SQHS Sci-Fi/Fantasy 2017 discussion

Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Sims | 8 comments The Way of Kings (Book one of the Stormlight Archive) by Brandon Sanderson
Review by Jordan Sims

How to begin a review of The Way of Kings? This book was so chocked full of information that a simple summary is nearly impossible. But I will try my best. It begins with the death of a king, this sends the kingdoms to war, a long and terrible war with many deaths of soldiers. This book follows the stories of four different characters. The first is a Highprince who is fighting in the battle but is beginning to think of peace and an end to this never ending war. The second is an amazing warrior who through a series of betrayals ends up as a slave in one of the other Highprince’s armies. His is a story of resilient bravery and a desperate longing to save those he loves. Next is a girl who only wants to protect her family form destruction but has determined that theft is the only way forward. And finally is the story of an assassin. He has incredible powers but cannot make decisions for himself, instead he must obey the one who holds his Oath Stone. All of these come together to begin the unraveling of an immensely complicated plot filled with political schemes, battle strategy and mysterious uncoverings.

This book is definitely in my top five. I absolutely loved it! Brandon Sanderson does an incredible job world-building. At first he kinda just throws a bunch of new terminology and words at you, but I was quickly able to get into the flow of his writing. His ability to describe what is going on in such away that you can see it in your mind is perfect. One of the most interesting things was that this world has a completely different set of flora and fauna, but in one chapter he brings you to a remote part of his world where the plants are like our own, and it is the most exciting thing to recognize familiar territory in a place so foreign. My favorite part though, is how in depth I got to know the characters, even at half way through the book I was still learning and coming to understand the motives behind their actions. This book is the first of what is said to eventually be a ten part series, so I am very excited to see where this story goes!

message 2: by Erika (new)

Erika Thorsen | 18 comments Mod
I saw you reading this tome, but it seems it's worth the thousand page or so journey, based on your review! Are all the books in the series as long?

message 3: by Brayden (new)

Brayden Charette | 10 comments The book sounds incredibly interesting! Though I am quite curious what time period do the book take place?

message 4: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Larsen | 7 comments This books sounds interesting although a little lengthy, when and where does this book take place?