2021 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2017 > Amber Voyles 50 books for 2017

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amber (new)

Amber (alvoyles79) Hello Everyone! I am not new to Goodreads but I am new to the Reading Challenge and being involved with a group as well. I just thought it might be nice to have a group to talk with about my love of books. I am not real sure how these folders and threads work for sure. (Give me a break!! I prefer to have my nose in a book!) My favorite reading is going old school. There is nothing as great as the smell of a new book with the exception of the really old used book. I did however 2 years ago break down and get a kindle. I am out of room on my many bookshelf and I have two huge boxes in my garage full of books. I only keep the ones I love!! My favorite genre is urban fantasy but I also like horror as well. Stephen King is pretty damn amazing and his son Joe Hill is pretty good as well (I really enjoyed Heart Shaped Box!). I am always looking for new stuff to read so any recommendations would be welcome, however I am really stuck to my genre and rarely venture outside of it. My poor mom hates that about me but isn't surprised. I have always enjoyed fantasy novels even as a young child. Although Sci-fi is often grouped with fantasy, I am not a sci-fi fan at all. I look forward to meeting so great new book loving friends and finding new books from recommendations. Nice to meet y'all!!
Amber

message 2: by Nik (new)

Nik (bleepnik) | 852 comments Hey, Amber, welcome to the group. Good luck with your reading this year; I look forward to seeing which books you end up enjoying the most. =)

You can check out some of our threads for ideas. For example, I just use mine as a straight-up book log in the form of a very simple list. But others in our group do a much more amazing job, including little summaries and mini reviews and whatnot. A few examples for inspiration:
- Lady Clementine
- Joy D
- Klynn

Our Let's Chat discussion area is a good place for us to get to know each other better. You might enjoy the "struggles readers face" discussion we had a little while back; it sounds like you can probably identify with many of them, like the rest of us do. =P

I've been meaning to check out Joe Hill's work, but haven't taken the time to do that yet. In the meantime, if you ever feel like venturing out of your comfort zone (our reading challenges are great for that), I've been recommending The Night Circus and the Fairyland series to pretty much anyone who'll listen. Both can be categorised as fantasy, but not urban fantasy.

Nice to meet you. Have fun. =)

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3262 comments Welcome to the group, Amber!

There isn't a particular way to format these threads. Everyone just does what works for them :)
I use my challenge thread to keep track of my thoughts and opinions on the books I've read. And my corner for the challenges I join throughout the year.

I've had "Heart Shaped Box" in my possession for about 10 years and haven't read it yet for some reason, so I need to get to it!

Best of luck with your goal this year!

message 4: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Amber wrote: "I also like horror as well. Stephen King is pretty damn amazing and his son Joe Hill is pretty good as well ..."

Me too! Have read a lot of Stephen Kings when I was young, read only his books for a while, but then got enough. Have brought them down from the attic last week to check which ones I have read so I can start reading the rest of his books.
Recently I have found out about his son writing horror stories too so will have to try them out as well!