A Good Thriller discussion

PIFM - Archive > PIFM - July 2017 Read

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5751 comments Mod
Hello all!

The time has come to choose your book selections for your July 2017 read in the PIFM challenge.

The rules are:-

* You can choose any number of books. A minimum of two and up to a maximum of 10.

* Please, only ONE MESSAGE per member. That means NO REPLYING or CHATTING in this thread.

* Once you have made your selections and posted, when your votes start to come in you can then add your votes cast by other members beneath your book titles ie. the following might be how my list would look:-

Little Black Lies - Sharon Bolton
x 1 - Christine

Pretty Girls - Karin Slaughter
x 1 - Brenda
x 1 - Perri

How you post is your choice, you can link, do pictures, the above is just an example. The key is that you stick with the one message and update it as the votes come in. Your list can be placed when the July threads go up.

message 2: by Patricia (last edited Jun 29, 2017 09:00AM) (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 1120 comments From my TBR list:

Caleb by Charles Alverson Caleb
Amber - Ann - Lisa - Amy

The House on Primrose Pond by Yona Zeldis McDonough The House on Primrose Pond
Dana - Romantic - Agnieszka - Vickie

Only Time Will Tell (The Clifton Chronicles, #1) by Jeffrey Archer Only Time Will Tell
Perri - Aesaan

The Obsidian Chamber (Pendergast #16) by Douglas Preston The Obsidian Chamber

The Solomon Curse (Fargo Adventure, #7) by Clive Cussler The Solomon Curse
Daisy - Kirsten - Sophie

A Dubious Secret (Colton Banyon Mysteries, #2) by Gerald J. Kubicki A Dubious Secret
Mandy

message 3: by Dana (last edited Jun 29, 2017 11:34AM) (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 583 comments Some randoms for me:

1) Anything Is Possible
2) The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America - Patricia, Perri, Amber, Kirsten, Mandy, Sophie, Lisa
3) The Fall of Lisa Bellow - Agnieszka
4) One of Us Is Lying - Romantic, Daisy, Vicki, Amy
5) Allegedly - Aesaan, Ann
6) The Woman in Cabin 10
7) Before I Fall

Anything Is Possible by Elizabeth Strout The Devil in the White City Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America by Erik Larson The Fall of Lisa Bellow by Susan Perabo One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus Allegedly by Tiffany D. Jackson The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

message 4: by Perri (last edited Jun 14, 2017 07:13AM) (new)

Perri Heating up July with some love stories;

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett Bel Canto Patricia, Amber, Kirsten, Lisa,Agnieszka
Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2) by Diana Gabaldon Dragonfly in Amber Daisy, Mandy
The Shipping News by Annie Proulx The Shipping News Dana, RBW, Sophie, Ann, Vicki
Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh Brideshead Revisited
The End of the Affair by Graham Greene The End of the Affair Aesaan

message 5: by Sue (new)

Sue Phillips | 50 comments I see lots of books I now want!

message 6: by Romanticbookworm (last edited Jun 16, 2017 10:20AM) (new)

Romanticbookworm | 43 comments I am going to put down some longer books this month

Mistress of Rome (The Empress of Rome, #1) by Kate Quinn - Mistress Of Rome by Kate Quinn - Amber

Outlander (Outlander #1) by Diana Gabaldon - Outlander by Diana Gabaldon -Daisy, Dana, Mandy, Aesaan, Perri

The Valley of Amazement by Amy Tan - Valley of Amazement by Amy Tan - Sophie, Ann, Vicki

The Clan of the Cave Bear (Earth's Children, #1) by Jean M. Auel - Clan Of The Cave Bear by Jean Auel - Patricia

Madame Tussaud by Michelle Moran -Madame Tussauds by Michelle Moran - Agnieska

Ross Poldark (Poldark, #1) by Winston Graham -Ross Poldark by Winston Graham - Kirsten, Lisa

The Dark Rose (The Morland Dynasty, #2) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles - The Dark Rose by Cynthia - Harrod Eagles

My Sweet Revenge by Jane Fallon - Sweet Revenge by Jane Fallon

The Beach Hut by Veronica Henry - Beach Hut by Veronica Henry

Devil's Consort by Anne O'Brien - Devils Consort by Anne O'Brien

message 7: by Aesaan (last edited Jun 30, 2017 05:17PM) (new)

Aesaan (highlycaffeinatedreader) | 168 comments Wow this was fast :) I haven't started with my June read yet...

