Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Offering free beta reading services in YA fantasy, fiction genres

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rishabh (new)

Rishabh Bhardwaj (readerndreamer) | 13 comments Hey! I'm Rishabh. I enjoy YA fantasy and fiction genres. Interested authors can post their blurb and email id in comments below and I'll try to beta read as many books as I can.

message 2: by Christopher (new)

Christopher D. (ChrisMorgan) | 44 comments Hi Rishabh. I've just completed a short YA fantasy story (about 5,000 words) and I'm looking for BETAs at the moment.

Andrew’s Mission is a Portallas novella that tells some of the back story about one of the main characters from the Portallas series of books. Andrew is a young Woodsman in training now living in the village of Morelle, which resides in the western part of Forestium. We first meet Andrew in Forestium: The Mirror Never Lies, which is book one in the Portallas series.

In Forestium: The Mirror Never Lies, Andrew joins his best friend, Joshua, who decides to go on an epic journey to help find the truth about his long-lost Father. In Andrew’s Mission, we discover how close the relationship is between Andrew and Joshua, as Andrew attempts to help save his best friend’s life by going in search of something that could very well kill him.

message 3: by J. (new)

J. Burton | 7 comments Hi.

Looking for betas on my early draft. YA novel is ~100,000 words and needs to come down.

Book 2 of a series: "The Sleepwar Saga". Setup is a kind of a supernatural breakfast club. Six American teens from different walks of life, thrown together sometimes when they sleep - in another part of the country where they are pitted against the forces of evil.

It's been nearly a month since Andy fought those living scarecrows in his sleep. Just long enough for him to start to think it had never happened at all.

And then it all begins again. He and his fellow dreamers find themselves once again with a mission from the mysterious power behind their adventures - but this time is different.

Hospitals are creepy, and this one's even worse than usual. Practically falling apart around their ears. Andy and friends need to find a very special boy among the nooks and crannies of this eerie place - but they're not the only ones looking.

Time is of the essence. Can they find the boy before the others do? Lives are on the line, including their own.

trekplant(at)gmail.com

message 4: by Garfield (new)

Garfield Whyte (garfieldwhyte) Seeking beta reader for appx 54K word manuscript. Its a raunchy all girls boarding school story.

Blurb
Parents send their girls to a prestigious all-girls boarding school; some allow their raging hormones to turn them into renegades.

message 5: by Rishabh (new)

Rishabh Bhardwaj (readerndreamer) | 13 comments Hey guys, thanks for replying to my post. I've messaged you all. If anyone else is interested, I'm still open for beta reading offers.

message 6: by Ray (new)

Ray J. | 6 comments Hi!
My name is Ray and I'm writing a contemporary science fiction/thriller novel which I'd really appreciate if you could beta-read. This is my first endeavor at writing a full-length novel, I'm up to 36k words (6 chapters) and I'm really itching for some feedback from an experienced reader. To put it in a nutshell, the book is about a new, revolutionary scientific invention. It's full of suspense and intrigue. If you're interested, you or anyone else visiting this page can contact me at giggleatafuneral99@gmail.com for further details

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul F | 18 comments Hi Rishabh!

I have a YA Fantasy novel complete at 94k words. Let me know if you are interested. You can contact me at Paulsvault40@gmail.com. I have included the query below.

Adira, an eighteen-year-old peasant girl, learns from a dying soldier that a long-banished demon overlord has resurfaced. Now she finds herself targeted for death, just for knowing he exists. Forced to flee her home after her adoptive father is killed by men who pledged their allegiance to the demon, Adira vows revenge.

Seeking refuge at a faraway outpost, Adira learns to fight alongside well-trained soldiers and grows eager to use her new skills against the enemy. When an ageless and powerful Seer arrives, Adira finally decides to reveal her knowledge of the demon’s existence. This knowledge, coupled with a shocking revelation about her adoptive father, convinces the Seer that Adira’s encounter with the dying soldier was more than mere chance. She may be the only key to stopping the demon from spreading his evil across the land.

As Adira struggles between seeking her own revenge or fighting alongside new friends to defend the kingdom, a conspiracy begins to unravel that could lead to death for everyone. The demon overlord’s true motives come to light and Adira finds out that the only chance for success may be by sacrificing her own life.

