American Westerns discussion

Group Reads > June 2017 - Valley of Wild Horses

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Edwin, Moderator (new)

Edwin (edmandu) | 227 comments The winner of the June 2017 Group Reads poll, Runners Up!, is "Valley Of Wild Horses” by Zane Grey A classic novel from a legendary author.

message 2: by HornFan2 (new)

HornFan2  (hornfan2) | 93 comments Another one like the Virginian, were I've tried to read in the past and just never finished. Have a busy reading month, with 2 advanced copies that I have to read, very limited free reading time and might just skip this month. Although I did pick up a free copy from amazon.com.

message 3: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Underwood It's a bit too long, especially the section before he returns as an adult, but it doesn't crawl across the prairie like The Virginian, and there's lots of great passages like Grey was famous for, and an exciting ending, some action with great movement, and a very old-fashioned romance. I love it, but realize Zane Grey is one of those authors, when read today, people either like him or they don't. But there was a time when everyone read him, hardly a home could be found which didn't have some of his stories laying around somewhere to read. I will say that the upside to the length of the story is the manner in which Grey tells the story, with the movement within the narrative, his storytelling ability that keeps you interested just enough to keep turning pages. Like a lot of his work, it'll be hit and miss for readers, but some will love it by the end as I did.

message 4: by Fred (new)

Fred Shaw | 7 comments Hi guys I'm a new member and joined last month. I look forward to this club and i love westerns and classic westerns, by writers like Zane Grey. I would like to make sure I'm on the mailing list. How do I do that? Best regards, Fred Shaw

message 5: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Underwood Fred wrote: "Hi guys I'm a new member and joined last month. I look forward to this club and i love westerns and classic westerns, by writers like Zane Grey. I would like to make sure I'm on the mailing list. H..."

I think Edwin does that stuff, so he'll probably see this and put you on the list! :-)

message 6: by Edwin, Moderator (last edited Jun 05, 2017 07:19AM) (new)

Edwin (edmandu) | 227 comments Bobby wrote: "Fred wrote: "Hi guys I'm a new member and joined last month. I look forward to this club and i love westerns and classic westerns, by writers like Zane Grey. I would like to make sure I'm on the ma..."

Welcome aboard Fred. Mailings are infrequent. On around the first of each month expect an announcement of the Group Read Poll results and the the selections for the next month. This months poll is "Lets Go To The Movies!". You can vote at the bottom of the Group Home page unless you're using the mobile GR app.

message 7: by Fred (new)

Fred Shaw | 7 comments Guys here is the review I posted on Goodreads.

Zane Grey is the master writer of the American Western. The Valley of Wild Horses is a great story full of cowboys, horses, hombres and gun fights. Panhandle Smith, "Pan" for short, was born to a Texas farmer and raised in wide open spaces. His dad bought him his first pony when he was just a spud, and when the cattle herds came by going up the trail, he was in awe of the cowboys, their horses, boots and spurs. The story follows Pan, his family, friends and girl in the wild west. Lawless but full of opportunity.

To me, Zane Grey's forte is his descriptive writing. The Valley of the Wild Horses, the New Mexico location in the book, is so beautifully described, that I could fully imagine myself on a horse beside Pan, seeing what he was seeing. Desert land filled with mountains and canyons, sand and streams, cacti and cedar trees, coyotes and antelope, and thousands upon thousands of wild horses. Desert colors which I have witnessed myself, could not have more clearly put to canvas. The story and characters blended with scenery did the trick for me.

If you are nostalgic for tales of adventure in the wild, unsettled landscapes of the West, this is a book for you.

message 8: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Underwood Fred wrote: "Guys here is the review I posted on Goodreads.

Zane Grey is the master writer of the American Western. The Valley of Wild Horses is a great story full of cowboys, horses, hombres and gun fights. ..."

I loved it too, Fred, wonderful old-fashioned storytelling. The ending was really great, I thought.

message 9: by Fred (new)

Fred Shaw | 7 comments The ending was great. Don't you think maybe Pan spent too much time helping Blinky with his girl instead of working on Lucy? If i was Blink, i might say move over, pard". I looked up the towns. Seems they are fiction too.

message 10: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Underwood Fred wrote: "The ending was great. Don't you think maybe Pan spent too much time helping Blinky with his girl instead of working on Lucy? If i was Blink, i might say move over, pard". I looked up the towns. See..."

Yeah, there's that, as it seemed like Grey was setting up the fallen woman being saved, and the romance between Pan and and his childhood sweetheart took a back seat to what was going to happen. It was exciting at the end when it did all come into play, but there might have been more time with Pan and Lucy for sure. Though it was great storytelling, I thought maybe al the stuff about Pan growing up as a kid could have been much shorter. It was good, but would have made it an even faster read to get into Pan as a cowboy legend. A small quibble though, because of its old-fashioned flavor, and romanticism. Grey was amazing when it came to descriptive prose.

message 11: by Jay (new)

Jay | 1 comments Hello everybody, just joined your group, love westerns...especially Louis L'Amour.

message 12: by Edwin, Moderator (new)

Edwin (edmandu) | 227 comments Howdy Jay. L'Amour is a favorite of a lot of folks in the group. Check out the poll at the bottom of the Group Home page where Hondo is one of the selections for the July Group Read.

message 13: by Edwin, Moderator (new)

Edwin (edmandu) | 227 comments It seemed to me that Pan was awfully concerned about Lucy's virginity, and not so much about Blinky's gal's. I was half hoping that Pan would end up with Louise for a really unexpected twist.

message 14: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Underwood Edwin wrote: "It seemed to me that Pan was awfully concerned about Lucy's virginity, and not so much about Blinky's gal's. I was half hoping that Pan would end up with Louise for a really unexpected twist."

I kind of thought that too, about him ending up with the saloon girl instead of Louise. Fred also mentioned the amount of time Pan spent with her as opposed to the page time between him and Lucy. I think maybe it's because there wasn't much time spent on Lucy and Pan's deal, while Louise was much more interesting. I guess with Louise working in a saloon, worrying about the things he did with Lucy were out the window.