids section. Sometimes we catch the Saturday story-time session, and I have been to some author visits but not recently. We will participate in the summer reading program, but it's mostly just logging your books/minutes and earning a coupon for a free ice cream cone or something. My library just announced that they are replacing Overdrive and 3M Cloud Library with a "new" ebook and audiobook provider. We already have Hoopla, also, so I'm not sure what it will be. But at least if the content is lacking I can get a library card from a neighboring county and access Overdrive through their system.

message 41: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (ninmin30) | 49 comments Hey readers!

This week I finished two books. I had two weddings this past weekend - each in a different city! Needless to say, I was exhausted and didn't get too much reading done. This week so far has been slow getting into my current book as well.

First, I finished Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls, and Everything in Between. I listened to this on audio and LOVED it. Like a few other people have mentioned, this is a must read for anyone who loves Gilmore Girls. The only thing I missed out on was getting to see the pictures, but I think Lauren's narration added a ton to the book as well.

Second, I finished Rabbit Cake. I picked up this book in an indie bookstore on a trip earlier this year, simply because it had a huge rabbit on the cover and it was bright yellow. I was not disappointed though! It was a really good read and is a lot darker than the cover makes it out to be. Would recommend!

QOTW: I am OBSESSED with the library. I go at least once a week, if not more. It really depends on how fast I get through the books I am reading from there.

message 42: by Megan (new)

Megan | 8 comments This week I only read one book Fates and Furies. I'm using this for a book with an eccentric character.

I am currently reading The Night Circus which i might slightly cheat on and use for book with red spine (it's half red). I'm having a really hard time getting into the book though so I'm not sure if I'll finish.

QOTW: I love the library. I'm the type of person who only reads a book once, even my favorites , so I hate buying books because they just take up space. Because of this, I get all my books from the library. I usually go every couple of weeks. I haven't attended any programs at my library because they mostly hold them for kids, but maybe it's something I'll pay closer attention to!

message 43: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn | 25 comments I haven't done a weekly update in a while so I have a lot of books to update! I have read This Present Darkness for my story within a story. This might be stretching it a little bit but I'm counting it because there are things going on behind the scenes that the other characters don't know about. Another book I've finished is The Book Thief as my book with an unreliable narrator. Thirdly, I've read Wonder for my book about a person with a disability. This puts me at 22/52.

I am currently halfway through Code Name Verify for my espionage thriller. I don't find it particularly "thrilling" but it's interesting enough to finish.

message 44: by Margie (new)

Margie Nadine wrote: "Wow it's Thursday already?! The week flies by when Monday is a holiday!

This week I finished three books, one of them ended up fulfilling a Challenge category, so I am now at 45/52. My goal is to..."

Totally with you on Dark Matter. I finished but was a slog.

message 45: by Margie (new)

Margie It's been awhile since I've checked in but I'm making progress. This month:

The Essential Earthman: Henry Mitchell on Gardening for book you've read before that never fails to make you smile. If you love gardening, this one is a must-read classic.

The Cuckoo's Calling for author who uses a pseudonym. Not awesome but a solid read. Will definitely read the next one.

Slow Horses an espionage thriller. I'm always up for British spies and MI6. I'm happy to have found a great new series.

Anything Is Possible for book published in 2017. Bleak but excellent. Not quite as good a Lucy Barton which I absolutely loved, but excellent.

I belong to a couple local libraries and use them all the time. But I don't attend any events.

message 46: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (danimgill) | 45 comments I also haven't checked in for a while but I've been making slow and steady progress!

This week I finished A Room of One's Own where I promptly fell in love with Virgina Woolf's prose and Do Zombies Dream of Undead Sheep?: A Neuroscientific View of the Zombie Brain, which was a very cool book that teaches basic neuroscience by applying it to diagnosing the zombie condition.

I am currently reading Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail on my kindle, The Luminaries in paperback, and The Brothers Karamazov via the Serial Reader app. If you want to read more classics I highly recommend it! It gives you 10-15 minute long chunks of classic books every day, so it makes it very manageable to take down tomes like Les Mis or War and Peace (they have short things too, that's where I read Lady Susan).

