The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 25.8 - Chris MD's Task: Quincy, You're My Home

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 04, 2017 07:22PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4997 comments Mod
25.8 - Chris MD's Task: Quincy, You’re My Home

I was born and raised in the city of Quincy, Massachusetts (it’s pronounced Qwin-zee, thank you very much). And even though I don’t live there anymore, it’s still the place I call home. So I’m going to take you on a tour. You’re welcome to click on the links and see the sights. Pick two different options and read one book for each. REQUIRED: Identify the options you chose in your post.

1. Presidents.
Quincy is known as the “City of Presidents.” You can visit the birthplaces and burial spots of John Adams and John Quincy Adams. Another historic spot is Peacefield, the Adams family home and the site of very first presidential library (and a booklovers dream).
For this task, read a book the includes the LAST name of a U.S. president in either the title or the author’s name (subtitles may not be used). Here is a list of U.S. presidents. The presidential last name can be an author’s first or last name. Plurals and possessives of the names can be used, but no other variations. If there is more than one author, only one author’s name needs to meet the requirement, so a book by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child would work.

2. HoJo’s.
I grew up in a section of the city known as Wollaston. In 1925, Howard Johnson opened a pharmacy on a street corner there. To drum up business, he came up with a new recipe for ice cream. He eventually opened restaurants and then hotels. At one time HoJo’s was the largest chain of restaurants in the country. Read a book with hotel, motel, inn, restaurant, or diner in the title. Plurals and possessives are acceptable. No other variations.

3. Dunkies.
While Howard Johnsons is no more, another chain founded in Quincy is still going strong. The very first Dunkin Donuts still stands on Southern Artery in Quincy. Read a book with a cover that shows a cup of coffee or tea or some kind of pastry. (Cakes, muffins, donuts, cookies, all are good. Loaves or slices of bread are not.)
REQUIRED: Include the cover in your post.

4. The Bay.
The city of Quincy curves around a bay, not surprisingly called Quincy Bay. When I was young, my entire summer was spent on Wollaston Beach. The beach boasts two yacht clubs almost side by side, although I swear I never saw a yacht there. There were lots of sailboats, so read a book with any type of sailboat on the cover.
REQUIRED: Include the cover in your post.

5. Kilroy Was Here.
5. Kilroy Was Here.
For generations, the largest employer in Quincy was the Fore River Shipyard. Many World War I and World War II ships were built there, including the aircraft carrier USS Lexington and the battleship USS Massachusetts. A shipyard inspector named James Kilroy claimed he was the one who drew “Kilroy was here” on many WWII ships. Read a book from one of these two lists:
WWI - The Great War
WWII Historic Fiction
REQUIRED: State the list you used and the page on which your book was found.

6. Library.
One of my favorite places in the world is the Thomas Crane Public Library in downtown Quincy. The beautiful “old building” (scroll to the bottom to see the gorgeous interior) was even spoofed on a Simpson’s episode. I loved to go to the library with my parents, and my love of reading was nurtured here. Read a book by an author that you’ve read at least twice before AND that you borrowed from your local library. REQUIRED: Include in your post links to two books by this author that you have read before and state that you borrowed this book from the library.
Optional: Give your library some love and tell us its name.

message 2: by Chris (last edited Jun 01, 2017 02:46PM) (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 981 comments Wicked pissah awesome. (That's Bostonian for "these work.")

message 3: by Chris (last edited Jun 01, 2017 02:47PM) (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 981 comments No suh. (That's Bostonian for "these don't work.)

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4997 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

message 5: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4159 comments For option 5, I am planning Angels in the Gloom. Please verify WWI as it is the last in the list of genres.

message 6: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Your task brings back good memories from my childhood growing up in Mass. I remember the Friday night all-you-can-eat fried clam dinners at HoJos!

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 981 comments Bea wrote: "For option 5, I am planning Angels in the Gloom. Please verify WWI as it is the last in the list of genres."

I will definitely verify it, seeing as that's the book I'm reading for this, too!

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily | 692 comments Just want to comment that I love Quincy - I moved to Braintree a few years ago, and we're always heading "next door" into Quincy for various things. Aside from the constant road work going on in the town center right now, it's a beautiful place. :)

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 981 comments Boston Kate wrote: "Just want to comment that I love Quincy - I moved to Braintree a few years ago, and we're always heading "next door" into Quincy for various things. Aside from the constant road work going on in th..."

We lived in Braintree for a few years when I was young, right by the Plaza. Literally played on the construction site for what was Jordan Marsh.

message 10: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4159 comments Chris wrote: "Bea wrote: "For option 5, I am planning Angels in the Gloom. Please verify WWI as it is the last in the list of genres."

I will definitely verify it, seeing as that's the book I'm rea..."

Thanks, Chris.

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7786 comments ohhh that library one could be fun...I heart my library! now to find an author (there are so many to choose from)

message 12: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 839 comments For Option 4, are you looking for more of a smaller sailboat or would you accept old ships that used sails such as Bloody Jack Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy (Bloody Jack, #1) by L.A. Meyer

message 13: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3016 comments For option 3
Fatally Flaky (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #15) by Diane Mott Davidson cake on the cover

For option 6
Sweet Revenge (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #14) by Diane Mott Davidson by Diane Mott Davidson I have read Dying for Chocolate (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #2) by Diane Mott Davidson and The Cereal Murders (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #3) by Diane Mott Davidson previously

message 14: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 981 comments KSMary wrote: "For Option 4, are you looking for more of a smaller sailboat or would you accept old ships that used sails such as [bookcover:Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky"..."

