The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

107 views
SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 25.5 - Katiegirl's Task: Whole 30

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 01, 2017 05:25PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4347 comments Mod
25.5 - KatieGirl's Task: Whole30

In preparation for summer, I'm focusing on eating healthy foods by doing Whole30. Whole30 is a 30 day dietary reset developed by Dallas Hartwig & Melissa Hartwig that focuses on eating whole foods and cutting out foods that may have a negative impact on your health.

This task is inspired by Whole30 and its related books. This is a two book task. Choose one book from each of two different options.
REQUIRED: State the options you chose in your post.

1. It Starts with Food
This option is inspired by It Starts with Food: Discover the Whole30 and Change Your Life in Unexpected Ways.
The Whole30 program is all about your relationship with food and learning how foods affect you, physically, mentally and emotionally.

Read a book with Food or Food and Drink as a main page genre. The genre may be standalone or embedded.

2. The Whole30
This option is inspired by The Whole30: The 30-Day Guide to Total Health and Food Freedom. On the Whole30, you eliminate all foods and drinks from the following 5 food groups for 30 days: grains, dairy, legumes, alcohol & added sugar. These are in so much of what we eat that at first it seems impossible to go 30 days without them. For this option, avoid some of the major literary genres.

Read a book that does not contain any of the following as main page genres, standalone or embedded: Mystery, Romance, Fantasy, Science Fiction, or Historical.

3. Food Freedom Forever
This option is inspired by Food Freedom Forever: Letting Go of Bad Habits, Guilt, and Anxiety Around Food. After completing the 30 day reset, you have to figure out what and how you want to eat going forward to feel like your best self. This is called Food Freedom Forever, or FFF.

Read a book with a title with exactly 3 words where all words in the title start with the same letter. This includes articles (a, an, the) and conjunctions (and, but, or). Subtitles should be ignored.


message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4347 comments Mod
This thread is now open.


message 5: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (watermelanie) | 124 comments Would history non-fiction work for option 2?


message 6: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments can i get this noted as only two genres contemporary and young adult.
Violet Grenade

thanks


message 7: by Peg (new)

Peg | 389 comments My question is the same as Melanie, History and non-fiction. My example is The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary Thank you!


message 8: by Katie (last edited Jun 01, 2017 06:14PM) (new)

Katie | 241 comments Melanie wrote: "Would history non-fiction work for option 2?"

Melanie, a history nonfiction book would work for option 2 as long as it doesn't contain any of those 5 main page genres. History is okay as a main page genre, just not Historical.


message 9: by Katie (new)

Katie | 241 comments JennRenee wrote: "can i get this noted as only two genres contemporary and young adult.
Violet Grenade

thanks"


Noted. Approved for Option 2.


message 10: by Katie (new)

Katie | 241 comments Peg wrote: "My question is the same as Melanie, History and non-fiction. My example is The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary Than..."

Yep, that would work. History is fine as a main page genre, just not Historical.


message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily | 644 comments Can I get The Condition approved for Option 2?


message 12: by Katie (new)

Katie | 241 comments Boston Kate wrote: "Can I get The Condition approved for Option 2?"

Approved.


message 13: by Bridgett (new)

Bridgett (brikie) | 6 comments Please verify Kitchens of the Great Midwest for Food and Drink MPG. Thanks!


Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2965 comments Are there any books that just have Young Adult as a genre only?


message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1123 comments Can you please approve Beartown for Option 2?


message 16: by Deborah (last edited Jun 01, 2017 10:40PM) (new)

Deborah | 1318 comments Can you please approve Into the River for Option 2?
Also The Book of Spice: From Anise to Zedoary for Option 1. Thanks!


message 17: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1467 comments Please verify food and drink as a main page genre for State of the Onion. Currently 19 users

Thanks.


message 18: by Trish (last edited Jun 02, 2017 12:21AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments Can you confirm Back When We Were Grown Ups for Option 2, as not having any of the prohibited genres?

Cheers.


message 19: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2398 comments can you confirm Between the World and Me for option 2 NOT any of MPG listed


message 20: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3606 comments Please confirm for Option 2: main page genre NOT: Mystery, romance, science fiction, fantasy, or historical
My Mrs. Brown by William Norwich


message 21: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15614 comments Mod
Please confirm Men Without Women: Stories for option 2 - none of the prohibited genres.


message 22: by Katie (new)

Katie | 241 comments BriKie wrote: "Please verify Kitchens of the Great Midwest for Food and Drink MPG. Thanks!"

Approved.


message 23: by Katie (new)

Katie | 241 comments Amy wrote: "Can you please approve Beartown for Option 2?"

