Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
This topic is about Storm Front
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Storm Front [July 2017]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (last edited May 31, 2017 09:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7204 comments Mod
Storm Front Start date July 10th.
description

message 2: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Niki Hawkes wrote: "Storm Front Start date July 10th."

Look at you all grown up and modding. :)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Thank you!

message 4: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote: "Storm Front Start date July 10th."

Look at you all grown up and modding. :)"

:D

message 5: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. wrote: "Thank you!"

You're welcome! :)

Dominic Bragg | 5 comments I have been reading the Codex Alera and was interested in getting into the Dresden Files. I have heard good thing about the Dresden Files but have not read them yet due to the fact I do not normally read urban fantasy.

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I haven't read any of his books yet, but I've heard good things. I'm more likely to pick up high fantasy, but some urban has been good so I'm hoping this is one of them.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Might join in for this one

message 9: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee (leeman729) | 828 comments Is this the first Dresden Book? I might actually join for this, too, although I'm in several buddy reads already haha.

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Thanks Niki I will definitely be in for this read I've had storm front in my shelf for over a year and it's been collecting dust even though I haven't read much urban fantasy I will definitely give this a go

message 11: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

It is the first one, and a great place to start if you haven't read much urban fantasy. :)

message 12: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liam, I think July is going to be a BR madhouse for us lol.

message 13: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angela | 3531 comments Mod
Enjoy this one. Such a great series.

message 14: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee (leeman729) | 828 comments More than likely, Niki, yes ;].

Trying to read Eye of the World and the Way of Kings in the same month is ambitious as it is haha =].

message 15: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Those two in the same month is ambitious, Liam!

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Liam wrote: "More than likely, Niki, yes ;].

Trying to read Eye of the World and the Way of Kings in the same month is ambitious as it is haha =]."

hahahaha its funny cause that's what I'm going to try and do its going to be interesting to read 2 giants of the genre along with an urban fantasy at the sidelines

Chris  (haughtc) | 1683 comments If anyone is thinking about listening to the audiobooks for these, I can attest that they are excellent..

message 18: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4606 comments Mod
Chris wrote: "If anyone is thinking about listening to the audiobooks for these, I can attest that they are excellent.."

I just got the audiobook since you recommended it and will join in on the buddy read. :)

Shaitarn | 1887 comments Hmm *eyes the unread Dresden books on the bookshelf* I think now is the time!

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Yeah I bought this book just last year and was one of the first books I bought at a bookstore and I never got to this but I had read coded alera so I guess it's time to wrap up unfinished business

message 21: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee (leeman729) | 828 comments Thanks for the audiobook recommendation, I wasn't sure about the quality, but I'll definitely go for that route if they are good quality!

message 22: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4606 comments Mod
So I totally cheated. When I said I got the audiobook, I read it then...and now I'm almost done the 3rd book...

message 23: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments You can still join in the discussion, Jenna. :)

Shaitarn | 1887 comments Finished Eye of the World, so I'm going to start this one a day early.

On a side note, I think the cover of my version is one of the worst I've ever seen (and almost stopped me picking it up originally).
Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) by Jim Butcher

message 25: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Yeah...not a fan of that cover either.

Shaitarn | 1887 comments C.P. wrote: "Yeah...not a fan of that cover either."

I think the U.S copies of these books seem to always have better covers than the UK ones. You lucky Americans!!

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments I've never seen that copy before I have a different on which is like the one up above but different colours and text and to be honest I do like that one better

To be honest that cover reminds me of those old detective novels as if they were in files or something no idea what the publishers were thinking

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments The cover that I have is:
Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) by Jim Butcher

Which, I think, is a little too generic.

