Phillips Summer 2017 Children's Lit discussion

Introductions

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Phillips | 12 comments Mod
Post a brief introduction of yourself for the group. Include your name, program, where you are in your program chronologically, and something you hope to gain by taking this course.

message 2: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Jenkins | 4 comments Hello all! My name is Katrina Jenkins and I am a Library Science major. I will be in my forth year this fall and I hope learn about the current trends in children's lit. I look forward to working with you all!

message 3: by Katie (last edited Jun 01, 2017 05:22PM) (new)

Katie Siwa (ktsiwa) | 4 comments Hey guys! I'm Katie Siwa. I'm studying Elementary Education with an ESL endorsement and I am in my second year of college. I'm set to graduate in the spring of 2019. I would like to learn how to pick culturally diverse books and creative ways to integrate content about different cultures into the classroom through books. I can't wait to meet everyone on Saturday!

message 4: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie Wenck | 5 comments Hello my name is Mackenzie Wenck and I am an elementary education major with inclusive practices. This coming fall will be my 4th year at UNO and I am set to graduate Fall of 2019. I hope to gain a knowledge for picking out informational, interesting books that kids in my classroom will be engaged in and want to read again they loved it so much!

message 5: by Michaela (new)

Michaela VanOeveren | 4 comments Hello! My name's Michaela, I'm here looking for a Secondary English education and school library certification, although if you asked me which I liked better - teaching or librarian-ing, I really couldn't tell you! I'll be a junior in the fall, and I'm set to graduate in the winter of 2019. I've worked at Gretna Children's library before and have four younger sisters, so I'm fairly familiar with Children's lit already, but I would love some exposure to genres I'm not as familiar with or that we maybe wouldn't have had for the kids at Gretna. Oh, and my favorite book is "A Court of Mist and Fury" by Sarah Mass or the new Saga graphic novels!

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 4 comments Hi everyone! My name is Rachel Armetta and I am studying Elementary Education with an endorsement in Early Childhood Inclusive. I am set to graduate Fall of 2019. In this class I hope to see all the different ways I can incorporate different books into a classroom setting and let the children know books are fun to read!

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Lee | 4 comments Hello everybody! My name is Rachel Lee and I am studying Early Childhood Education Inclusive! I just finished up my Sophomore year, and am so excited to graduate in May 2019. Through this course, I hope to gain a better understanding of children's literature so that my future classroom has a diverse selection of readings in which better encourage a child to learn to their maximum ability. I also hope to learn of more current literature that I've never read before that would be beneficial to the classroom I will one day work in.

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Marino | 4 comments I am Michelle! I am studying Elementary Special Education and I am in my Junior year. I hope to gain some knowledge about children's book so I can share these books and ideas with my future students.

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Smith | 4 comments Hello,
My name is Ashley Smith. I am a junior in the elementary education program. I am excited to meet you all and learn about literature in the classroom.

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Katrina wrote: "Hello all! My name is Katrina Jenkins and I am a Library Science major. I will be in my forth year this fall and I hope learn about the current trends in children's lit. I look forward to working w..."

Welcome, Katrina! I am excited to give you access to many of the current titles that are in demand in Children's Literature. I hope you get a lot out of this course!

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Katie wrote: "Hey guys! I'm Katie Siwa. I'm studying Elementary Education with an ESL endorsement and I am in my second year of college. I'm set to graduate in the spring of 2019. I would like to learn how to pi..."

Welcome, Katie! I love that you are wanting to learn how to include diverse literature in your future classroom. It is SOOOO important for children to see themselves reflected in what they're reading.

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Mackenzie wrote: "Hello my name is Mackenzie Wenck and I am an elementary education major with inclusive practices. This coming fall will be my 4th year at UNO and I am set to graduate Fall of 2019. I hope to gain a..."

Hi Mackenzie! You will love our week focusing on nonfiction. There are a variety of excellent resources for selecting high quality nonfiction books - I'm sure you will be amazed!

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michaela wrote: "Hello! My name's Michaela, I'm here looking for a Secondary English education and school library certification, although if you asked me which I liked better - teaching or librarian-ing, I really c..."

Hi Michaela! I am anxious to hear you apply your experiences from the Gretna Public Library to what we are talking about in class. I'm sure you'll have a lot to offer our conversations!

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Rachel wrote: "Hi everyone! My name is Rachel Armetta and I am studying Elementary Education with an endorsement in Early Childhood Inclusive. I am set to graduate Fall of 2019. In this class I hope to see all th..."

Welcome, Rachel! I hope to give you lots of ways to motivate and encourage reading in the classroom - and even some ways to allow children to discover a love of reading who have not realized how fun it is yet!

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Rachel wrote: "Hello everybody! My name is Rachel Lee and I am studying Early Childhood Education Inclusive! I just finished up my Sophomore year, and am so excited to graduate in May 2019. Through this course, I..."

Welcome, Rachel! I think you will love learning about the resources we have available to choose a variety of literature that fits a variety of ability levels, as well as interests. I hope you get a lot out of this course!

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle wrote: "I am Michelle! I am studying Elementary Special Education and I am in my Junior year. I hope to gain some knowledge about children's book so I can share these books and ideas with my future students."

Welcome, Michelle! I am prepared to give you LOTS of knowledge about children's books, so get ready! :) I hope you'll find some new favorites this month.

message 17: by Michelle (new)

Ashley wrote: "Hello,
My name is Ashley Smith. I am a junior in the elementary education program. I am excited to meet you all and learn about literature in the classroom."

Hi Ashley! I am excited to give you lots of strategies and resources to use to include high quality literature in the classroom. It's going to be a great course!