Approved.


message 24: by Katie (new)

Katie | 241 comments Deborah wrote: "Can you please approve Into the River for Option 2?
Also The Book of Spice: From Anise to Zedoary for Option 1. Thanks!"


Both are approved.


message 25: by Katie (new)

Katie | 241 comments Lauren wrote: "Please verify food and drink as a main page genre for State of the Onion. Currently 19 users

Thanks."


Approved for Option 1.


message 26: by Katie (new)

Katie | 241 comments Trish wrote: "Can you confirm Back When We Were Grown Ups for Option 2, as not having any of the prohibited genres?

Cheers."


Approved.


message 27: by Katie (new)

Katie | 241 comments Marie wrote: "can you confirm Between the World and Me for option 2 NOT any of MPG listed"

Approved. (And it's a great book. I hope you enjoy it!)


message 28: by Katie (new)

Katie | 241 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Please confirm for Option 2: main page genre NOT: Mystery, romance, science fiction, fantasy, or historical
My Mrs. Brown by William Norwich"


Approved for Option 2.


message 29: by Katie (new)

Katie | 241 comments Sandy wrote: "Please confirm Men Without Women: Stories for option 2 - none of the prohibited genres."

Approved.


Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2965 comments Can I get Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons verified for option 2


message 31: by Diane (new)

Diane | 742 comments Here's all I can come up with for option 3. Do any of these not work?

Love's Labour's Lost
Ozma of Oz
Aiding and Abetting
Chili Con Corpses
Saving Saffron Sweeting


message 32: by Diane (new)

Diane | 742 comments May I also get Platform verified for option 2?


message 33: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments Katie wrote: "Trish wrote: "Can you confirm Back When We Were Grown Ups for Option 2, as not having any of the prohibited genres?

Cheers."

Approved."


Thanks, Katie.


message 34: by Trish (last edited Jun 03, 2017 01:29AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments Diane wrote: "Here's all I can come up with for option 3. Do any of these not work?

Love's Labour's Lost
Ozma of Oz
Aiding and Abetting
Chili Con Corpses
..."


Here's another one I've found for spec fiction fans - it's nominally part of a series, but the books are stand-alone with different characters Full Fathom Five


message 35: by Katie (new)

Katie | 241 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Can I get Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons verified for option 2"

Approved.


message 36: by Katie (new)

Katie | 241 comments Diane wrote: "Here's all I can come up with for option 3. Do any of these not work?

Love's Labour's Lost
Ozma of Oz
Aiding and Abetting
Chili Con Corpses
..."


Diane, all 5 of these books work for Option 3.


message 37: by Katie (new)

Katie | 241 comments Diane wrote: "May I also get Platform verified for option 2?"

Approved.


message 38: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 519 comments Please approve Ten Days in a Mad-House for option 2 as not containing any of the forbidden genres. Thank you!


message 39: by Katie (new)

Katie | 241 comments Camilla wrote: "Please approve Ten Days in a Mad-House for option 2 as not containing any of the forbidden genres. Thank you!"

Approved.


message 40: by Kim (new)

Kim Anderson (kimmatski) | 204 comments May I please get Death al Dente (Food Lovers' Village Mystery, #1) by Leslie Budewitz verified for MPG Food? Thanks in advance!


message 42: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments Oh, another for option 1 (I like having choices): Love, Loss, and What We Ate: A Memoir


message 43: by Katie (new)

Katie | 241 comments Kim wrote: "May I please get Death al Dente (Food Lovers' Village Mystery, #1) by Leslie Budewitz verified for MPG Food? Thanks in advance!"

Approved for Option 1.


message 45: by Katie (new)

Katie | 241 comments Sally wrote: "Oh, another for option 1 (I like having choices): Love, Loss, and What We Ate: A Memoir"

Approved for Option 1.


message 46: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1717 comments Does this work for option 3? It has 3 P's in the title:

Prince Charles: The Passions and Paradoxes of an Improbable Life


message 47: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1668 comments Would this be acceptable for Option #3

Murder, Money & Marzipan


message 48: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments I also have 3 books for Option 3, if someone still looks for something that fits:

The Twisted Thread
The Thief Taker
Murder Most Malicious


message 49: by Katie (new)

Katie | 241 comments Cindie wrote: "Does this work for option 3? It has 3 P's in the title:

Prince Charles: The Passions and Paradoxes of an Improbable Life"


This doesn't work for option 3. The book must have a title with exactly three words that begin with the same letter. Subtitles are to be ignored. That book has a 2 word title & the words in the title don't start with the same letter.


message 50: by Katie (new)

Katie | 241 comments Wanda wrote: "Would this be acceptable for Option #3

Murder, Money & Marzipan"


This doesn't work for option 3 because the & counts as a word. If the title was Murder, Money, Marzipan, then it would work.


« previous 1
back to top