Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Dan's May Reads

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan in AZ (last edited May 31, 2017 04:29PM) (new)

Dan in AZ | 2628 comments 1. Golden Prey, John Sandford. First book with Lucas as a US Marshall. Typically good Sandford production, and Lucas even teams up with some new sidekicks. 4Plus
2. The Hades Factor, Robert Ludlum (supposedly) and Gayle Lynds. This is why I shy away from co-authored books with a celebrity author and someone else. The someone else wrote it, and the celeb only provided his name. No way Ludlum actually wrote any of this terrible book .Plot sucked, writing was horrible, and it went downhill from there. DNF. 1
3. Iron Lake, William Kent Krueger. Cork O'Connor's search for a missing youth uncovers all kinds of chicanery. Characters are well drawn, plot is good, and the writing supports it all. 4Plus
4. The Summoning God, Michael/Kathleen Gear. Continuing story of ancient pueblo peoples and a murderous entity that stalks their villages. 4
5. Vicious Circle, CJ Box. Joe and his family are threatened by the Cates family and a couple helpers, but Joe has a helper in Nate. Between them, the threat is neutralized. 4
6. The First City Joe Hart. Final book in the trilogy reveals some interesting twists and brings the story to a satisfying conclusion. 4
7. Way Station, Clifford Simak. Sci-Fi. MC is an earthling drafted to run a way station for traveling beings of the galaxy. Book is really a philosophical discussion of man's relationship to one another, to the planet, and possibly to other beings who might exist all within the context of a spiritual factor which smooths out the rough edges. 4Plus

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3598 comments Pretty good month! I know what you mean about those "co-authored" books!

message 3: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2963 comments I also am leery of co authors, especially if one of them is James Patterson.
I was happy to see in the Box that this one was much less Joe vs the System.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Good month

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Nice descriptions, Dan. I loved Golden Prey and was glad to see Sandford continue the humor that I so appreciate with the Davenport and Flowers series.

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1606 comments Except for the DNF, you had a pretty good (mostly male) month :)

message 7: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2963 comments Are you saying he needs to get in touch with his softer side?

message 8: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2628 comments My softer side is confined to a very small portion of my body - all above the shoulders.

message 9: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Dan in AZ wrote: "My softer side is confined to a very small portion of my body - all above the shoulders."

I was very curious to see how this sentence would end.

message 10: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1114 comments So was I lol

message 11: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3589 comments good month, dan. i read golden prey too and liked it.

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments Dan: Nice looking month! I look forward to reading several on your list, especially Way Station. I've been meaning to get back to Joe Hart and William Kent Krueger.

Dan in AZ wrote: "7. Way Station, Clifford Simak. Sci-Fi. MC is an earthling drafted to run a way station for traveling beings of the galaxy. Book is really a philosophical discussion of man's relationship to one another, to the planet, and possibly to other beings who might exist all within the context of a spiritual factor which smooths out the rough edges. 4Plus "

message 13: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Dan in AZ wrote: "1. Golden Prey, John Sandford. First book with Lucas as a US Marshall. Typically good Sandford production, and Lucas even teams up with some new sidekicks. 4Plus
2. The Hades Factor, Robert Ludlum ..."

good month for you.