Jewel High School discussion

Classrooms > English

Comments Showing 1-50 of 113 (113 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Mac (new)

Mac K (mac_k99) This is the English classroom.

message 2: by Ev (new)

Ev (kickbuttbookworm) Chloe and Emily walked up to the doorway of the English classroom.

"I still don't see why you couldn't just change classes, so you wouldn't be the only cheerleader in your English class," Emily said sourly.

"It's my dad," Chloe lied. "He won't let me switch because I need to have friends outside of the cheer team."

She waved goodbye to her friend and walked into the classroom and sat down in the second row.

message 3: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 38 comments Mod
Fletcher stepped to the side as a cheerleader sashayed past, ignoring Fletcher's existence like a pro. Walking into the English classroom, he spotted Chloe's lone figure in the second row.

He called, "Hey, Chloe! Thank you for meeting with me here." Glancing back at the doorway, he added, "And thanks for being the only non-jerk cheerleader in the school."

As he took the seat to her right, he asked, "So what's up?"

message 4: by Ev (new)

Ev (kickbuttbookworm) "I figured out how you got in," Chloe said. She had figured it out during math class towards the end and she was wanting to punch Daddy dearest in the face. She had mentioned Fletcher's name when she had told her dad about the quest, and her dad had asked where Fletcher went to school

message 5: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 38 comments Mod
"Oh?" Fletcher's curiosity heightened. "To the school, you mean?"

message 6: by Ev (new)

Ev (kickbuttbookworm) "Yup," Chloe said, sounding bored. She pulled out her phone and started messing with it, so that to any random person, it would look like she wasn't paying any attention to Fletcher

message 7: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 38 comments Mod
Fletcher grinned. He could tell -- or at least he hoped -- that she was keeping an aloof facade for the benefit of anyone watching.

Clearing his throat and pulling things out of his backpack, he said in jest, "I guess it doesn't have anything to do with my good grades and overall awesomeness. How did I get in?"

message 8: by Ev (new)

Ev (kickbuttbookworm) Chloe smirked and said," Oh, you want to know?"

message 9: by Nathan (last edited Jun 10, 2017 12:48PM) (new)

Nathan | 38 comments Mod
Fletcher nodded dramatically. "I'm dying of curiosity now."

message 10: by Ev (new)

Ev (kickbuttbookworm) "Let's just say that an influential person heard about you and convinced the board to not only admit you, but give you some serious scholarships and grants," Chloe said vaguely

message 11: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 38 comments Mod
"Ah..." Fletcher glanced at her, wondering if her vague answer was because he shouldn't know or because people could be listening. "Nice guy. Is he somebody I know?"

message 12: by Ev (new)

Ev (kickbuttbookworm) "You've heard of them," Chloe said, opening up her notebook.

message 13: by Nathan (last edited Jun 10, 2017 03:13PM) (new)

Nathan | 38 comments Mod
"Okay." Fletcher drew out the word as he pondered her words, still unsure why she was so cryptic.

"Another question, why would they be interested in me?"

Fletcher hated this guessing game, but he assumed Chloe had a good reason for playing riddles. Maybe this was how cheerleader Chloe was. Or she might have some external reason... He shook his head and straightened his pile of books, still watching Chloe out of the corner of his eye.

message 14: by Ev (new)

Ev (kickbuttbookworm) Chloe smirked again.

"Someone that they care about may have put in a good word." Chloe replied. She didn't want to outright tell him just yet, although if he guessed correctly, she won't deny it

message 15: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 38 comments Mod
Fletcher grinned. "How nice of them."

He wasn't quite sure if he appreciated the fact that he only got in because of some outside influence. He thought he had gotten in by skill. That stung a little bit. But at least he was in. He would have to make his acceptance worth it to his mysterious supporter.

Fletcher tried to solve her mystery. It's someone I've heard of. Influential in this school. Apparently likes something I did since they put in a good word. So they must have heard about me. They care about someone who knows me.

He froze and stared at Chloe's unassuming face. How does she know about who did it unless...?

Chloe was good. Her eyes didn't betray anything.

He asked hesitantly, "So I'm fine if you would rather me not, but am I allowed to guess?"

Fletcher glanced around the room, which was now occupied by at least a dozen students.

message 16: by Ev (new)

Ev (kickbuttbookworm) Chloe shrugged. "If you want to," Chloe offered without turning away her gaze from the front of the room where the teacher was unpacking their things

message 17: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 38 comments Mod
Fletcher wasn't sure whether she was actually OK with it, but he was ready for some facts.

He began scrawling something on his notebook. While he wrote, Fletcher had a sudden coughing fit, in which he said the words, "Your dad." He looked at her expectantly.

message 18: by Ev (new)

Ev (kickbuttbookworm) "Theoretically," Chloe said out of the corner of her mouth as she scribbled down notes from the white board

message 19: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 38 comments Mod
"I see." Fletcher looked down at his notebook. "Well, if he did hypothetically let me in, tell him thanks for me."

