Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Best audio books for India?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 61 comments I'm heading to India; any suggestions on good books to read before and during the trip? I'm a big fan of Lahiri and not so much of Paul Scott.

message 2: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3685 comments The only Indian audio title that comes to mind I've listened to would be Family Matters by Rohinton Mistry - definitely recommended.

In print, All the Fishes Come Home to Roost by Rachel Manija Brown - memoir of growing up in an (Indian) ashram - is a hoot!

message 3: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 4 comments One of my favorite titles, Indian or otherwise, is The Hungry Tide by Amitav Ghosh, read by Firdous Bamji. It's great.

I have also slogged through 46+ hours of Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts, read by Humphrey Bower, after which I felt like I'd been in India, at least in a past life. It's way too long and overblown, and the only reason I finished it was because I actually paid good money for it. Also, Humphrey Bower is a very good reader; never would have made it without him. Having said that, there are many people who say they love this book, and you may be one of them.

message 4: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 61 comments Thank you all, I'll pick up these titles.

message 5: by Deb (new)

Deb | 2 comments One of my very favorite books on audio is The Hungry Tide. The book and narrator blend into this marvelous tale. It is a story that I would read or listen to again. The places, people ,animals are all so real . I love it when I finish a book and I feel I have visited another place in the world, been invited in to be part of the adventure.

message 6: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments Q & A, the book on which Slumdog Millionaire was based, is very good.

Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity is a nonfiction book that's very good as well.

I believe much of A Son of the Circus takes place there as well.

And another vote for Humphrey Bower's narration of Shantaram. Please don't attempt to read it in print...the narration is fantastic.

I feel like I'm missing one or two I've read...I'll keep thinking.

message 7: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 61 comments Hah! I posted this about 6 years ago and here I am still getting great suggestions. I'll buy or borrow these books.

message 8: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments I didn't notice that! It popped up very high on my unread feed. ☺

message 9: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3657 comments Cathy wrote: "Hah! I posted this about 6 years ago and here I am still getting great suggestions. I'll buy or borrow these books."

So how was the trip? And did any of the recommended books prepare you for what you found there?

message 10: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 61 comments Jeanie wrote: "Cathy wrote: "Hah! I posted this about 6 years ago and here I am still getting great suggestions. I'll buy or borrow these books."

So how was the trip? And did any of the recommended books prepare..."

Great - I went as a volunteer and so I saw the non-touristy side India. We bought local food and cooked and worked with poor children from a "slum" in India. All the books suggested gave me insight, but particularly Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity and Freedom at Midnight> for historical context. Shantaram was a long haul but fine for the 24 hours spent in planes or airports. Also Family Matters

message 11: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphnesm) | 55 comments *shudder* I've traveled to many different places, and the only one I didn't enjoy was India. It was just so, so disgusting. Not to mention that someone tried to kill me with a motorcyle when they intentionally swerved to hit me. A year and a half later and I still have bruising on my knee from that.

I did LOVE Nepal though. :)