You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Group Themed Reads: Discussions > June 2017 - The Night Sister

Comments Showing 1-50 of 108 (108 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15076 comments One of the group reads for June is The Night Sister by Jennifer McMahon. Please discuss the book in this thread.

The discussion leader is Janice.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. have completed the book before or during June 2017.
2. discussed it in this thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in this thread.
3. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread (include a brief summary of what you thought of the book).

General Rules:
1. Please mark your spoilers with the spoiler tags along with mentioning what stage of the book you are at so other's don't get a nasty shock. Chapter numbers/titles are generally best as they are the same across all formats and editions.
2. The book may be combined with the Year Long Challenge, Topplers, and Monthly Challenges.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48687 comments I won't be starting the book until after the toppler. But feel free to start whenever you are ready.

I just reread the book blurb and I think we're going to be in for a wild ride.

The book is structured in sections designating the Year and the POV (or I presume it's POV)

- Amy
- Jason

- Rose
- Rose
- Rose (and so on)

When commenting, please put the year, the POV and the page number you're at. I know that page numbers are relative to whichever issue you are reading, but at least it will let us know roughly where you are in the book.

Please remember to mark your spoilers. And happy reading.

message 3: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1646 comments I have this from the library, and will also start after the toppler week is over.

message 4: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15076 comments Silver is back, and she will take over leading the discussion :)

message 5: by Roz (new)

Roz | 3623 comments I'm reading the kindle version. It's starting off pretty creepy.

message 6: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48687 comments Peggy wrote: "Silver is back, and she will take over leading the discussion :)"

Phew! I was happy to take over in a pinch, but even happier that Silver is going to lead this discussion.

I probably won't start the book now until middle of June.

I'm tempted to say, "Hi-ho! Silver!" But, I'll just say, "Take it away, Silver". Oh, dang it. I think I said it anyway.

message 7: by Silver (new)

Silver | 467 comments Sorry fir not being active until now, but things have been a little hectic but I should be able to post more regularly now.

(view spoiler)

message 8: by Silver (new)

Silver | 467 comments 1955

(view spoiler)

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen Rashid | 137 comments I am hoping to join I'm on this discussion but I am listening to the audio version which is typically slow going for me.

message 10: by Silver (new)

Silver | 467 comments 2013

(view spoiler)

message 11: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Karen wrote: "I am hoping to join I'm on this discussion but I am listening to the audio version which is typically slow going for me."

No worries about pace Karen - no hurry - we have all month!

message 12: by Laura (Lclwags) (new)

Laura (Lclwags) (lclwags) | 517 comments I started this on my flight because it was too soon to start my toppler books. I didn't want to stop reading it! I want to discover all of the secrets. I put it down until after the toppler is over, but I'll be back on June 11th! :)

message 13: by Lori (new)

Lori (glitzyrebel) | 433 comments I have only read the sampler available on Kindle....can't wait to see what happens next when the hard copy gets here on Thursday! I have been looking forward to reading this one after reading "The Winter People" a while back.

message 14: by Silver (new)

Silver | 467 comments Lori wrote: "I have only read the sampler available on Kindle....can't wait to see what happens next when the hard copy gets here on Thursday! I have been looking forward to reading this one after reading "The ..."

I loved The Winter People. I am a big fan of McMahon's writing. I love the way she weaves mystery with the supernatural.

message 15: by Silver (new)

Silver | 467 comments 1989

(view spoiler)

message 16: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1646 comments With toppler week over, I will begin reading this tomorrow probably.

message 17: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1646 comments 1989, Jason, page 75.

I keep subjecting myself to books from genres I don't enjoy, because I am trying to read more outside my comfort zone, and once in awhile I discover a great story (eg. We Have Always Lived in the Castle). I don't think this is going to be one of those great finds for me, but hopefully I'm wrong about that.

This is a quick read, with uncomplicated writing. There has been (view spoiler)

message 18: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1646 comments Oh, and one thing that is really beginning to bug me is (view spoiler).

message 19: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9411 comments I started the book yesterday.

2013- I have many questions of course, but we are just starting. I was confused at the beginning with so many female names, but I finally got them (I think).
The writing is just ok, but the story seems engaging.

message 20: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48687 comments I'll be starting tonight and I'm looking forward to it.

message 21: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1646 comments 1961, letter to Hitchcock, page 186

(view spoiler)

message 22: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9411 comments 1955, pages 19 to 47.
(view spoiler)

message 23: by Lori (new)

Lori (glitzyrebel) | 433 comments This was a quick read!! I stayed up much too late...two nights in a row reading "just one more chapter".

message 24: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15076 comments What did you think of it Lori?

message 25: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48687 comments I got a good start on the book last night. It's promising to be quite creepy. I had the heebie jeebies right off the bat.

2013 - first section - Amy, Jason, Piper (view spoiler)

message 26: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9411 comments Janice, (view spoiler)

message 27: by Silver (new)

Silver | 467 comments Sandra wrote: "I started the book yesterday.

2013- I have many questions of course, but we are just starting. I was confused at the beginning with so many female names, but I finally got them (I think).
The wri..."