Anything that would have sails works. (And it's a fun book!)

message 15: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 981 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "For option 3
Fatally Flaky (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #15) by Diane Mott Davidson cake on the cover

For option 6
Sweet Revenge (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #14) by Diane Mott Davidsonby Diane Mott Davidson I have read [bookcover:Dying for Chocolate|269749..."

Looks great. You'll need to post the link to the other Davidson books when you claim the task. It's not enough to verify them here.

message 16: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3016 comments I will, I just wanted to get them verified first.

message 17: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 981 comments Bea wrote: "For option 5, I am planning Angels in the Gloom. Please verify WWI as it is the last in the list of genres."

Bea - Wanted to let you know we changed this task slightly - and better for us! It turns out none of the Anne Perry WWI books had WWI listed as a main page genre. MOST fiction about either world war didn't have it as an MPG - so the task has been changed to use books from two list (see above). Angels in the Gloom, and all of Perry's series, is on the first page of the WWI list. Please reply to this post so I know you saw it. Don't want you to claim the points and have it bounced back to you.

message 18: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4159 comments Chris wrote: "Bea - Wanted to let you know we changed this task slightly - and better for us! It turns out none of the Anne Perry WWI books had WWI listed as a main page genre. MOST fiction about either world war didn't have it as an MPG - so the task has been changed to use books from two list (see above). Angels in the Gloom, and all of Perry's series, is on the first page of the WWI list. Please reply to this post so I know you saw it. Don't want you to claim the points and have it bounced back to you."

Thanks, Chris.

message 19: by Andrea (last edited Jun 06, 2017 05:44PM) (new)

Andrea Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan
would a frosted cupcake be considered a pastry for the Dunkies option? Little Beach Street Bakery

message 20: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 981 comments Andrea wrote: "Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan
would a frosted cupcake be considered a pastry for the Dunkies option? Little Beach Street Bakery"

Yes, that works.

message 21: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 995 comments Hi Chris ~ Would you consider this a pastry for option 3? Not sure if it is a pie or a cake.

Homemade Sin by Kathy Hogan Trocheck

message 22: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 981 comments Brooke wrote: "Hi Chris ~ Would you consider this a pastry for option 3? Not sure if it is a pie or a cake.

Homemade Sin by Kathy Hogan Trocheck"

I don't know what it is either, but I want a slice! It's definitely not bread, so it works.

message 23: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7786 comments does Pie work for option 3?

Delicious (Big Sky Pie #2) by Adrianne Lee

message 24: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Shoot, I had a book I've been wanting to read for option 5 that actually had the MPG of WW2, Schindler's List, but, it's not on the list. It is on an absolute ton of other related lists, but not that one, probably from the misconception that it is non-fiction, when it's actually a novel based on real life people and places. Well, I'll look for something else.

message 25: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 981 comments Dee wrote: "does Pie work for option 3?

Delicious (Big Sky Pie #2) by Adrianne Lee"

Yes, pie works.

message 26: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 981 comments Terri FL wrote: "Shoot, I had a book I've been wanting to read for option 5 that actually had the MPG of WW2, Schindler's List, but, it's not on the list. It is on an absolute ton of other related lis..."

I am so sorry. The way things are shelved sometimes amazes me. There are a couple of other WWII tasks in this challenge. I hope that you can use it for one them!

message 27: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1695 comments Seeking approval for option 3

Steeped in Evil (A Tea Shop Mystery, #15) by Laura Childs

message 28: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 981 comments Wanda wrote: "Seeking approval for option 3

Steeped in Evil (A Tea Shop Mystery, #15) by Laura Childs"

I see the tea pot, but I don't see a cup with tea in it. I even went on Amazon to find a bigger picture. If I'm missing something, would you please point it out to me?

message 29: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Chris wrote: "Terri FL wrote: "Shoot, I had a book I've been wanting to read for option 5 that actually had the MPG of WW2, Schindler's List, but, it's not on the list. It is on an absolute ton of ..."

It's fine. I'll read it someday! I am trying to use as many of the books I own in one format or another, and found that A God in Ruins which I also have was on the list, so, have selected that. Glad I saw that the task was changed though! Thanks!

message 30: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1695 comments Chris wrote: "Wanda wrote: "Seeking approval for option 3

I see the tea pot, but I don't see a cup with tea in it. I even went on Amazon to find a bigger picture. If I'm m..."

The bowls are the teacups for this teapot and type of tea.

message 31: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7786 comments Chris for #6 - do they have to be an author you discovered BEFORE this challenge started or can it be one you discovered since Jun1, if you have read 2 of their books?? (I've discovered a new author as part of this challenge and already read 1 book by her and starting another one)...

message 32: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 981 comments Wanda wrote: "Chris wrote: "Wanda wrote: "Seeking approval for option 3

I see the tea pot, but I don't see a cup with tea in it. I even went on Amazon to find a bigger pic..."

You're good to go.

message 33: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 981 comments Dee wrote: "Chris for #6 - do they have to be an author you discovered BEFORE this challenge started or can it be one you discovered since Jun1, if you have read 2 of their books?? (I've discovered a new autho..."

As long as you've read two books by this author before the book you claim for this task, you'll be fine. Just post links to the other two books.

message 34: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1695 comments Chris wrote: "Wanda wrote: "Chris wrote: "Wanda wrote: "Seeking approval for option 3

I see the tea pot, but I don't see a cup with tea in it. I even went on Amazon to fin..."