RMFAO (Reading My Frigging A** Off) discussion

RMFAO 2017 Genre Challenge > June - Non-Fiction

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) | 3163 comments Mod
June is Non-Fiction month.

Generally speaking, non-fiction tends to slip to the bottom of my TBR lists. I probably have in excess of thirty - one per day - ha, that's not going to happen.

One I recently checked out and will start first is The Bad-Ass Librarians of Timbuktu by Joshua Hammer. Another I want to get from the library is West with the Night by Beryl Markham. I have Cities of Gold by Douglas Preston on hold, but probably won't get it until near the end of the month.

An eBook which I am excited about is Kings, Queens and Pawns: An American Woman at the Front by Mary Roberts Rinehart. Yes, this is the writer of romances and light mysteries. She was also one of the first woman to cover trench warfare during WWI. See https://madamevauquer.wordpress.com/2... for an excerpt and links to the free eBook at Project Gutenberg and the free audio at LibriVox.

I'm not going to list the non-fiction on my TBR list, but I counted and there were twenty-seven.

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 1892 comments Mod
This will be a challenging month for me, too. I rarely read non-fiction. I guess I've had bad luck in the past, picking non-fiction books that were boring or badly written. I do want to expand my reading selections, so I am going to take part in the challenge.

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

I did spend a long time in my library's non-fiction section yesterday. I came up with this:
1.) Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain.

I just started it, but it's pretty good so far. Lots of humorous observations, and I like Bourdain's writing style.

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

I want to share a resource for finding non-fiction books:

https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

It was helpful to me, since I had a hard time even knowing where to get book suggestions.

message 5: by B. R. Kyle (new)

B. R. Kyle (Ambiguous Pieces)  | 55 comments I'll be trying to read a couple:
Whipping Girl: A Transsexual Woman on Sexism and the Scapegoating of Femininity
andThe Princess Diarist

Kings, Queens and Pawns: An American Woman at the Front by Mary Roberts Rinehart - That sounds like an interesting read, let me know how you go with it :)

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

B. R. wrote: "R&R Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: And Other Lessons from the Crematory, e-book format, 5 stars"

This is one I was thinking of reading, too. Your high rating encourages me to read it.

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

1.) Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain.

Finished it. 4 stars. Very entertaining, with alot of humor. (Warning: he can be a bit crude.)

message 9: by Dagny (new)

B. R. wrote: "Kings, Queens and Pawns: An American Woman at the Front by Mary Roberts Rinehart - That sounds like an interesting read, let me know how you go with it :) "

Will do, B. R. Haven't had a chance to get started on it yet.

message 10: by Cheryl (new)

2.) Pioneering on the Yukon, 1892-1917 by Anna DeGraf

Finished it. 4 stars. What an amazing pioneer woman! My review can be found here:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 11: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "2.) Pioneering on the Yukon, 1892-1917 by Anna DeGraf

Finished it. 4 stars. What an amazing pioneer woman! My review can be found here:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

That sounds like a great read.

message 12: by Cheryl (new)

Dagny wrote: "That sounds like a great read."

It was. I found the book by just wandering around my library's non-fiction section, randomly picking up books that might be interesting. It's like finding hidden treasure!

message 13: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: I found the book by just wandering around my library's non-fiction section, randomly picking up books that might be interesting. It's like fin..."

That's just what I did yesterday, Cheryl. I found Eleanor Roosevelt's My Day, but doubt I'll read right through it this month. It's more of a book for dipping into a few pages a day.

The one I found that I probably will read this month is West with the Night

message 14: by Cheryl (new)

Dagny wrote: " The one I found that I probably will read this month is West with the Night  ."

Another interesting one!

message 15: by B. R. Kyle (new)

B. R. Kyle (Ambiguous Pieces)  | 55 comments Cheryl wrote: "B. R. wrote: "R&R Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: And Other Lessons from the Crematory, e-book format, 5 stars"

This is one I was thinking of reading, too. Your high rating encourages me ..."

