flight paths discussion

What are you reading? > the jewels of june

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2219 comments well it is raining as May gives way to June but we can hope for some long luxurious days reading in the grass.
Please do comment on your summer reading plans!

message 2: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2219 comments it seems i have 6books on the go. 2 were due at the library a couple of days ago but i still need a bit more time with The Street Sweeper and with Clarice Lispectors mammoth book of short stories. The Mindfulness Solution is not really engaging me for some reason. Im more in the mood for wildness at the moment, not moderation! So i have 3 short books ive started: Awake is the marvelous poetry of Dorianne Laux; The Days is a quirky book that straddles genres; and a little self help book called Unfuck your Habitat by Rachel Hoffman.
Hope everyone is in fine form and am looking forward to hearing what books are engaging you right now

message 3: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1209 comments So happy it's finally June and the end of the school year is approaching. I have so many reading plans for this summer-including finally finishing Demons!

Right now, I'm still working on Murakami's new book of short stories, Men Without Women which I'm really liking. Not my favorite of his but really good nonetheless. And slowly working through The Long Goodbye which is bringing back so many memories of my mother's death.

A co-worker gave me a $25 kindle gift certificate! So kind of her (for a small favor I did her!) so I'm beside myself deciding what to spend it on! It's like Christmas for me (in a small but happy way).

What is everyone else reading?

message 4: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 55 comments No specific plans for summer other than to get caught up on some of the books on my shelf! I am participating in a Cross-Canada challenge and a Canadian Bingo so will focus on those. I also want to finish off some of the books which I have bought at author events. So much to read, so little time!!

I just finished Rainbow Valley, which is #7 of Anne of Green Gables series and hope to finish the remaining book and am not sure what is next...

message 5: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2219 comments A new Murakami!! ÷) I want a sequel to H to read more about the little people.
So Ellie, have you decided to take the summer off? That would be so great!
Last week was my moms birthday. She would have been 96. Itz hard to believe its been 14 yrs. She still looms pretty large in my life.
Nice to have you dropping in Susan. I am engaged as well with the cross canada reads with bingo always in mind. I never plan too far ahead, but i keep my eyes open. Hope your son is healing nicely.

message 6: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1209 comments Magdelanye wrote: "A new Murakami!! ÷) I want a sequel to H to read more about the little people.
So Ellie, have you decided to take the summer off? That would be so great!
Last week was my moms birthday. She would..."

I still miss my mom-and, amazingly, it's been almost 40 years! Love never stops.

I have decided to take the summer off. The money will be missed but the time is priceless.

Sadly, my order of Perishable Light has been cancelled, due to some problem with the seller. I'm going to keep trying to find a book of Cooley's poetry but it's difficult/expensive. What would you recommend?

message 7: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1209 comments @Magdelanye: I finished Men Without Women. The title story is particularly beautiful and I loved the story Kino. It's real vintage Murakami.

I too would like a sequel. Maybe we should write? (just kidding: don't think that would have an effect!)

message 8: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1209 comments Also glad to hear from you Susan.

What books will you be reading for your challenge? I'm always on the lookout for new ones and I can see I really have to expand my knowledge of Canadian literature beyond Alice Munro and Robertson Davies and Margaret Atwood!

message 9: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 55 comments Sorry to hear of those missing their mom's - it is such a special relationship. Thanks for the welcomes and yes, my little guy is healing and should have his cast of before summer holidays.

I still have not read any Murakami but it is on my TBR list.

@Ellie - nice to take the summer off and I hope you can relax and do a lot of reading!

Not sure about @Magdelanye but I have not planned out my challenge yet and will "go with the flow" as the kids say. I am trying to include as many books already on my shelves so will include some L.M Montgomery, Michael Crummery, Jane Urquhart, Elizabeth Hay and Heather O'Neill.

message 10: by Petra (new)

Petra | 772 comments Happy June and weekend!
Ellie, it's nice that you'll have the summer off. That will be so relaxing and enjoyable. I'm really happy for you.
I've never had that much time off in a row and would love to experience it soon (I will.....retirement is almost just around the corner).

Magdelyne, hugs to you. It's been 12 years since I lost my mom and I miss her still. Moms are with us always.