Shaitarn | 1887 comments This book has delivered one of my favourites lines ever in urban fantasy:

(view spoiler)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments I'm going to start this tomorrow so I can get through the book I'm currently today since it isn't huge and I'm kind of thankful that storm front and the book I'm reading is long so that i can hopefully divert my attention to way of kings next week

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments I have to finish some of my other reads first, I'm in the middles of:

Mistborn: The Final Empire
The Eye of the World
Half a King
Celtic Legends: Heroes and Warriors, Myths and Monsters

I'm trying to read so fast right now my eyeballs are twitching!

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Good luck with that and I hope you enjoy mistborn and eye of the world there really good and while I wasn't a huge fan of half a king it's a pretty solid book so hope you like that and never heard of the last one

message 33: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I think I have the cover that's in the first comment. Or one like it. I like that one quite a bit.

I will probably be starting tomorrow. I only have two books going right now (and should finish one today) which feels kind of odd. Excited to get into this!

message 34: by Hacen (new) - added it

Hacen | 883 comments I'll be starting today!

message 35: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee (leeman729) | 828 comments I'm going to start this first thing tomorrow since I'm finishing up Eye of the World today =]. Anybody else get a start already?

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Nah I'm reading another book now and I know I won't finish it if I start storm front so I may start tomorrow since the book I'm reading isn't that long

message 37: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Hoping to read a little today, but it might be tomorrow for me as well.

Solseit | 1460 comments I am late in starting this book! It will be a second read for me but I cannot wait to return to Chicago to see Mr. Dresden.

Also, I found it peculiar that two mages in modern times are named Harry (by different authors). Does this imply that all the Harry in modern days are mages?

message 39: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I read the first two chapters last night. It seems interesting so far. I like Harry.

Nimrod Daniel (nimroddaniel) | 171 comments Enjoy! It's a nice start to a great series, that only gets better :)

message 41: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee (leeman729) | 828 comments I'm honestly not sure what chapter I'm on, because the audiobook is rather old, and the chapters aren't split up correctly I don't think haha. But It's an 8 hour book, and I listened to the first hour on my ride into work today. First impressions:

1. I'm actually surprised by how short this book is haha. I thought it would be bigger. It was kind of a relief, being that I just finished reading Eye of the World, which was a 30 hour book.

2. The setting was unexpected as well. It's rare that I go into a series knowing absolutely nothing about it, but I managed to literally learn nothing about this book before going into it haha. I had no clue it was such an urban setting (Chicago). It gives off a major murder mystery vibe, which I enjoy, and having Harry Dresden be a wizard adds a nice twist. I think I could really get into this.

3. Character development and plot development are both on point thus far.

Nimrod Daniel (nimroddaniel) | 171 comments Yeah, it's a very short book, the following book in the series a bit longer.

Butcher did great things in regard to world-building and characterization in this series. I plan on getting back to the series soon. I've read 7 books so far, so there's still a way to go :)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Started now and I have a bit of a confession since I got this book a year ago and I had only read 50 pages until I got distracted with other books and I've read the same 50 pages 3 times so hopefully now I've read enough and have motivation to see this through I will get through this book as I do like the style this book has while mixing some fantasy elements as well

message 44: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I've just finished chapter eight. Seems fairy interesting so far. And it is pretty short, which I like.

(view spoiler)

message 45: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Jul 11, 2017 01:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angela | 3531 comments Mod
C.P one of my favourite things about this series is the cast of characters.

message 46: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments They seem pretty cool so far.

Shaitarn | 1887 comments Getting through this one rapidly. I'm enjoying it so far.

(view spoiler)

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments Ahdam wrote: "Good luck with that and I hope you enjoy mistborn and eye of the world there really good and while I wasn't a huge fan of half a king it's a pretty solid book so hope you like that and never heard ..."

The last one isn't a fictional novel, it's actually a historical text about the Celtic people ☺

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments So, I started this last night, and I finished right before dinner today! I'll comment on the book when it's safe that most of you are finished! To many good points to put down in spoiler points

message 50: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Wow, you read that really quickly! I'm about 30% through right now. I could potentially finish tomorrow, but I'm thinking Thursday or Friday is more likely.

« previous 1