Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6)
Archive - Series Reads > Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter #6) - June 2017

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is the sixth book in the Harry Potter Series. The group is reading the series in preparation for reading the Fantasy Category Winner Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two later in the year.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling

The war against Voldemort is not going well: even Muggle governments are noticing. Ron scans the obituary pages of The Daily Prophet looking for familiar names. Dumbledore is absent from Hogwarts for long stretches of time, and the Order of the Phoenix has already suffered losses. And yet... As in all wars, life goes on. Sixth-year students learn to Apparate, and lose a few eyebrows in the process. The Weasley twins expand their business. Teenagers flirt and fight and fall in love. Classes are never straightforward, though Harry receives some extraordinary help from the mysterious Half-Blood Prince. So it's the home front that takes center stage in the multilayered sixth installment of the story of Harry Potter. Harry struggles to uncover the identity of the Half-Blood Prince, the past owner of a potions textbook he now possesses that is filled with ingenious, potentially deadly, spells. But Harry's life is suddenly changed forever when someone close to him is heinously murdered right before his eyes. With Dumbledore's guidance, he seeks out the full, complex story of the boy who became Lord Voldemort, and thereby attempts to find what may be his only vulnerability.

message 2: by Lynn, Moderator (last edited May 31, 2017 04:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
The one thing that's really standing out for me with these re-reads is the humour.

Especially with the later books, I remember them getting a lot more serious and darker which is still true ...... however there's so much humour too that has me laughing out loud.

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 6035 comments Mod
I've noticed that too, Lynn. I'm really looking forward to getting back to the story.

message 4: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Savanes | 2044 comments Mod
I agree Lynn!
I feel though that the further in the story (book 1 to 6), the more you can feel JK Rowling suffered through depression. It's even more true in her adult books.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huuuuge fan of HP but to me this is not her best. The beginning is way to slow and dark (to me). However, I liked how she wrapped everything up.

Reija | 101 comments (view spoiler)

I really like how this book start, I have always liked parts were magical and real world smash into each other. I don't remember if the movie version was part in coffee house.. it was even funnier. Even if it little bit weird to have access to prime minister office (portrait), whole portrait access anywhere is quite insult for privacy.

message 6: by Summer (new) - added it

Summer (paradisecity) | 29 comments I just finished OotP and enjoyed the second half of the book much more an the first half. I'm looking forward to this reread, too, now that I've got my momentum going!

message 7: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Flying through this one at the moment. Hope to finish it tomorrow.

message 8: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
I flew threw this one too, finished it ages ago and already started and nearly finished Deathly Hallows!

message 9: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I finished earlier today and there were a couple of things that I thought were in this book that weren't and a couple of things that I thought were in the last book that were in this one. I'm not sure if I'm confusing it with the movies or if I just have it mixed up in my head. Now I can't wait to read the final book to see which it is.

I feel like this is the book where it starts to get really intense and Harry seems to grow up a little in this one.

message 10: by Summer (new) - added it

Summer (paradisecity) | 29 comments This one's quite fun, what with Harry's adventures with Dumbledore. One thing I've never understood, though, is what Hermione sees in Ron. That's always baffled me.