Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

The Long Drop
This topic is about The Long Drop
Group Read - The Long Drop > Group Read - The Long Drop general No Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments Are you planning on reading the book, June's group read selection? A stand alone released May 23 2017 (US); a psychological thriller set in 1950's Glasgow. No Spoilers please on this topic thread.

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments I am number four on the list at the library so may not start the book for a while. There are 241 pages broken into twenty-three chapters, each chapter title is a date.(and numbered) I will set up the discussion segments shortly.

Geri Hi Ann...I do plan to join the discussion for the book. It sounds interesting. I have never read anything by this author. That is one reason I joined the group. To discover new authors.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8057 comments Ann, I plan on starting this as soon as I finish Since We Fell. I don't think I've read any Mina yet but love the setting. I hope the audio comes in to the library before I'm done because I'd love to hear at least a few chapters read and that lovely accent.

message 5: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments Geri: Great! Group reads are fun and usually lead to finding new authors. We like selecting stand-alone books as ways to feel out an author with several series books.
I checked and confirmed I also haven't read any of this author's books yet, though I have Mina's Alex Morrow series first book marked to read. She has three series (Garnethill and Paddy Meehan are the others.) I hope my turn speeds up. :)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1215 comments Yes I will be reading the book. I have both the e-book and audio on hold but, like Carol, hope I get the audio.

I am a big fan of the author. Loved the Garnethill trilogy, like Paddy Meehan, and also thought her standalone Deception was excellent.

Geri Sandi wrote: "Yes I will be reading the book. I have both the e-book and audio on hold but, like Carol, hope I get the audio.

I am a big fan of the author. Loved the Garnethill trilogy, like Paddy Meehan, and a..."

Thanks! I have marked Deception to be read. Boy, so many books to read. Not enough time!

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8057 comments Just finished Since We Fell and will start The Long Drop next.

message 9: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3691 comments i'll get to it eventually. i have 7 books i have to read and review for netgalley, plus a book to finish for my f2f group- and still haven't started since we fell yet.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8057 comments Wow, Sherry, that's a lot! Hope you have lots of days at the beach club planned!

message 11: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments What Carol said Sherry! I hope all of the review books are good ones!

message 12: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3691 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Wow, Sherry, that's a lot! Hope you have lots of days at the beach club planned!"

planned, yes. hope the weather cooperates!

message 13: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3691 comments Ann wrote: "What Carol said Sherry! I hope all of the review books are good ones!"

so far, so good, ann. mostly "Summer books" - i had the new nancy thayer, the new elin hilderbrand, the new mary alice monroe, and a few other summer books. then i have the new elizabeth berg that's being released in november, a new lisa scottoline (exposed) a new cj box (paradise valley), and a new nelson demille- the cuban affair. some good reading ahead for me (i hope!)

message 14: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri I'll start The Long Drop today or tomorrow. Will try to read it slowly since it seems like some are waiting to get the book from library. I'll try to pace myself so I can discuss with everyone. Sometimes if the book is good, I do have trouble stopping!

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8057 comments That's great, Geri. Feel free to take a crack at the Chapter Summaries, but don't worry if you can't, I'll pick up or someone else when we get there. I've started it but can't tell how long it will take me to finish the first posted segment.

message 16: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri I finished the first 6 chapters. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to read this book slowly! LOL I did attempt a summary. Probably not as thorough as others I've read. I think I will have to read another book at the same time as this one. Maybe that will slow me down! :)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8057 comments So great that you started the summaries, Geri! Thank you so much. I'm sure what you did was fine. I am at about chapter 4 and I was wondering if I'd be able to summarize if I had to. I'm still a little confused as to what is happening and why. Now I can relax and read! Interesting that you are flying through the book and trying to slow down. It hasn't quite caught me up yet but I'm sticking with it. Still wishing I could hear the accents, though.

message 18: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri I am listening to the audiobook. The narrator is doing a good job. That may be why I am flying through it. This isn't the official thread for discussing the chapters, but I will say I am very intrigued by the characters and how complex they are.

message 19: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments Geri: Thanks for sharing your impression of the audio, i have been toying with using an audible credit. the queue for my turn at the library is not moving.
Geri wrote: "I am listening to the audiobook. The narrator is doing a good job. That may be why I am flying through it. This isn't the official thread for discussing the chapters, but I will say I am very intri..."

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8057 comments Geri wrote: "I am listening to the audiobook. The narrator is doing a good job. That may be why I am flying through it. This isn't the official thread for discussing the chapters, but I will say I am very intri..."

Hi Geri,

This is just the sort of comment that belongs in the non spoiler post, and it is very helpful. I'm not that far along and haven't had a chance to read in a few days, and hearing why you are liking it (without giving spoilers, and I am VERY sensitive to spoilers!) is quite useful, and encourages me to go back to the book and move forward.

message 21: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri I finished the book today. Hubby will be on vacation next week, so thought I better finish now. I'll check in later to read what everyone thought.

message 22: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments I got my library turn and expect to start reading by Tuesday!