THE WARRIOR’S CROWN is a YA fantasy novel with series potential, complete at 94,000 words. It may appeal to readers of Joe Abercrombie’s First Law series.

message 8: by Xylus (new)

Xylus Winters (Xylus_Winters) | 3 comments Hello Rishabh! I am currently looking for Beta's for my short YA Novella, "Get Out Of Dodge." Its Contemporary Fiction, at 20,000 words.

Summary:
The beasts bellow in the woods. They are deeper in there, but closer than Trevor would ever want them. Trevor's summer camp experience went from Heavenly to Hellish in four days; from enjoying the lake in the sunset to barely escaping with his life from the clutches of demons. If they are dead on the inside, did they even survive?

A snippit from the story:
Trevor!” Requise screams. “Don’t

look at the blades!”

I blink. Don’t look at the blades? I

shut my eyes, and I can feel something wet and slimy slide over my eyelids, and my nose

then my lips. From its texture, I was pretty sure it was a tongue. I squirm, but it keeps me held tightly. The saliva begins to burn my skin…

CRACK!!

Suddenly the weight falls off my body, and I wipe my eyelids, getting up off the ground. The creature had been hit in the side of the head by a rock, and was now bleeding, dark black blood.

Would be honored to work with you! No hurried deadline, but would like to hear back from you as soon as possible. Would love to have you on my Beta Team! Cheers!
~Xylus Winters

message 9: by Rod (new)

Rod Little | 1 comments Rishabh wrote: "Hey! I'm Rishabh. I enjoy YA fantasy and fiction genres. Interested authors can post their blurb and email id in comments below and I'll try to beta read as many books as I can."
Hi Rishabh,
You can check out my sample chapters and synopsis at:

www.rodlittleauthor.com

A foul amber mist descends over every major city in the world, and the populations begin to disappear. By nightfall, every soul in every metropolis is gone. When Sam and his brother return from a mountain camping trip, they find empty streets back home.

And then lizards came. The size of men, they flooded the city and attacked the few remaining humans. When these mutated creatures are confronted by giant spiders, the two species fight each other for the remaining food supply
...with the humans caught in the middle.

A teenage boy with electric powers. A college student who can communicate with animals. A scientist with a secret. And a band of psychopaths with their own agenda.

Defending each other from the evils of men and creatures alike, the last humans race to unravel the mystery of the empty cities, the swarming creatures, and the disappearance of humankind.

You can also see sample chapters and a longer synopsis at my site:
www.rodlittleauthor.com
If sending me a message, please indicate your preference for PDF or .mobi/Kindle file format.
Free Advance Review copies available for a few more days.
Thanks!

message 10: by Michaela (new)

Michaela | 6 comments Hi Rishabh, I'm working on editing my first novel. It's gone through all basic editing phases, but I'm looking for beta readers to critique story elements like plot, pacing, characters, etc.

It's around 35K (although I'm hoping to lengthen it up a bit), and a YA contemporary fantasy centered around werewolves.

If you'd like to read my first chapter, to see if you're interested, I put a link below. Just PM me if you'd like to beta read the rest of the story.

Chapter 1

message 11: by A (new)

A G | 3 comments Hi Rishabh,

I am looking for betas for my fantasy novel "Lurkers, Assassins, and Other Harmless Things", complete at ~ 100K words. It tells the story of a princess-turned-alchemist who accidentally recreates a rare deadly potion to buy freedom from captivity. She doesn't realize that her creation can destroy dynasties if it falls in the hands of an order of assassins, and make her the prime suspect of regicide.