You definately should, it's also available on Audible if you prefer audio books or you're short on time

message 16: by Cheryl (new)

3.) In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

Finished it. 4 stars. It's true crime, but reads like a novel. A very compelling read that I could not put down. Highly recommended.

message 17: by Dagny (new)

The Bad-Ass Librarians of Timbuktu: And Their Race to Save the World’s Most Precious Manuscripts

Finished my first for the month. 3 stars, but not really recommended for anyone here. It had some good parts and is wonderful for all readers to contemplate, but so much of it is just the reporting of events and reads like a history textbook

message 18: by Cheryl (new)

Dagny wrote: " It had some good parts and is wonderful for all readers to contemplate, but so much of it is just the reporting of events and reads like a history textbook "

This is why I don't read alot of non-fiction. Often the actual writing fails to hold my interest. If I want to find out about an actual event, I can find simple facts online, in a more concise format.

message 19: by B. R. Kyle (new)

B. R. Kyle (Ambiguous Pieces)  | 55 comments Dagny wrote: "The Bad-Ass Librarians of Timbuktu: And Their Race to Save the World’s Most Precious Manuscripts

Finished my first for the month. 3 stars, but not really recommended for anyone her..."

that's a shame, it sounds really exciting by the title

message 20: by Dagny (new)

B. R. wrote: "that's a shame, it sounds really exciting by the title"

That's exactly what I thought! I was so excited to read it. I might even have enjoyed it more if I hadn't had such high expectations.

message 21: by Cheryl (new)

I just finished 4.) Ann Dvorak: Hollywood's Forgotten Rebel by Christina Rice.

Four stars. I really enjoyed this biography of 1930s Hollywood star Ann Dvorak. I'm a classic film fan and Dvorak is one of my favorite actresses from Classic Hollywood. The writing style of the book made me feel like I really got to know this actress. Recommended for classic film fans.

message 22: by Heena (new)

Heena Rathore Pardeshi (heenarathore) | 2134 comments Mod
OMG! I'm so late!!
Thanks a lot, Dagny, for setting up the thread!

I've just shifted to a new place and there a huge problem with the internet connectivity. We're trying to sort out the issue so I'll be back by the 15th or 20th for good.

Hope you all are enjoying your reads :)

message 23: by B. R. Kyle (new)

B. R. Kyle (Ambiguous Pieces)  | 55 comments Heena: that sounds a bit intense, not having internet is a pain, I hope it gets fixed soon

I have just finished reading: The Princess Diarist
Ebook format, 5 stars, I enjoyed it but there was a lot of introspection

message 24: by Dagny (new)

Finished my second for the month:
Run to Overcome: The Inspiring Story of an American Champion's Long-Distance Quest to Achieve a Big Dream
All runners will love this book. Other sports enthusiasts might enjoy it too. Inspiring.

message 25: by Dagny (new)

#3 for the month: Kings, Queens and Pawns: An American Woman at the Front by Mary Roberts Rinehart

message 26: by Cheryl (last edited Jun 16, 2017 02:09PM) (new)

5.) Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen. A memoir of a young woman's time as a patient at a psychiatric hopsital. It was the true life basis for the movie of the same title. 3 stars

message 27: by Cheryl (last edited Jun 18, 2017 01:32PM) (new)

6.) Thinking in Pictures: My Life with Autism by Temple Grandin.

I really liked this one. 4 stars. It helped me see what people with autism have to deal with to have "normal" lives. This book was another random pick from the library's non-fiction shelves.

This my last genre challenge book for this month, since I'll soon be travelling through the end of June. I'll join in next month's challenge when I get back.

message 28: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "6.) Thinking in Pictures: My Life with Autism by Temple Grandin.

I really liked this one. 4 stars. It helped me see what people with autism have to deal with to have "normal" lives. ..."

It does sound interesting, Cheryl, besides being informative.

Happy travels!

message 29: by Sha (last edited Jun 22, 2017 10:12PM) (new)

Sha Yeah so I turn out to really suck at reading nonfiction. T_T I tend to read random chapters of multiple books and then forget about them till I feel curious again.

I'll probably be back for next month's challenge.

All of these books look really interesting, though. //sighs at the size of the TBR list

message 30: by Dagny (new)

I'm not great with nonfiction books either, Sha. I had high hopes of getting through some of the backlog that I have accumulated over the years, but the progress isn't nearly as much as I had hoped.

message 31: by Dagny (new)

Finished my 4th for the month:
Cities of Gold by Douglas Preston

message 32: by Dagny (new)

My 5th and final for June:
Moondust In Search of the Men Who Fell to Earth by Andrew Smith

message 33: by Heena (new)

Heena Rathore Pardeshi (heenarathore) | 2134 comments Mod
Hi guys, here's the thread for July - Dystopian/Apocalyptic Fiction: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Happy Reading!