The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 25.7 - TrishHartUK's Task: Strawberries and Cream

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 12, 2017 07:00AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4348 comments Mod
25.7 - TrishHartUK's Task: Strawberries and Cream

Strawberries and cream are one of the things that sum up the summer for me, be it in a picnic, or at an outdoor concert or sporting event, or just as a feel-good food when it’s raining (which it often does in summer in Britain!). This is a two-book task. Choose two options and read one book from each of your chosen options.
REQUIRED: State the options that you chose.

Option 1: Strawberries and cream are a simple pleasure, so to start simply, read a book by an author whose first and last initials can be found in STRAWBERRIES AND CREAM. One qualifying author in a book with multiple authors works.

Option 2: Strawberries and cream are a great combination. Read a book with two authors either writing under both names (like Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö), or using a single name (like Victoria Abbot, which is a combined pen name for Victoria Maffini and Mary Jane Maffini). REQUIRED: For two authors writing under a single name, please include a link to the GR author page (or some other source) which clarifies this.

Option 3: Strawberries and cream are perfect for picnics. Read a book with strawberries and/or cream, and/or a picnic/picnic equipment being used for a picnic (e.g. blankets, hampers and picnic food, people sitting on the grass) on the cover.
Examples: Back When We Were Grown Ups by Anne Tyler by Anne Tyler; Strawberry Shortcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #2) by Joanne Fluke by Joanne Fluke

REQUIRED: Please include the cover in your post.

Option 4: Strawberries and cream are mainstays of the Wimbledon Tennis Championships. Read a book about tennis, or has tennis players or equipment (rackets, balls, nets, courts, etc.) on the cover.
REQUIRED: If the link to tennis isn’t obvious from the GR description or cover, then please explain it in the post.
REQUIRED: If using the cover option, please post the cover.

message 2: by Trish (last edited Aug 26, 2017 01:44AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments Nutritious and delicious.

Option 1
Off Base, Tessa Bailey & Sophie Jordan - Tessa Bailey's initials are in STRAWBERRIES

Option 2
James S.A. Corey is pseudonym of Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck. (https://www.fantasticfiction.com/c/ja...)

Jefferson Bass approved as the pen name of Jon Jefferson and Dr. Bill Bass

Survivors Club: The True Story of a Very Young Prisoner of Auschwitz, Michael Bornstein, Debbie Bornstein Holinstat

Sin & Bone, Bette Golden Lamb and J.J. Lamb

Option 3

Option 4

The Singles Game by Lauren Weisberger
You Cannot Be Serious by John McEnroe

message 3: by Trish (last edited Jul 25, 2017 11:22PM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments Didn't make it to the picnic.

Option 1

Option 2
Off Base has 2 authors Tessa Bailey & Sophie Jordan in the metadata but the two novellas don't seem to be connected.

Option 3

Sunday Kind of Love by Dorothy Garlock - hamper, but not really picnic-related
Three Junes by Julia Glass - al fresco dining rather than a picnic

Option 4

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4348 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

message 5: by Tess (last edited Jun 07, 2017 07:31AM) (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1235 comments Will this work for Option 3 even if there are flowers in the hamper and not food? Sunday Kind of Love by Dorothy Garlock
Tess

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7515 comments can I get Jefferson Bass approved as a two people under one name - https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

message 7: by Trish (last edited Jun 07, 2017 08:03AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments Dee wrote: "can I get Jefferson Bass approved as a two people under one name - https://www.goodreads.com/author/show..."

Looks good. I'll add it to the approved message.

message 8: by Trish (last edited Jun 07, 2017 08:02AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments Tess wrote: "Will this work for Option 3 even if there are flowers in the hamper and not food?Sunday Kind of Love by Dorothy Garlock"

Hmm. Tricky one. My thinking for the option was related to an actual picnic, but as it stands, this is more picking flowers. If there had been a rug or something under it, or it had even had a handy strawberry on it, that would have been different, but as it is, I'm afraid I'm going to say no.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2965 comments For option 4, balls on the cover, does it have to be a tennis ball or just any ball on the cover.

message 10: by Trish (last edited Jun 07, 2017 10:50PM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "For option 4, balls on the cover, does it have to be a tennis ball or just any ball on the cover."