I see a fair amount of yard work in my summer this year. We're having the front lawn redone completely and we'll be working on the backyard, which is a horrible mess right now. I don't mind the work, though. It just takes time and it's kind of fun to dig around out there.
Step-dad and I are going for our walking week at the end of July. We're going to Princeton this year. I've driven by it fairly often but never stopped in the town. It should be a fun time. It's a really pretty area.

Which of Murakami's books is H? I've enjoyed the books of his that I've read, with 1Q84 being my favorite.

Susan, it's nice to see you hear.
I'm trying the Canadian Bingo as well but not doing very good yet.

Ellie, I recommend Canadian authors Miriam Toews, Timothy Findley, Richard Wagamese and Douglas Coupland.

I'm currently continuing with Proust and reading A Town Like Alice, which I'm thoroughly enjoying.

message 11: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2219 comments Considering how delighted i was to find all the comments this morning, i was shocked to find myself bawling so much when i began my response that i had to abort the attempt. I guess it was a delayed reaction to the pages i had just read in Street Sweeper. Ive been engrossed in it all week with little mental health breaks reading the other books ive described. This morning., after a short session on mindfulness and a couple of really lovely poems i picked up EP again and read the most intimate and chilling account of Birkenau ( and i thought i had read the worst). I put the book down and stumbled into the solarium, quite frozen. I tried to calm myself a bit and even managed to feel happy to see the messages on flight paths. But as i attempted my reply the tears came and i had to give up.
Now its evening and Ive pulled myself together enough to write this. I appreciate so much having this space to debrief
May all your summer plans be fulfilled! will write again more specifically soon..

message 12: by Ellie (last edited Jun 04, 2017 10:14AM) (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1209 comments Magdelanye, I'm glad you were able to add to the comments. The horrors of Nazi Germany never fail to shock me, no matter how much I read or how familiar I think I am with the material. I think to be human is to be shocked by those events and the magnitude of human suffering.

Petra, thanks for the recommendations! I actually have read Toews and Coupland. I'm going to read the others as soon as I can find them.

message 13: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2219 comments thanks Ellie

message 14: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2219 comments somehow i feel the need to apologize for being such an emotional wimp, because Im missing everybody's banter and I really didnt want to put a damper our exchanges.
Life goes on, and I am feeling some of the joy of summer,

I have a new set of books to choose which I will do when I get home from the library. This has got to be one of my favorite tasks.

How is everyone else?

message 15: by Petra (new)

Petra | 772 comments Magdelanye, no need. Reading Holocaust stories leave one with such a pit of sadness and horror. Emotions are good at such a time. It allows for some hope that such a horror won't happen again. For such an account, you can be as emotional as you feel the need to be.

Ellie, I do hope you enjoy the authors. I really like Timothy Findley (warning: there's one scene in Not Wanted On The Voyage that I will never forget and stops me from rereading the book). I've got a few of his books still to read and look forward to them.

Today is Global Running Day, so I pledged to run 5K and headed out to do that after work and I reached my pledge.

message 16: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2219 comments Thanks Petra. I know its not popular to express negative emotions or mention things that nobody likes to hear. Sometimes it can get overwhelming. Who wants to admit to faltering. But this group feels like a safe place for me to discuss anything at all. Pretty sure that each of us has been unravelled by the power of a book at some time

message 17: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2219 comments well at least this time when my message got snatched it posted instead of disappeared .
I was bout to add my admiration for Timothy Findlay so I will continue to sing his praise. The wars is an amazing book and maybe a good one to start with. Petra Im glad you reminded me your favorite may be the one thing from his extensive oeuvre that' i have not read.
Picked up from my personal library collection Nostalgia which i decided to read it already. To my delight I found it immediately engaging. I am also reading the poetry of Shane Koyczan. Whats especially great is that Ive heard him preform some of them and i can actually hear him. It does enhance

message 18: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2219 comments Forgot to add my respect to Petra for 5 K run! im impressed all the more having walked 2000 k across Spain vividly remember needing a break after just 2k

message 19: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1209 comments I also am impressed, Petra, for the 5K run. I think it's wonderful. Hopefully, this summer I'll at least be taking long walks again, although my running days are (regretfully) behind me.

