CPL's Book Quest: The Challenge discussion

2017 Weekly Threads > Week 22- What Are You Reading?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 693 comments Mod
A raven wasn't Poe's first choice to say the famous line, "Nevermore." He changed his mind when he thought about the tone of the poem. His original choice was a parrot!

This author took his experience of being a POW who survived the bombing of Dresden in World War II and turned it into part of his satirical novel. Do you know who? Take a guess here.

Sorry for the late post! Monday holidays always throw me off my grove. Jennifer's June Take It or Leave It challenge is posted! The other two will be up on Saturday.

The Summer Reading Challenge beings tomorrow!! Be sure to visit the library's website for details and to register.

What is everyone reading this week to kick off the summer? I'm still working on Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and I also have Rescuing Penny Jane and This Is What a Librarian Looks Like.

Happy Reading!

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling Rescuing Penny Jane One Shelter Volunteer, Countless Dogs, and the Quest to Find Them All Homes by Amy Sutherland This Is What a Librarian Looks Like A Celebration of Libraries, Communities, and Access to Information by Kyle Cassidy

message 2: by Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) (last edited Jun 02, 2017 11:25AM) (new)

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) So nice to have our library back and the new carpet looks great.

This week I just finished Full Wolf Moon (pure entertainment for those who like scary stuff) and Birdcage Walk ( a book well read at night bc it put you to sleep it was so boring)

I am about to start Dragon Teeth and Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore. Plans on getting to The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women this week as well. I am reading Sometimes Amazing Things Happen: Heartbreak and Hope on the Bellevue Hospital Psychiatric Prison Ward right now and it is very interesting.

Dragon Teeth by Michael Crichton Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore by Matthew J. Sullivan The Radium Girls The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore Sometimes Amazing Things Happen Heartbreak and Hope on the Bellevue Hospital Psychiatric Prison Ward by Elizabeth Ford

message 3: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 693 comments Mod
Marialyce wrote: "So nice to have our library back and the new carpet looks great.

This week I just finished Full Wolf Moon (pure entertainment for those who like scary stuff) and [book:Birdcage Wal..."

You are always reading the most interesting books! I saw Radium Girls come in the other day and it looked good. I'll have to put that on my list. And let me know what you think of Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore! That definitely looks like the kind of book I would like.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Joanna wrote: "Marialyce wrote: "So nice to have our library back and the new carpet looks great.

This week I just finished Full Wolf Moon (pure entertainment for those who like scary stuff) and ..."

Oh Radium Girls was wonderful. I highly recommend it. Midnight At The Bright Ideas Bookstore was good though there were some obvious holes in the story. I gave it three stars and it is by a new author.

This week I am reading The Girls of Atomic City: The Untold Story of the Women Who Helped Win World War II, Ross Poldark, and The Weight of Lies. If you like to watch period pieces and have amazon prime, I highly recommend the series Poldark. It is produced by the BBC and has in its lead a gorgeous actor who plays Ross Poldark. Season 1 and 2 are available.

I might also try to get to David Sedaris new book Theft by Finding: Diaries

Theft by Finding Diaries (1977-2002) by David Sedaris , The Girls of Atomic City The Untold Story of the Women Who Helped Win World War II by Denise Kiernan , Ross Poldark (Poldark, #1) by Winston Graham .