Here's a short blurb and a link to the first three chapters if you are interested:

When Zayna, the thirteen-year-old product of a scandalous union in Alorah, succeeds in re-creating a deadly potion, she considers liberation to be within an arm's reach. Kiss-of-the-Maiden is so rarely swindled in the streets, it is sure to fetch the highest price, and help her and her governess escape from the city that hates them. Her life's work in alchemy, the secretive tutelage from a mystery benefactor, exile of her royal father, captivity of her royal mother, even the flesh sales of her beloved governess. . .everything seems worth the violet concoction no one but its inventor has been able to recreate. But little does Zayna know, sometimes success makes one an unwitting pawn in the game of empires. Sometimes, ingenuity is less the result of one's brilliance and more the design of vindictive mothers who know more than they let on. Sometimes, gods are whimsical, and cause princesses with rare talents to expedite the doom of a dynasty, and join forces with a regicidal Order of Assassins. Emperors don't drop dead, and daughters don't inherit empires by coincidence.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-D...

message 12: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Marshall (dmmarshall) | 16 comments Hi, I'm looking for beta readers for my science fiction novel. It's about 140,000 words and it's part one in my six book series. My email is dbrodale@yahoo.com

message 13: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 2 comments Hi, you may check out this book and see if you’re interested in beta reading it. It can be classified as YA and NA since the protagonist is age 16-29 throughout the story. It’s 86,000 words.

I understand no posted review will come of it and that’s just fine.

No problem if it’s not something you have time for…. do you prefer Kindle or the actual Word manuscript?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 14: by AL (last edited Jul 21, 2017 10:52PM) (new)

AL | 2 comments Hi,
I have a YA romance set in the 80s. Here's the blurb:

Alix Jameson finds herself at boarding school and soon realizes she made a huge mistake. The busy social environment gets on every last one of her introvert nerves and and all the bells and rules are enough to drive her insane. At home she gets away with pretty much anything because her parents are hardly paying attention, or if they are she is always eclipsed by her brilliant but destructive brother Charlie. Navigating high school is difficult when she has no one to lean on, when the boys are paying too much attention, and she can't stop the thoughts whirling through her head. Alix has learned to cope by self-medicating with cigarettes, drugs and alcohol which leads to her not always making the best decisions. When she meets the guy that changes everything and makes her world at boarding school finally tolerable, her two worlds collide and she has a big decision to make. Should she leave and go back to partying and her dance world back in Calgary? Or should she stay at this school with the boy she loves when he'll graduate a year before her and leave her alone in this prison?

Does that interest you? Thanks!

message 15: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Hall | 34 comments Greetings all! My name is Adrian Hall and I'm an aspiring novelist. I have a finished military SF 135k book in need of devoted beta readers. To give you an idea of what it's all about, please read below:

Cecelia, a mortal human of the Battle Fleet, fights the safety and security of The 3rd Order. A chance encounter on the battlefield with Warmaster Aldar, a god-like being and leader of all armed forces of The Scorched Hand, gives Cecelia the opportunity to steal his Override Signature Key, a valuable piece of technology with the power to alter the destiny of her crumbling empire and save her people from complete and utter defeat.

Countless dead litter the battlefield on either side. Knee-deep in the rain, the mud, and the blood, Cecelia fights Warmaster Aldar. Killing him can save her people and end a war that has ravaged the galactic slate for thousands of years.

During the struggle amongst these warriors, she steals an Override Signature Key, a piece of technology capable of redrawing the imperial lines and destroying her enemies. Unknown to Cecelia, she’s not the only one who has plans for The Warmaster’s Key, most of whom aren’t as noble as her.

A ruthless extremist, Kroeger, has his eyes set on revolution. He’s been waiting for his opportunity to bring down the tyrannical rule of The 3rd Order that has subjugated his race of paranormals for generations. He won’t allow anyone to stop him, and he doesn’t care who he hurts to achieve his goals. Freedom for paranormals, at all costs.

The encounter with the Warmaster has changed Cecelia forever. The psionic intrusions Aldar made have unlocked a long-forgotten presence from the depths of Cecelia’s mind who appears to her as a twelve-year-old version of herself with claims she is the manifestation of her subconsciousness. With enemies all around them, the pair must set aside their differences and work together if they’re to survive.

In war, the lines of allegiance often become obscured. In this, Book One of the series, the closeness of friends and family are tested. Sometimes, you can count on those closest to you to watch your back. Sometimes, you can’t. But, if you can’t trust yourself, who can you trust?

If you're interested in reading the book, please let me know at hallasinhallway@yahoo.ca

Thanks for your time! I look forward to hearing from you,

Adrian Hall