Magdelanye, we need to have both negative and positive feelings in this world. To only have positive ones would leave us only half human and cruel to all those who have suffered (or are suffering). I've been having nightmares about living in a totalitarian state (unfortunately, not as far-fetched as I would wish). If this new health care bill passes here (which in some form it probably will), millions will suffer, many will die. To say they should be making more money (as some Republicans have actually said) so it's their fault seems unspeakable cruel.

Not that this of course in any way compares with the Holocaust but it is another case of dehumanizing people so you can inflict pain without regret. Forgive my hysteria; it's hard sometimes for me to ignore what's going on here. Luckily, it turns out my children can become Canadian citizens (so it appears since their father is Canadian) and I am urging them to do so.

On another note, I just finished a lovely (though easy) book-Pachinko. Very interesting look at how the Koreans were treated by the Japanese and the extreme prejudice against them shown through a "family saga" type of book.

I'm now reading Broken English: Poetry and Partiality, another one of those books about poetry I seem drawn to: impenetrable (to me) yet evocative. Lovely Rilke poems. I'm now reading chapter two: a study of Yoruba poetry and the impact on American culture. (Through slavery. Another nightmare.) This book had a big influence on a number of poets I admire so I'm pushing (very slowly) through it (my son says, just read and don't worry too much about understanding everything. I like his viewpoint and am using it).

Sorry for the long post: you all have gotten me thinking (and feeling).

message 20: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2219 comments No doubt it is scary to have such a stupid megalomaniac as president Ellie, i can so empathize with your nightmares. Sometimes i really wonder about the humanity of humans. You put it so succinctly when you remarked on the need to dehumanize people to justify their abuse.
Petra ive been brooding on comment you made to comfort me. I actually feel the need to minimize my emotions when they tend to overwhelm me. It doesnt help much to get so emotional but it is essential not to get get plugged up with it. Thats why its essential to dance! And run!

message 21: by Petra (new)

Petra | 772 comments Good Monday morning!
Well, another weekend is over. They really fly by quickly.
I spent time starting to clean out a bed in the backyard. Now that our front yard will be done by a professional, I have time to tinker in the backyard.

Magdelayne, I agree that the essential part is to not get plugged up with negativity and sadness. We've got to see the beauty of this World.

Ellie, I keep watching the news from the States. Surely, things will have to change sooner than later? Too many lies. Shouldn't that lead to non confidence? Hang in there.

I went to buy some runners the other week and another customer (very loud) was yakking away about his life and other stuff when he said that the best thing that ever happened to Canada was the US President being elected. Oy!

In the reading world, I started reading Dead Simple (a really gruesome premise to the story; makes my stomach clench) and this morning started listening to Hag-Seed on my commute.

message 22: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1209 comments Petra, I really liked Hag-Seed. Hope you do too.

Even if the president were impeached, the rest of the people in power are bad (Nazi believers bad). I'm trying not to despair but times are bad here.

I'm reading a YA book, The Hate U Give about the shooting of a young African-American man by a policeman. It's very good. I'm reading as part of a teacher book club as a way to connect with our students. I'm not normally a YA reader but this seemed like a worthy idea.

That being said, I'm beginning to crave some more challenging fiction. I suppose that's a sign I should return to Demons. I've been so tired that all my fiction reading has been easy. My brain is starting to ache for more.

message 23: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2219 comments hey ive got Hag-seed from the library too...and im reading the Lonely hearts hotel...hope to get some outdoor reading in

message 24: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2219 comments The Lonel

message 25: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2219 comments as i was saying:-)

message 26: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2219 comments my new trigger happy fone
The lonely hearts hotel was a fabulous read.
I'm curious to know how others are doing. May you all be at ease

message 27: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1209 comments I'm doing miserably right now. I just found out that I'm being sent back from my school (which is an off site of the main school) which I love to the main site (which I hate and have terrible memories of and which I've heard has only gotten worse. I cant stop crying. I don't know how I'm going to do it. It's going to be a lot more work, and I'm leaving a group of colleagues whom I like so much and respect to go somewhere I no longer know anyone.

On the other hand, I've started a poetry revision class (which is kind of terrifying but I guess good for me and a challenge I've been wanting to try).

I finished Broken English: Poetry and Partiality, a brilliant collection of essays which I really loved and found exciting. I especially liked her work on Emily Dickinson and Paul Celan, two favorite poets of mine. It was difficult and took me a long time to read but so worth it.