Fletcher cleared his throat and nonchalantly held up his notebook and inch so Chloe would be able to see the page. Scrawled across the page was

Is somebody listening to us or something?

He knew that that was a bit blunt, but he wanted to find out why exactly Chloe was so cryptic. The professor was rambling, and most of the kids were either playing on their phone under their desk, sleeping, or taking notes.

Now that he had solved one mystery, he wanted to solve another -- more pressing -- one.

message 20: by Ev (last edited Jun 10, 2017 05:44PM) (new)

Ev (kickbuttbookworm) Chloe acted like she didn't see Fletcher's note, and continued copying down the classroom rules. When she wrote "Always raise your hand if you want to ask a question" she circled the word always. That's how it is at school, not that it's specific to this school, that's how all high schools are, Chloe thought

message 21: by Nathan (last edited Jun 10, 2017 06:11PM) (new)

Nathan | 38 comments Mod
Fletcher glanced at her paper and nodded slightly. Well that was a creepy response. He would have to remember that as he went through the school year.

He wondered why people would be listening. Was every school a lion's den then? He didn't really know, seeing how he hadn't been in one long enough to know before.

He tried for her -- more inconspicuous -- style. Fletcher wrote in no order between words in his notes What would people do if they were listening. He nonchalantly tapped each word he wanted her to read with the tip of his pencil.

He added with the same method Bully?.

message 22: by Ev (new)

Ev (kickbuttbookworm) Chloe arched an eyebrow. She shook her head. Bullies weren't exactly a problem for her. She scribbled on her paper 'Morse Code?'

message 23: by Nathan (last edited Jun 10, 2017 06:29PM) (new)

Nathan | 38 comments Mod
Fletcher shrugged. It was worth a shot. But he had figured that bullies didn't bug her. Her response was confirmation. She was definitely a cheerleader who couldn't be touched. Too tough and popular for bullies to risk.

He scoffed mentally. Why hadn't he thought of Morse Code? Way easier than writing elaborate messages, although that was a fun method. It made sense she would know Morse Code, and he was suddenly glad for all the hours he spent around Leo Valdez. One learns a trick or two when hanging around that kid.

He tapped with his pencil Sure.

message 24: by Ev (new)

Ev (kickbuttbookworm) Chloe began to tap her pencil as though she was bored, which wasn't hard to fake.

It's like being a celebrity, every move you make is watched, and if you slip up, you're done Chloe tapped. It was a lot to take in, so she tapped it a second time before stopping.

Before Fletcher had a chance to reply, her hand shot up in the air when the teacher asked a question, and answered it in perfect detail, proving that she was, in fact, paying very good attention. The only problem was she couldn't hear if Fletcher had tapped anything or not.

message 25: by Nathan (last edited Jun 10, 2017 06:43PM) (new)

Nathan | 38 comments Mod
As she tapped, Fletcher flicked through his workbook as if searching for a reference.

Well that made sense. Boy, he had a lot to learn.

Fletcher began tapping out Tough cr when her hand shot into the air and answers began pouring from her lips in rapid fire. He flinched. How did she do that? He thought he had been paying attention, but he had no idea what the professor just said. He barely took in Chloe's response. He usually was very attentive, but he had too many thoughts whirling in his head to concentrate.

When she was done, he began tapping again Tough crowd. Can you not even make new friends then?

message 26: by Ev (new)

Ev (kickbuttbookworm) Chloe listened to his message and immediately started tapping back.
Sure, I can, but I'd have to have a reason to, otherwise you wouldn't exactly be accepted.

Chloe continued writing down notes as the teacher droned on and on. She was pretty good at paying attention to a teacher and thinking about something totally different. She had had lots of practice when she was younger and her dad made her sit in on company meetings.

message 27: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 38 comments Mod
Fletcher tried to concentrate on what she was tapping and what the teacher was saying, but it was too difficult. He heard the teacher say something about gerund phrases.

Fletcher realized that he missed some of what Chloe tapped. He guessed that he heard the most important stuff, like Sure, reason to, and wouldn't be accepted.

Fletcher hoped Chloe didn't mind all of his questions. He had quite a few. If he was going to be in this shark tank all school year, he wanted to know how the sharks behaved.

After copying a random fact about gerund phrases from the marker board, he tapped out A reason for branching out? Harsh. What kind of reason is acceptable? Not that I want to get involved with the cheerleaders, but I might be able to make a good reason. He repeated the tap sequence to make sure she got it.

Realizing she might be close to her cheerleader posse and not appreciate that he didn't like the typical cheerleader, he added No offense.

message 28: by Ev (new)

Ev (kickbuttbookworm) Chloe started tapping back right away -Say, if you were on a sports team, or you were really hot, or if you won underground. She wasn't sure what to tell Fletcher about underground, it was definitely the weirdest thing at the school. She twirled her ponytail around her finger and glanced at the clock, only ten more minutes of class.

message 29: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 38 comments Mod
Fletcher considered her options.