It would need to be tennis balls, as the option is tennis-related.

message 11: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3606 comments How about a table set outdoors for Option 3
Three Junes by Julia Glass

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2965 comments Trish wrote: "Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "For option 4, balls on the cover, does it have to be a tennis ball or just any ball on the cover."

It would need to be tennis balls, as the option is tennis-related."

that's what I thought

message 13: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments Book Concierge wrote: "How about a table set outdoors for Option 3
Three Junes by Julia Glass"

Laid out like that, with the solid furniture and china and glassware, it isn't really a picnic: I'd see it as al fresco dining, like outdoor tables for a restaurant. So I'm afraid that's a no as well.

message 15: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments Tess wrote: "Will this work for Option 2? Survivors Club: The True Story of a Very Young Prisoner of Auschwitz"

Looks like it should be fine.

message 16: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Here's an idea for option 4. Saw it on the library shelf today and then reread this task!
The Singles Game

message 17: by Trish (last edited Jun 17, 2017 12:00PM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments Nicole wrote: "Here's an idea for option 4. Saw it on the library shelf today and then reread this task!
The Singles Game"

Definitely looks tennis-related from the description, and I also see a tennis racket and ball (albeit as a charm) on the cover. I'll add it to the approved books for Option 4.

message 18: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 260 comments Will this work for Option 4 - Books about tennis You Cannot Be Serious by John McEnroe

Thank you!

message 19: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments Looks good. John MacEnroe was always an entertaining player!

message 20: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Hi - Off Base has 2 authors Tessa Bailey & Sophie Jordan in the metadata.

It seems to be 2 connected but separate novellas combined in one book. Will that still work for option 2?

Thanks!

message 21: by Trish (last edited Jul 25, 2017 11:21PM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments Melanie wrote: "Hi - Off Base has 2 authors Tessa Bailey & Sophie Jordan in the metadata.

It seems to be 2 connected but separate novellas combined in one book. Wi..."

Hmm. Tricky one. The idea behind the duel author thing was working together, which this doesn't seem like they do - unless there are any shared characters or something - so I'd say no on that front.

On the other hand, unless you already have something for Option 1 it would work there, as Tessa Bailey's initials can be found in STRAWBERRIES AND CREAM.

message 22: by Marie-Anne (last edited Aug 25, 2017 08:33PM) (new)

Marie-Anne | 592 comments Can I use Sin & Bone for option 2? The option linked here lists the 2 authors of the book. But on another GR page (Sin & Bone), it lists only one of the authors (Bette Golden Lamb) and not the second author (J.J. Lamb). I read the first edition, an ebook, and must list the other edition for page length. I own a copy of the ebook and it lists both authors. In addition, J.J. Lamb's GR author page also list the book.

I hope that's clear enough. Sorry for the confusion, thanks!

message 23: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments I see two authors on the first link you've posted, so no problem. I'll put it in the approved list.

As a suggestion, you could post in the "anyone with librarian status" thread to get the second author added to the other edition: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

The other edition looks a bit odd to me anyway, as I'm not sure how it can be both a trade paperback and an ebook, so possibly mention that as well. And don't forget that if it is only an ebook, you'll need to get is confirmed in the ebook verification for length thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 24: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne | 592 comments Trish wrote: "I see two authors on the first link you've posted, so no problem. I'll put it in the approved list.

As a suggestion, you could post in the "anyone with librarian status" thread to get the second a..."

Thank you so much. Because I was unsure, I already have a request in for the ebook confirmation. I will follow up on the librarian suggestion. Thanks again.