Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

The Long Drop
This topic is about The Long Drop
Group Read - The Long Drop > Group Read - The Long Drop chaps 13-18 Spoilers Welcome

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments Comments for chapters 13-18. What do you think of the book so far?
Spoilers Welcome on this topic thread.
The first to post please briefly summarize to guide the discussion. Thanks!

Geri 13- Billy Fullerton gives testimony on thebarreta he previously owned and ultimately killed the Smart family. Several more testify regarding gun, Lowe, Thompson, McKay etc..

14- Back at Gordon Club. We find out Watt had paid to have his wife killed. Manuel was hired but killed more than Watt's wife. For messing this up he is beaten and Manuel's mother threatened if Manuel talks.

15- Forensic testimony given. We hear Manuel's confession about his attack on Ann, which he gave right after he was beaten at the Gordon Club. He confesses to the other murders as well. Manuel tells police where guns are located. They are found 2 weeks later. Manuel's father arrested to pressure Manuel. Manuel represents himself in court.

16- Back with Watt and Manuel in car outside Manuel's house. Watt wants ro go in for tea, butManuel refuses. Manuel gets tea from his mother.

17- Manuel's mother testifies. Manuel tries to get her to say the signatures that are fake aren't his. She wavers. She cannot give him any alibis for times. Back to Manuel's arrest and he has asked for his parents. At trial she says she heard Manuel say he did not know why he did these things. Manuel's father testifies and says the opposite of what Manuel's mother said.

18- Manuel is at police station and identified. Manuel identifies McKay as man in car with him on New Year's Day. McKay denies he was with Manuel and confirms he gave baretta to Manuel. Manuel admits to police he will confess if he can see his parents. Police tries to pin everything on him. He takes police to the location of Isabelle's body.

Geri Wow! This section was a bit confusing for me. The way it went back and forth so much.

What the heck! Finding out that Watt had hired someone to kill his wife and they sent Manuel to do the deed! The way this was revealed was so low key, I'm not sure I liked it at all. So pretty much everybody had a hand in this. Now, the main question I have is WHY did Watt want his wife dead?

Manuel is all over the place. He confesses but takes over his defense to save himself? I feel badly for his mother, having to testify like that. She wants him locked up so he cannot commit any more crimes and hurt people. I hope for her sake, Manuel is found guilty. But how can he escape this?

With all this complexity to the story, I don't think we have gotten to the last twist of this story.

Jack | 179 comments Manuel is odd. His poor parents, what a dilemma. Help their son or have him executed.

I cant believe watt is getting away with his role. He was just as bad. I dont know for sure but i think near the start the other people with manuel were meant to rob or kidnap for some reason but not kill his family. Manuel did that against the orders

message 5: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments Yikes! CONFUSING indeed. Geri I completely missed that Manuel confessed to the eight murders. I went back to listen to chapter 15 again and low key indeed. He did confess and then plead not guilty. Crazy.
Geri wrote: "
15- Forensic testimony given. We hear Manuel's confession about his attack on Ann, which he gave right after he was beaten at the Gordon Club. He confesses to the other murders as well. Manuel tells police where guns are located.

Wow! This section was a bit confusing for me. The way it went back and forth so much.

What the heck! Finding out that Watt had hired someone to kill his wife and they sent Manuel to do the deed! ..."

message 6: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments Jack: Watt is odd too. Why did Watt want his wife dead? Why do the Smartt family murders go with the Watt family murders. Are the various attacks on the women connected or just examples of Manuel's true colors?
Jack wrote: "Manuel is odd. His poor parents, what a dilemma. Help their son or have him executed.

I cant believe watt is getting away with his role. He was just as bad. I dont know for sure but i think near ..."

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8060 comments Jack wrote: "Manuel is odd. His poor parents, what a dilemma. Help their son or have him executed.

I cant believe watt is getting away with his role. He was just as bad. I dont know for sure but i think near ..."

I agree, felt so sorry for him mom, who didn't want to lie and didn't want her son to stay in jail. And he clearly was attached to her, almost a momma's boy, the way he refused to allow Watt into the house but instead brought a cuppa out to Watt in the car.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8060 comments Ann wrote: "Yikes! CONFUSING indeed. Geri I completely missed that Manuel confessed to the eight murders. I went back to listen to chapter 15 again and low key indeed. He did confess and then plead not guilty...."

I caught it but went "what the heck?" Manuel was completely mystifying.

message 9: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments Carol: I expected the trial to be different from different procedural details but the case itself (maybe because of so many murders) was rather unique and strange.
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I caught it but went "what the heck?" Manuel was completely mystifying."