SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Monthly Nominations > July - August Book of the Month (Sunshine Noir)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janice (new)

Janice | 1820 comments Mod
One Nomination per person (2 if you really can't decide).

The book you nominate has to be themed "Sunshine Noir"

Nominations will be open until the 10th of June.

Carolien describes Sunshine Noir as:
It's the opposite of Scandinavian noir, so crime thrillers set in warm locations e.g. Africa, South America, southern part of the USA, places like Spain, Greece, Australia etc. The term was coined by Annamaria Alfieri referring to the Inspector Kubu series which is set in Botswana and has now spawned a genre. I saw a reference to it last night in an article on Mike Nicol's latest book as well. There's a collection of short stories out based on the concept - Sunshine Noir

*** Can you host the discussion if your nomination is chosen? ***

To be a discussion Host you are agreeing to:
- read the book you nominated at the beginning of the month, if you haven't already read it.
- start the discussion in both the spoiler and spoiler-free threads by posting your thoughts and a few simple questions for readers to think/talk about
- inform the group if you're unable to host the discussion or will only be reading the book later in the month.

You may also offer to be the Host for someone else's nomination.

Authors and publishers may NOT nominate their own books for monthly discussions. Similarly, no one is permitted to rig the polls by inviting others or creating sockpuppets to join the group and vote for a book/author. Such votes will be disregarded and the book/author in question may be removed from the poll entirely.

Please tell us why you are nominating a certain book/author or why you want to read the book/author.

message 2: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Think Heat Wave would count?

message 3: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) | 1989 comments Mod
Lu (Sugar & Snark) wrote: "Think Heat Wave would count?"

Not really. You're looking for the lower south of USA - think Florida, Texas, etc.

Pretty much anywhere in South America (excluding the bit near Antarctica and the Andes) and Africa will work.

Australia and most of southern Asia like India, Malaysia etc also warm enough.

South Europe - Spain, Italy, Greece etc also options.

message 4: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Thanks! Lemme find something on my TBR list :D

message 5: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
I think I found 2:

Why You Were Taken by J.T. Lawrence and Muti Nation by Monique Snyman

message 6: by Janice (new)

Janice | 1820 comments Mod
I nominate: Exhibit A by Sarah Lotz.

Exhibit A (Georgie Allen, #1) by Sarah Lotz

I love Sarah Lotz.

message 7: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) | 1989 comments Mod
Nice selection, they all qualify. I read Exhibit A earlier this year and enjoyed it, but it's very Cape Townian.

I nominate A Beautiful Place to Die and Nairobi Heat