The begining was a bit confusing for me as well as far as keeping track of the different characters and how they were related to each other,m

message 28: by Silver (new)

Silver | 467 comments Sandra wrote: "1955, pages 19 to 47.
Slowly the plot starts to get thicker. I don't think Rose is a weird girl, I think she is an introvert, and in the shadows of her sister. Was it a nightmare what she had? Who ..."

Good observation about Rose being an introvert. Even today introverts are regarded as being odd by many but in the mid 50s -60s I think being introvertrd would have been less sociably acceptable than today.

I am currious to hear more of her story.

message 29: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9411 comments Silver wrote: "Even today introverts are regarded as being odd "

Totally true.

message 30: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9411 comments 2013, from page 48 to 67 (view spoiler)

message 31: by Sandra (last edited Jun 13, 2017 06:57PM) (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9411 comments 1989, from page 68 to 98 (view spoiler)

Silver, regarding the same part (view spoiler)

message 32: by Lori (new)

Lori (glitzyrebel) | 433 comments Peggy wrote: "What did you think of it Lori?"

Don't read my spoiler until you have finished the book.
(view spoiler)

message 33: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15076 comments Please be careful when you quote spoilers. GR sometimes shows the spoiler text in the quote. Luckily now there's nothing important in it, but best to always check :)

message 34: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Peggy wrote: "Please be careful when you quote spoilers. GR sometimes shows the spoiler text in the quote. Luckily now there's nothing important in it, but best to always check :)"

For info, this tends to happen when you have clicked on the "view spoiler" link, read it, then hit "reply". If you make sure the spoiler is closed again by clicking "hide spoiler" before you hit "reply" it won't show up in the "suchandsuch wrote" bit.

message 35: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9411 comments Yes, I noticed that about view/hide spoilers.

message 36: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48687 comments I finished the first 1955 section.

(view spoiler)

message 37: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9411 comments I was wondering the same thing, Janice. (view spoiler) We'll see.

message 38: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1646 comments I'm finished.
(view spoiler)

message 39: by Silver (new)

Silver | 467 comments 1961 pg. 145

In regards to message 31

(view spoiler)

message 40: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9411 comments Silver, Re: your spoiler (view spoiler)

message 41: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48687 comments Thoughts to the end of the second 1955 Section - not quite 50% into the book. I find this really difficult to identify where I am in the book. I'm reading an ebook and it says page 283 of 702.

Sylvie has written a letter to Hitchcock about seeing the movie "The Trouble With Harry" - (view spoiler)

Backing up to 1989 - (view spoiler)

message 42: by Sandra (last edited Jun 17, 2017 04:59AM) (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9411 comments I am also having trouble knowing where in the book I am, how to label my spoilers, and which spoilers are safe to read... The way the book is separated in parts and chapters is not confusing when reading, but it makes difficult to manage spoilers.

Right now I am around 82% done, and I will probably finish the book today since I have a quite day ahead, I think. *fingers crossed*

Regarding your spoiler, Janice (view spoiler)

My impression so far is the story is engaging (I read yesterday way past my bedtime, because I couldn't put it down), but the characters are not deep enough, and the writing is way too simplistic. There are some good scenes that could have been great scenes if they've been written in a less lacking way. Most of the time it feels like a young adult novel to me. Maybe not the plot, but definitively the writing.

message 43: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Jun 16, 2017 01:18PM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48687 comments I don't have much of a feel for the characters at 50%. (view spoiler)

I really enjoyed The Winter People which is why I picked this book up. I thought maybe she had written Night Sisters first, but apparently not. Maybe she left it all on the table after Winter People, or perhaps she was writing for a different audience with Night Sisters. I'm not sure. Still, I'm enjoying Night Sisters - just wondering where it's headed.

message 44: by Sandra (last edited Jun 17, 2017 05:02AM) (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9411 comments I finished and gave it 3 stars. I am surprised nobody shelved it as YA, and I think I will. If I consider i a YA I see it as a better book.

I can't read spoilers now, but as soon as I recover my computer I will do it, and come back to comment too.

message 45: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9411 comments Janice, THE WINTER PEOPLE is in my TBR and I still would like to give it a try.

message 46: by Sandra (last edited Jun 17, 2017 05:02AM) (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9411 comments Just realized this book fits the task #33 in the Survey Challenge if you answered "none" to the question if you'd rather encounter a ghost or an alien.

message 47: by Lori (new)

Lori (glitzyrebel) | 433 comments TrudyAn wrote: "I'm finished.
Janice, yes, there was little of a psychological thriller here, definitely more of a supernatural story (it would be a stretch to call it a thriller). For a horror novel, it was unde..."

(view spoiler)

message 48: by Lori (new)

Lori (glitzyrebel) | 433 comments Janice wrote: "I don't have much of a feel for the characters at 50%. [spoilers removed]

I really enjoyed The Winter People which is why I picked this book up. I thought maybe she had written Nig..."

(view spoiler)

message 49: by Lori (new)

Lori (glitzyrebel) | 433 comments Sandra wrote: "Janice, THE WINTER PEOPLE is in my TBR and I still would like to give it a try."

The Winter People was a great read!!!

message 50: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9411 comments Finally I could read all the spoiler tags.

Read only when you finish the book (view spoiler)

That's all I can remember now. I'll be back. :)

« previous 1 3