Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

JUNE - VILLAINS & ANTIHEROES > Let's talk villains & antiheroes

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
For our discussion on villains and antiheroes, I'm going to need to set the mood with a song first. :D

I'm so excited about this thread, you guys! I love a good villain. So tell me all about your favourite villains and antiheroes! Who are they? What makes a good villain/antihero?

My favourite villains are Moriarty from BBC's Sherlock and The Master from Doctor Who (as played by John Simm). They're both so psychotically happy - I don't know how else to describe it. They're both brilliant, but also a little nutso, and that makes them very unpredictable and dangerous. (Also, a little bit funny. I mean, they're amazing on screen.)

I also really enjoyed Luke Evans's performance of Gaston in the new Beauty and the Beast movie, and I can't forget about Tom Hiddleston's Loki. ;)

As for literary villains and antiheroes, I'm thinking of:
- Luke Castellan (The Lightning Thief)
- Kaz Brekker (Six of Crows)
- Lord Ruler (The Final Empire)
- President Snow (The Hunger Games)
- FUCKING UMBRIDGE (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix)
- Victor (Vicious)
- Holland (A Darker Shade of Magic)
- The Darkling (Shadow and Bone)
- Darren (First Year)

Feel free to ask any questions of your own, too. ♥

message 2: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 239 comments Mod
Inge wrote: "For our discussion on villains and antiheroes, I'm going to need to set the mood with a song first. :D."
Can I just say that I love your post Inge! That song actually really did set the mood :)
I have to say I used to not like the villains at all but have been starting to go to the "dark" side you could say and have started to appreciate them a lot more.

My favorite villain/antihero in the movie/tv world are:
Bellatrix Lestrange in Harry Potter (I absolutely love Helena Bonham Carter and cannot get enough of her and her movies)
Regina/The Evil Queen in Once Upon a Time (Lana Parrilla has me cheering for the evil queen before she started to show her good side)
(Oh and totally yes to Loki, Inge! He is really good in the movies!)

Literary Villains/Antiheroes are:
- Snape (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone)
- Kaz Brekker (Six of Crows)
- Prince Magnus (Falling Kingdoms)
- Sevro (Red Rising)
- Warner (Shatter Me)
- Elphaba (Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West)

And there are probably much more that I can't think of right now.

message 3: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) I love the song!! It's on my running playlist now.
My favorite antihero is Magneto (X-men)! I love love love him (and it might have something to do with the fact, that Magneto plays Michael Fassbender who is the best and the most handsome actor ever)

message 4: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 52 comments My favourite villains and antiheroes:

Cersei and Jaime Lannister (Game of Thrones/ASOIAF)
Sandor 'The Hound' Clegane (Game of Thrones/ASOIAF)
Carrie (Carrie)
Regina (Once Upon a Time)
Zuko (Avatar: The Last Airbender (the cartoon series, of course, not that abomination of which we do not speak about))
Mystique (X-Men (although not so much JLaw's incarnation. I felt they took away a lot of what makes Mystique herself))
Basically everyone from Sons of Anarchy.
I have a LOT more but if I list them all I will be here all day (antiheroes and villains are usually my favourites!).

message 5: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) i was thinking and i am not sure if i understand the difference between villain and antihero..
is villain only a bad person (f.e. Voldemort, President Snow (hunger games)) and antihero is bad but he does good things (Draco Malfoy, Kaz Brekker)??

message 6: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
For me, an antihero isn't evil, but has less-than-ideal morals. If that makes sense. ^_^

message 7: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 323 comments I think Owl may fit the less-than-ideal moral category, so I'm reading Owl and the Electric Samurai (Adventures of Owl, #3) by Kristi Charish

message 8: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 239 comments Mod
Inge wrote: "For me, an antihero isn't evil, but has less-than-ideal morals. If that makes sense. ^_^"

Inge, thats a perfect description! I always have trouble explaining an antihero.