He wasn't particularly good at any sports, and it was probably too late to enter one. He didn't necessarily want to be a jock, anyways.

And hot? Forget it. Fletcher didn't consider himself bad-looking, but he was definitely not good enough for cheerleaders' good graces.

And underground...? He hadn't heard that term before. It sounded interesting though. He tapped Underground?

Fletcher glanced at the clock when he noticed Chloe do so. Time flew fast when talking in Morse Code. He quickly tapped before she could start, Tell me later?

message 30: by Ev (new)

Ev (kickbuttbookworm) Chloe began to pack up her things, and tapped Think Fight Club. She finished gathering her things and the bell rung. She shot out of her seat and through the door.

message 31: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 38 comments Mod
Fletcher stared at his notebook, which was mostly empty, as Chloe darted from the room.

Fight club, huh? He could do that. Fighting was one of his only strengths. He would have to investigate this new and exciting adventure. Finally, some more action.

He had a sudden moment of confusion. Why am I willing to go into a fight club again? This was stupid! A fight club in a school just to be appreciated and accepted as "cool" so he could be allowed to make friends! Make friends with people he was already friends with.

He packed his books neatly in his bag and stood up. He decided to continue investigating ways to be free. If the underground turned out to be a fraud and too much work, he'd leave it be. He could live through the school year without talking to Chloe too much. He'd rather not have to do that, but it wasn't a life necessity.

Fletcher marched out the door and into the swarm of students.

message 32: by Ev (new)

Ev (kickbuttbookworm) ((Do you want to move this somewhere else and say it's later, have Emily(one of my characters who is also a cheerleader) meet Fletcher, or just be done?))

message 33: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 38 comments Mod
((We might just need to be done for now. I'm pretty busy this week, so I'm not going to be on much, so I should probably stop while we're at a good conclusion. We should have Fletcher and Emily meet at some point though; that'd be fun.
Btw, is the underground an actual thing on here? Cuz it sounds kinda cool... XD))

message 34: by Ev (new)

Ev (kickbuttbookworm) ((Im working on it, just needs to be approved))

message 35: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 38 comments Mod
((Cooooooool! That would be an exciting twist.))

message 36: by Ev (new)

Ev (kickbuttbookworm) (Yeah, not sure what the head mod'll say, but if it works it'll be really cool))

message 37: by Ev (new)

Ev (kickbuttbookworm) Leo lead Kat into the empty English classroom.

"Here is where you'll continue learning your first language" Leo said

message 38: by Daenerys (new)

Daenerys (danymotherofdragons) | 128 comments Kat laughed a bit at his joke,"I fail at other languages." (IRL too)

message 39: by Ev (new)

Ev (kickbuttbookworm) Leo laughed too. "Most people think that joke's pretty dumb."

message 40: by Daenerys (new)

Daenerys (danymotherofdragons) | 128 comments Kat shrugged,"It's sorta true though and English is my first language." Mixie mewed a bit,"Well yes that's true too." she smiled

message 41: by Daenerys (new)

Daenerys (danymotherofdragons) | 128 comments ( I gtg soon)

message 42: by Ev (new)

Ev (kickbuttbookworm) Leo chuckled. "What grade are you this, Kat?"

message 43: by Daenerys (new)

Daenerys (danymotherofdragons) | 128 comments Kat thought for a moment,"I have an A in English but I'm a junior."

message 44: by Ev (new)

Ev (kickbuttbookworm) "Cool," Leo said. "I'm a senior, and I went here last year too."

message 45: by Daenerys (new)

Daenerys (danymotherofdragons) | 128 comments Kat smiled,"You must know everything about the school then. Like any hidden rooms or maybe an Underground?"

message 46: by Ev (new)

Ev (kickbuttbookworm) Leo's grin fell when she mentioned underground. "Don't go there alone," Leo said "it's not exactly safe, and if you thought Chloe was mean, you'll be terrified down there."

message 47: by Daenerys (new)

Daenerys (danymotherofdragons) | 128 comments Kat smiled and put her hand on his shoulder,"I'm not afraid.Can you take me?Unless...you're afraid?"

message 48: by Ev (new)

Ev (kickbuttbookworm) "Let's just say I'm not stupid. It's all 'Fight Club' down there," Leo said defensively. "And I'm thinking your pets wouldn't most definitely not be safe."

message 49: by Daenerys (new)

Daenerys (danymotherofdragons) | 128 comments Kat frowned,"I'll find someone else to take me since you're so scared."

message 50: by Ev (new)

Ev (kickbuttbookworm) "Good luck with that," Leo said. "It's a scary place"

« previous 1 3