Now I'm starting Moonglow by Michael Chabon. I've been looking forward to this one but given my work situation I may have trouble concentrating. Or maybe it will distract me. Reading can do that for me, one reason I love it so much!

Hope others are doing well.

message 28: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2219 comments commiserations Ellie! Have you no recourse? Hope you can work it out.

message 29: by Petra (new)

Petra | 772 comments Oh, no, Ellie! I hope you have some recourse to take to (hopefully) reverse that decision? Fingers crossed.

Things are going well here. I went to the last tai-chi class of the session yesterday. I really enjoy that class and am looking forward to starting in September again. Now if only I could put that enthusiasm into practicing over the summer.....

I finished Hag-Seed and loved it. I listened to the audio; it was a wonderful narration. The story was marvelous, too, and Atwood told it just right.

I also read As I Knew Him: My Dad, Rod Serling. This turned out to be more of a daughter's memoir of her father, told mainly from her childhood memories. It told of a loving, attentive father. Rod Serling seemed to be an ideal dad. However, this is the daughter's story; not the father's and a good half of the memories are from her ages of 6-8. I thought it a bit skewed. But, this is her memory and her story and, in general, I liked what I learned of Rod Serling.

I'm continuing with Proust. Have just started the fourth volume, Sodom and Gomorrah. I'm surprised at the open and accepting way the narrator speaks of homosexuality. Paris in the 20s seems much more progressive than I would have thought......but then, it's Paris. That's always been an artistic, accepting sort of city.

As of Friday, I'm off for 2 weeks. I'm going to the Island on Friday for about a week and won't have internet access. I'm completely unplugged when I'm visiting with step-dad.

message 30: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 734 comments New job in Social Housing sector and a return to a combination of Graham Greene and Nordic Noir !
Taking the grandsons to the Horse Racing on Saturday ..... busy bear(bee) in June .....

message 31: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1209 comments Petra wrote: "Oh, no, Ellie! I hope you have some recourse to take to (hopefully) reverse that decision? Fingers crossed.

Things are going well here. I went to the last tai-chi class of the session yesterday. ..."

No reversal is possible so I'm hoping it won't be as bad as I rear.

I'd love to read about Rod Serling. He's a favorite of mine. Always good to hear non-horror stories about parents; people don't usually write about happy childhoods.

I'm glad you loved Hag-Seed. I did too. I'd love to hear Atwood read it!

Enjoy your vacation!

message 32: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1209 comments Ice wrote: "New job in Social Housing sector and a return to a combination of Graham Greene and Nordic Noir !
Taking the grandsons to the Horse Racing on Saturday ..... busy bear(bee) in June ....."

Good to hear from you. Hope your new job is wonderful.

I think it's time for me to return to Greene and Nordic Noir. Two of my favorites! And Nordic Noir right now sounds like great fun (in a twisted kind of way!).

message 33: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2219 comments Petra, it will be so splendid to get away 🎶 may the weather gods be with you.
Ellie now is not the time to despair◇

message 34: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2219 comments Ice its hard to believe youve left that job. How will they ever get by! i remember you were like married to that job. I hope you love your new one and that its less demanding. Love GG!

message 35: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1209 comments Magdelanye wrote: "Petra, it will be so splendid to get away 🎶 may the weather gods be with you.
Ellie now is not the time to despair◇"

Thanks. You're right: despair never helps.

message 36: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1209 comments Petra wrote: "Oh, no, Ellie! I hope you have some recourse to take to (hopefully) reverse that decision? Fingers crossed.

Things are going well here. I went to the last tai-chi class of the session yesterday. ..."

If this catches you before you leave, I hope you have a wonderful time!

message 37: by Petra (new)

Petra | 772 comments Thank you!! Yes, I'm leaving this morning, but first I'm having a leisurely coffee, then have to pack up. I plan on making the 10am ferry.
The weather is looking great. It's supposed to be blistering hot this weekend. Step-dad likes to go for long walks in the sun, so I hope it's not ultra-hot. Regardless the ocean views will be lovely.

Have a wonderful weekend. I look forward to catching up when I get back.

message 38: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2219 comments Ellie, hope that you are picking up a bit.
Was it you who recommended Mark Strand? Slowly, surely, I have fallen in love!