QOTW: I love my local library! I don't visit terribly often in person, which is a shame (especially since I am all of two blocks away from my closest branch) but I rely on them heavily for ebook and audiobook borrowing on Overdrive and Hoopla. I also am about to start a job as a library clerk at the public library one city over from me and I am beyond excited!

message 47: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Smith | 66 comments Checking in again after missing last week. I finished The Book Thief and The Remains of the Day (Book with a story within a story) over the past two weeks. Both were good reads if a bit melancholy. That takes me to 31/52; plugging away.

This week I picked up The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line as an audiobook to listen to during a day trip for work. It’s enjoyable to hear Kristin Bell read the audiobook and I can picture the show so clearly in my mind as I listen to the story. It’s a fun read if you were a Veronica Mars fan; otherwise it is just your run of the mill mystery.

QOTW: I’m a massive fan of my library. 90% or better of my reading is supplied by the library and I’m lucky to have a great system here in Boston. I also happen to work across the street from the central branch so I actually go there for lunch many days if I’m working from the office and not on the road. There is a little café on the first level, a beautiful courtyard and good people watching. It makes for a nice break mid-day and let's me step away from my desk and get out of the office for a bit.

message 48: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 731 comments Do you need to watch the Veronica Mars movie before reading the book?

message 49: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments Holy crap I forgot it was Thursday! So I'm late checking in and don't have time right now to read through all the responses.
I finished Twilight Children by Torey Hayden which I realized when I finished I have already read but I'm counting it because I had no recollection of most of it lol this is so bizarre because I usually have an awesome memory for books I've read. The weirdest thing is that it covers 3 of her patients and I remember 1 really well, 1 I didn't remember how it ends and I have zero recollection of the third!
Anyway, I am working on My Beloved World by Sonia Sotomayor. It's a library book club thing and I'm not that interested but it's alright.

QOTW
I love my library. I am part of the book club, I get at least 75% of my books from there and I frequently take my kids to the programs and activities they put on. In my province you can also get a library card from our capital's library no matter where you live in the province to take out ebooks so I have that as well.

message 50: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 355 comments The days are getting longer each day and now the "night" is only about 5 hours, and even after sunset or before sunrise it's not really that dark. The night will still feels long for me because I used to live further north and the day is almost an hour longer there. But it's cold for the season and apparently it even snows somewhere. It isn't normal to have same temperatures in June than during the winter.

I haven't been reading much but I started a poetry audiobook, read by the author himself in 1965, just before he was killed in an accident. It was published again last year for his 100th birthday and apparently it was also the first book recording by that publisher, so it's quite interesting to listen to it. I have even visited his old home which is now a small museum.

I also started another audiobook, kind of like a fictional diary or autobiography, about Paavo Nurmi who has been said to be one of the greatest Olympic athletes ever, Time even chose him THE greatest Olympian in 1996. Currently (in the book) he is practicing for the Paris Olympics in 1924 and two of his competitions start 50 minutes apart, so first he takes part and wins 1500 m and a little over an hour later he wins 5000 m, and both with Olympic records. He was also a bit controversial character, for example he only agreed to an interview for his 70th birthday after learning that the President would act as the interviewer. Actually I just read about a new biography about him (it would be his 120th birthday this month) that when he was in the US in 1964 he had been invited to the White House but he wasn't that interested as he had already met the then Vice President Johnson the previous year...

QOTW: I wouldn't say I am a "member" of our library because I would say everyone is but of course I have a library card, like I have had since I was 5. I think I still have library cards to four different libraries, or these days they are actually library networks, because I have lived in different towns, so I could borrow books from dozens of libraries, so I think I am pretty well set. When I was in first grade the town library was actually in the middle of our school grounds, so it was easy to visit even during the school day. In the summer I usually rode a bike there, almost every day it feels now. Then it moved to maybe about 100 m from my home... I don't usually take part in any programs they have, even now when I live in a much bigger city, mainly because I don't usually remember to check them or remember to go or because they don't really interest me and there are not that many of them anyway. I did take part in library quizzes three times and every time we won it with my partner and got a choose a book. Now they don't have them anymore, I think the librarian moved to another library.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.