Darktown - (Agnieszka)
The Refugees
The Whistler
Magpie Murders - (Amber, Amy)
Mystic River - (Patricia, Perri, Daisy, Mandy, Sophie, Ann, Lisa, Vicki)
In Farleigh Field: A Novel of World War II - (RBW, Kristen)
The Talented Mr. Ripley - (Dana)

Darktown (Darktown, #1) by Thomas Mullen The Refugees by Viet Thanh Nguyen The Whistler by John Grisham Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz Mystic River by Dennis Lehane In Farleigh Field by Rhys Bowen The Talented Mr. Ripley (Ripley, #1) by Patricia Highsmith

message 8: by Kirsten (last edited Jun 29, 2017 05:14PM) (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8101 comments The Coronation (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #7) by Boris Akunin The Coronation by Boris Akunin (Erast Fandorin #7)

The Silent Sea (The Oregon Files, #7) by Clive Cussler The Silent Sea by Clive Cussler (The Oregon Files #7)

4 votes - Dana, Patricia, Daisy, Vicki

Let It Bleed (Inspector Rebus, #7) by Ian Rankin Let It Bleed by Ian Rankin (Inspector Rebus #7)

9 votes - Romanticbookworm, Perri, Mandy, Aesaan, Sophie,
Ann, Agnieszka, Lisa, Amy

Styx and Stones (Daisy Dalrymple, #7) by Carola Dunn Styx and Stones by Carola Dunn (Daisy Dalrymple #7)

1 vote - Amber

message 9: by Daisy (last edited Jun 11, 2017 06:24AM) (new)

message 10: by Amber (last edited Jun 14, 2017 09:15AM) (new)

Amber Martingale 1. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7... (The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American by Jeff Smith, Chris Cart (Illustrator)
2. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5... (James Beard's American Cookery
by James Beard)
3. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3... (A Place Where Sunflowers Grow (砂漠に咲いたひまわり) Japanese/ English Bilingual
by Amy Lee-Tai, Felicia Hoshino (Illustrator)) +1
Agnieszka

4. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2... (Part of Our Lives: A People's History of the American Public Library
by Wayne A. Wiegand)
5. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1... (The Jedi in the Lotus: Star Wars and the Hindu Tradition
by Steven J. Rosen, Jonathan Young)
6. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3... (Beren and Lúthien (Middle-Earth Universe)
by J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (editor), Alan Lee (illustrator)) +3
Aesaan
Mandy
Sophie

7. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3... (Lion of Senet (Second Sons #1)
by Jennifer Fallon (Goodreads Author))
8. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1... (Sherlock Holmes: The Will of the Dead (Sherlock Holmes)
by George Mann) +4
Perri
Daisy
Ann
Lisa

9. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4... (The Silver Pigs (Marcus Didius Falco #1)
by Lindsey Davis) +4
Patricia
Romanticbookworm
Kirsten
Vicki

and 10. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6... (Chicks Dig Time Lords: A Celebration of Doctor Who by the Women Who Love It
by Lynne M. Thomas (Goodreads Author) (Editor), Tara O'Shea (Goodreads Author) (Editor), Catherynne M. Valente (Goodreads Author), Sophie Aldred, Elizabeth Bear (Goodreads Author), Mary Robinette Kowal (Goodreads Author), Carole E. Barrowman (Goodreads Author), Seanan McGuire (Goodreads Author) , Jody Lynn Nye (Goodreads Author), Kate Orman, Lloyd Rose, Lisa Bowerman, Johanna Mead, India Fisher, Jackie Jenkins, Christa Dickson (Goodreads Author), Deborah Stanish (Goodreads Author), Helen Kang, Francesca Coppa, Jennifer Adams Kelley, Tammy Garrison (Goodreads Author), Katy Shuttleworth, Kathryn Sullivan (Goodreads Author), Laura Doddington, Shoshana Magnet, Robert Smith? (Goodreads Author), K. Tempest Bradford (Goodreads Author), L.M. Myles (Goodreads Author),et. al)* +1
Dana (1)

* I apologize for what looks like info dump, but that's the way it was credited on the GR page I got the book URL from.

**If you've followed me for a while, this is NOT my usual format. I've changed it by eliminating every book in previous lists that I can't find through Inter Library Loan, which I only use if I can't find it in my library's database.

message 11: by Mandy (last edited Jun 30, 2017 09:12AM) (new)

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments 1. Flesh House
Aesaan, Amber, Lisa, Amy

2. Dancing With The Virgins
Patricia, Dana, Agnieszka

3. Death Trip

4. Rebel Heart

5. The Well
Perri, Sophie, Daisy, Romantic, Vicki

6. The Wolves of London
Kirsten, Ann

The Wolves of London (Obsidian Heart, #1) by Mark Morris The Well by Catherine Chanter Rebel Heart (Dust Lands, #2) by Moira Young Death Trip (Detective Johnny Mann, #3) by Lee Weeks Dancing With The Virgins (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #2) by Stephen Booth Flesh House (Logan McRae, #4) by Stuart MacBride

message 12: by Sophie (last edited Jun 12, 2017 06:08AM) (new)