Its finally been summer her in BC ! Thinking of Petra on her hike and hoping all went well.

message 39: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1209 comments Thanks Magdelanye. I'm accepting my transfer although I'm still not happy about it. I'm not going to let it spoil my summer.

Also thinking about Petra. Hope she's having fun!

Glad you have summer-I guess it starts later up there. We went to the beach on Monday and had a great time.

I'm still struggling with Moonglow. It's not at all what I expected. So very male.

message 40: by Petra (new)

Petra | 772 comments Good morning! I'm back. Had a really nice time.
We walked the Dallas Road beach from one end to another and then around a very nice neighbourhood of Victoria......a really rich one, I'm sure.....the houses were lovely. Our other walks included Elk Lake, Willow Beach and Thetis Lake provincial park.
We also did some geocaching. It was fun and my step-dad (who's never geocached before) turned out to be a natural at it. He's very good at finding the caches.
Besides that, we relaxed. My brother came back from vacation and I got to see him, too. I was afraid I may not be able to, so it was really great that we could meet up.

I took Proust along and, would you believe it, Proust is a good travelling companion! Blow me over! His slow, detailed writing was perfect for relaxing, laid-back days.

How was everyone's week? What's new?

Ellie, going to the beach on a summer day is a wonderful feeling. It's the best of summer.

When I left, I did make the 10am ferry but only because it was about 20 minutes late. LOL! I got to the terminal minutes before 10 and would never have been able to purchase a ticket and make it to the berth in time had the ferry been punctual.

message 41: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1209 comments What is geocaching? Sounds interesting.

I'm working (slowly) on my poetry and reading Today is the first day of my summer off! (Sadly I have a root canal later).

I've got to reread Proust-you make him sound so fun.

message 42: by Petra (new)

Petra | 772 comments Geocaching is like a treasure hunt. You know the co-ordinates of where a cache is hidden and have to find it. It's surprising how many caches are around. You're probably walking past a few every day.
I find the ones around my areas here: https://www.geocaching.com/play/search
I don't have a hand-held locator or a data plan on my phone, so finding the caches is a bit trickier.
Some caches are larger and have trinkets for trade; most are smaller containers and one adds one's name to the log. It's interesting to look the log over and see where the people who found the cache were from. People from all over the world look for caches while travelling.

Proust is quite interesting. He can delve into extreme navel-gazing and just when the reader is at the limit, Proust changes tack and brings out his wit. I like his characters, what he has to say about society, customs and people. He's also very funny.
He also seems to know that his navel-gazing will at times irritate the reader. There was one section where Proust the Author spoke with the reader and basically said, "be quiet and keep reading". It was a bit jarring to come across (being so removed from what else was going on) and humorous at the same time. Proust knew he's be irritating. LOL!

message 43: by Petra (new)

Petra | 772 comments Congratulations on your first day off for the summer! That must be a marvelous feeling.
Sorry about the root canal. If it helps, I've had 2 done and they aren't bad. It's a long procedure but doesn't hurt. I'll be thinking of you.

message 44: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1209 comments Thanks Petra. I'm sure the work won't be too bad (I've also had several root canals in the past two years; my teeth aren't doing too well!).

I'm so looking forward to this summer. It is a marvelous feeling!

message 45: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2219 comments Teeth! One doesnt really start to appreciate them until they give us problems ie pain! Ellie, Sure hope your root canal goes smoothly!
The beach! the opposite of teeth ÷)
You didnt mention Mark Strand so i guess it wasnt you who alerted me but you might have an easier time finding his work than Dennis Cooley. And its way more emotionally satisfying

@Petra Sounds like you had a wonderful time with your step-dad. and great that you got to see your brother. Where does he live?
The geo caching i dont really get. Who hides them? Are they just lying around hidden in plain sight? I cant quite visualize the process.

message 46: by Petra (last edited Jun 29, 2017 10:03AM) (new)

Petra | 772 comments Yes, teeth are under appreciated when they don't give trouble. I cracked one not long ago. It's going to need a crown soon.

We always have a good time. It gets a bit tedious for me after awhile (it's the same pattern every day) but he enjoys the walks so much and it's nice to see him have a good time. I enjoy the walks, don't get me wrong. It's just the unbroken pattern of breakfast, walk, pub, nap (reading for me), dinner, cards....repeat for as many days as I'm there.
My brother lives in Victoria. I see him ever time I go over there. He was on vacation this time and we weren't sure if he'd get back before I left.

