Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Barry's miserly May 17

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2942 comments Too mcuh travel, too much work.
Since We Fell: Dennis Lehane
At the start, almost chickish in its presentation, a female reporter who just sees too much and can no longer cope. I know I had read this was a murder mystery though, and sure enough, the tenor of the book changes, and Lehane shows himself a master of the twist. (B+)

The Burial Hour: Jeffery Deaver
As always, more twists and turns than you can beat with a stick. The case takes them to Italy, and changes so often and so radically that anything I might say about it would be a spoiler. In the background though is the tale of Rhyme and Sachs trying to get married. (B)

Little White Lies: Ace Atkins
Atkins writing Parker’s Spenser series. Spenser and Hawk go after a church in the South that does not seem so godly. (B)

Man Overboard: JA Jance
An Ali Reynolds novel, much improved over the very anti-male beginning of this series, and much more sophisticated in its treatment of cybercrime, but still way too prone to telegtraph what is coming next, and to being formulaic. (B)

An Echo of War: Grant Blackwood
A quite dated spy thriller with a race against time to find a virus before itis unleashed on an unsuspecting world. I suspect this was not an ‘A’ rated book when it was written in 2003 either. (B-)

Rain on the Dead : Jack Higgins
Spy type thriller. I had gotten tired of this author a while ago, thought I’d give him another shot, I’m still tired of him. (B-)

message 2: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2614 comments Respectable month, all things considered.

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3588 comments I read Little White Lies this month, too. Pretty good read.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Not a bad month.

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments At least you also had some fun travel. I'm not finished Since We Fell yet but so far I agree with you.

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1598 comments Love Atkins and Jance!

message 7: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2942 comments Susie, I am close to giving up on Jance, even having read everything she has ever written.

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14205 comments Barry: A short month can still be good month and at least I hope the travel was all fun; too much work - get that balance back!

message 9: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments I didn't enjoy the Deaver's book.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Since We Fell (other topics)