Sophie | 1067 comments 1. Repressed by Elizabeth Naughton Agnieszka (1)
2. The Fire Child by S K Tremayne
3. The Dry by Jane Harper Patricia, Perri, Kirsten, Mandy, RomanticBW, Ann (6)
4. The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena Dana, Daisy (2)
5. The Boy in the Park by A J Grayson
6. Assassin's Fate by Robin Hobb Amber (1)
7. Say You're Sorry by Melinda Leigh

Repressed (Deadly Secrets, #1) by Elisabeth Naughton The Fire Child by S.K. Tremayne The Dry (Aaron Falk, #1) by Jane Harper The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena The Boy in the Park by A.J. Grayson Assassin's Fate (The Fitz and the Fool, #3) by Robin Hobb Say You're Sorry (Morgan Dane #1) by Melinda Leigh

message 13: by Ann (last edited Jun 15, 2017 11:53PM) (new)

Ann Girdharry (anngirdharry) | 317 comments For July, I'm going back to crime/thrillers. Here's my selection -

1. Silent Scream by Angela Marsons
Silent Scream (D.I. Kim Stone, #1) by Angela Marsons
Dana, Daisy, Mandy, Sophie, Agnieszka, Vicki, Kirsten

2. Valentina by S.E.Lynes
Valentina by S.E. Lynes
Patricia, Romanticbookworm

3. The Fourth Monkey by J.D.Barker
The Fourth Monkey by J.D. Barker
Perri, Lisa

4. Flowers for the Dead by Barbara Copperthwaite
Flowers for the Dead by Barbara Copperthwaite
Amber

message 14: by Agnieszka (last edited Jun 29, 2017 10:51AM) (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1424 comments A selection of books I want to read soon :-) I exchanged only three of the titles from last month - the two I hope to read this month and one I'm not in the mood right now *grin*

5 Cold Hearted (Cold Justice, #6) by Toni Anderson Sophie, Mandy, Romanticbookworm, Aesaan, Amy
0 The Recruiter (Chuck Brandt, #1) by Roger Weston
0 Persecuted I Will Not Be Silent by Robin Parrish
1 Deceptive Cadence (The Virtuosic Spy, #1) by Kathryn Guare Kirsten
1 No Safe Haven by Kimberley Woodhouse Daisy
0 Wrong Number, Right Guy (The Bourbon Street Boys, #1) by Elle Casey
2 Web of Deceit (Agents Under Fire #1) by Susan Sleeman Patricia, Ann
3 The Wreck by Marie Force Amber, Lisa, Vicki
2 Reese's Cowboy Kiss Witness Protection - Rancher Style Blake's Story (Sweet Montana Bride #1) by Kimberly Krey Perri, Dana
0 X-World by Jörg Arndt (sorry no English edition available - it's a German cyber-thriller)

message 15: by Lisa (last edited Jun 14, 2017 08:07AM) (new)

Lisa (ylisa7) | 501 comments I'm getting married in July after 20 years together, lol....so love is in the air. Here are my choices:

(1)Dare to Desire Dare to Desire (Dare to Love, #2) by Carly Phillips Amber

(2)Mad About You Mad About You by Stephanie Bond Daisy, Agnieszka

(1)Sheltering Hearts Sheltering Hearts (Virgin River, #10.1) by Robyn Carr Romantic

(4)I Think I Love You I Think I Love You by Stephanie Bond Dana, Perri, Sophie, Vicki

(2)Crazy Kisses Crazy Kisses (Steele Street, #4) by Tara Janzen Patricia, Mandy

message 16: by Vicki Willis (last edited Jun 29, 2017 05:41PM) (new)

Vicki Willis | 927 comments I am putting up some books that I have "more" recently put onto my TBR, as opposed to books that have been there for years. :)

The Lucky Ones by Mark Edwards The Lucky Ones
Mandy, Aesaan, Daisy

Always by Sarah Jio Always
Agnieszka

The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon The Sun Is Also a Star
Perri, Romantic, Kirsten, Dana, Amber, Amy

The Sister by Louise Jensen The Sister
Ann

Duplicity by Sibel Hodge Duplicity
Patricia

message 17: by La Tonya (last edited Jun 22, 2017 10:18PM) (new)

message 18: by Amy (last edited Jun 27, 2017 09:45AM) (new)

Amy (thenikitagirl) | 653 comments I know it's late but if anyone has time the next few days I'd love to get in every one this year. Just finishing up my May one today (so frigging good) en route home and will start June's.

1. A Court of Thorns and Roses
2. City of Glass
3. Insurgent
4. Twilight
5. Throne of Glass
6. Six of Crows

A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3) by Cassandra Clare Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo

Thank you if you find the time. I'll vote on my drive from the airport.