I think anyone can hide and register a geocache. They have to maintain the caches as well by making sure the container is intact, the log has empty pages, etc.
They are hidden and of various sizes. I don't like the micro sized ones. They are tiny and too hard to find. Maybe when I get better at it. Some are hidden in plain site, others in nooks & crannies, others are more devious.
There should never be any encroachment onto private property, or digging or destroying of flora, etc.
For example, two that we found in Victoria:
1. the co-ordinates showed that the cache was on the north side of the Parliament buildings. The title suggested flowers, probably roses. The clue (not all caches have clues) mentioned a bench. We wandered down that side of the Parliament, saw a rose garden, entered and saw a bench. Sat down and looked around (and under the bench). Behind the bench was a rock wall and in the wall was a gap, just an arm's length from the bench. Looked inside and saw a little container. Pulled it out, read & signed the log and put it back where found.
That was an easy find. There weren't many places to hide a small container.
2. the co-ordinates showed that cache was at the north edge of Beacon Hill park. Many of the entries on-line mentioned a prickly reach to the cache and someone mentioned Holly. The name of the cache suggested a large rock nearby.
We walked around that section of Beacon Hill looking for a holly bush with a rock nearby. Once we found it, it was hidden in plain sight but finding a holly bush in the park took us awhile. It was rather well thought out, this cache. We had to peek inside the holly bush and when we saw the container, reach through the branches and pull it out.

There are GPS Locators available but I don't have one or want one. It would make honing in on the co-ordinates easier but part of the fun is looking for the clues on the Geocaching website, then going out to find the caches.

message 47: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2219 comments @Petra This geo thing reminds me somewhat of Bookcrossing. I left a book called The Gates of Rome at one of the gates of Rome, my best offering.
Moments after I wrote last I plugged this device in to recharge and gathered the books together that were being returned to library today. As i was finishing up my notes I realized that i had not actually finished Emma Donohue s book of short stories, Touchy Subjects.
Do get it if you can!. Most of the stories are very good, and quite a few exceptional, especially towards the end. So Im so glad i noticed this because they were among the best. And now the lovely synchronicity of less than half an hour after reading your Proust comments
in the story called Baggage, what should our protagonist be reading but a book shes been carrying around for years waiting for the right moment, but Proust.
I thought of copying out the long passage for you but really i think you'll love the story.

message 48: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2219 comments @Ellie You must have been being too polite to mention my ignorance because after finishing off for real the two ED short stories I'd missed, I thought to read a poem. I had looked at the striking picture of Mark Strand before, but i had not read his bio. Silly of me to assume that just because he was unknown to me he must be unknown 🙄 Still, iIm interested in what you think of this New York poet and all his prizes

message 49: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1209 comments Don't worry; I'm always "discovering" authors that apparently many others already know about! I like Strand and your comment was a reminder to go back and read him. That's one of the things I love about poetry: you can never reread it too much. And I've only read a relatively few poems of this prolific author. So...I'm inspired.

I've gone back to Demons. I do love it but I'm still overwhelmed by its length. Now that I've started vacation though I'm hoping to make real progress on it.

Is that the same Emma Donoghue who wrote Room? I found that book exceptionally interesting. Anyway, I really like short stories (would make a good balance to the endless Demons!).

I'm still curious about geocaching. What kinds of things do you find?

message 50: by Petra (new)

Petra | 772 comments I remember Bookcrossing. Does it still exist?

I will check out ED's short story book. That would make good summer reading.
Her stories are all over the place for me. I loved Room, really disliked Frog Music and liked The Wonder (after a slow start). I like her writing enough to read more.
Finding Proust in the pages is a wonderful coincidence.

Ellie, I've only found 8 caches so far, so my experience is limited to one cache with trinkets. It was a cache put together by a girl guide/brownie group. It contained kid's items (cards, plastic figures, friendship bracelets, etc). I put in a small Rubik's cube puzzle of the globe and took out a wind-up moving ladybug for the next kid's cache (should I ever find one).
The other seven caches were smaller containers and only contained paper logs of who had found the cache previously. It's interesting scrolling through the names and where they are from. People add their names (not real names; at least not usually), their home towns and the date they found the cache. Sometimes there are other notes written as well.

« previous 1