Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
Time to announce the verdict. How did you rate your books this month? Were they good bad or bad bad? Post a link to your review in this thread.
Please add the title of the book you've reviewed to the post.

message 2: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

I've just finished Fairest, the origin story of Queen Levana from the Lunar Chronicles. I didn't have much to say in my review, so I simply gave it four stars and wrote, "Bitches be crazy."

message 3: by Cathy (new)

Cathy I finished Here Lies Daniel Tate by Cristin Terrill yesterday and you can find my review here. I went up and down a few times while reading it, but really enjoyed it in the end!

Fake-Daniel is a great antihero!

message 4: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) Inge wrote: "I've just finished Fairest, the origin story of Queen Levana from the Lunar Chronicles. I didn't have much to say in my review, so I simply gave it four stars and wrote, "Bitches be..."

Haha, short and to the point

message 5: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Cathy wrote: "I finished Here Lies Daniel Tate by Cristin Terrill yesterday and you can find my review here. I went up and down a few times while reading it, but really enjoyed it in the end!

Fake-Daniel is a ..."

I'm reading this right now! Should be able to finish it either today or tomorrow, then I'll come back and read your review.

lucie wrote: "Inge wrote: "I've just finished Fairest, the origin story of Queen Levana from the Lunar Chronicles. I didn't have much to say in my review, so I simply gave it four stars and wrote..."

Haha yeah, I didn't think it needed much more. :D

message 6: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

I've just finished Here Lies Daniel Tate and ended up giving it 4.5 stars! It was so messed up and so so good.

message 7: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge wrote: "I've just finished Here Lies Daniel Tate and ended up giving it 4.5 stars! It was so messed up and so so good."

You know what, I haven't given a proper 5-star rating in a really long time. Bumping this up to 5 because I'm feeling generous today.

message 8: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) I just finished Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and you can find my something similar to a review here

message 9: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) Cathy wrote: "I finished Here Lies Daniel Tate by Cristin Terrill yesterday and you can find my review here. I went up and down a few times while reading it, but really enjoyed it in the end!

Fake-Daniel is a ..."

Inge wrote: "I've just finished Here Lies Daniel Tate and ended up giving it 4.5 stars! It was so messed up and so so good."

I added the book to my tbr list!

message 10: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Great, Lucie! And Goblet of Fire is the perfect read :D

message 11: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) Inge wrote: "Great, Lucie! And Goblet of Fire is the perfect read :D"

I am ready for Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix!!! I dont remember much what happend in this book, so it'll be like for the first time!

message 12: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

I'm reading it right now! That's so cool that you get to read it as though for the first time - I think many of us wish we could do that, so we can discover everything all over again! But I like this way too, I've read it multiple times so it feels very comfortable and familiar.

message 13: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Inge wrote: "Inge wrote: "I've just finished Here Lies Daniel Tate and ended up giving it 4.5 stars! It was so messed up and so so good."

You know what, I haven't given a proper 5-star rating i..."

Hahaha excellent decision! It was such an entertaining book, and I love how we never actually learn fake-Daniel's name. That's so tragic, bittersweet and brilliant all at the same time.

message 14: by WhatIReallyRead (new)

WhatIReallyRead I've finished "Winter" from Lunar Chronicles, and my review is here. It's actually a pretty good read for this theme, Levana finally made sense to me!

message 15: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 239 comments Mod
Just finished Illuminae and definitely a 5 star book for me. I listened to the audio-book and it was awesome! A whole cast to read the book made it really really good. The villain wasn't really made clear until the absolute end but the anti-hero to me really was Aidan. (don't want to talk to much more to give away some of the story.)
My review is here.

message 16: by Ella (new)

Ella (novellyella) Cathy wrote: "I finished Here Lies Daniel Tate by Cristin Terrill yesterday and you can find my review here. I went up and down a few times while reading it, but really enjoyed it in the end!

Fake-Daniel is a ..."

I want to read this so badly!! Inge, I think you loved this one, diddn't you?

message 17: by Ella (new)

Ella (novellyella) Arika wrote: "Just finished Illuminae and definitely a 5 star book for me. I listened to the audio-book and it was awesome! A whole cast to read the book made it really really good. The villain w..."

OMG I LOVE AIDAN SO MUCH. What an anti-hero! Definitely one of my favs :D

message 18: by Ella (new)

Ella (novellyella) WhatIReallyRead wrote: "I've finished "Winter" from Lunar Chronicles, and my review is here. It's actually a pretty good read for this theme, Levana finally made sense to me!"

Glad to hear that, Anna! Winter has been on my TBR for so long, I really need to get on and read it!

message 19: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) Just finished Royal Bastards and you can find my my 'review' here.
Zell's brother is a perfect example of villain!

message 20: by WhatIReallyRead (new)

WhatIReallyRead I've finally reviewed Hunted, which I've finished almost a week ago. It's actually a perfect read for this theme (Beast is definitely an anti-hero), and I enjoyed it immensely! Me review is here.

message 21: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Ella wrote: "Cathy wrote: "I finished Here Lies Daniel Tate by Cristin Terrill yesterday and you can find my review here. I went up and down a few times while reading it, but really enjoyed it in the end!

Fak..."

I did love it!

WhatIReallyRead wrote: "I've finally reviewed Hunted, which I've finished almost a week ago. It's actually a perfect read for this theme (Beast is definitely an anti-hero), and I enjoyed it immensely! Me r..."

Yessss! ♥

WhatIReallyRead wrote: "I've finished "Winter" from Lunar Chronicles, and my review is here. It's actually a pretty good read for this theme, Levana finally made sense to me!"

I'm actually really glad you ended up liking it! I do agree it was a very long book, and if you weren't into the first couple books it can be a big slog. But Levana is a great villain.

message 22: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

I also finished my re-read of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, which concludes my reading for this wonderful villain-y theme. I'm keeping my rating of five stars because it deserves nothing less, and you can find my "review" (aka a gif summarising my feelings for Umbridge) here.

message 23: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) Inge wrote: "I also finished my re-read of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, which concludes my reading for this wonderful villain-y theme. I'm keeping my rating of five stars because it..."

I hope I will be able to finish it this month but I have a hard time to get into this book :( I dont like Harry's bevhaviour and how he treats with his friends..
I still have 500 pages to read but I am not giving up!

message 24: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

lucie wrote: "Inge wrote: "I also finished my re-read of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, which concludes my reading for this wonderful villain-y theme. I'm keeping my rating of five sta..."

You can do it! Harry is going through a rough time and he's taking it out on his friends. Obviously not the most pleasant to read, but you will understand in time. :)

message 25: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) Inge wrote: "lucie wrote: "Inge wrote: "I also finished my re-read of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, which concludes my reading for this wonderful villain-y theme. I'm keeping my rati..."

I understand that he is under pressure, no one believes him and almost everybody thinks he killed Cedric, but Ron and Hermione were always there for him and they dont deserve this kind of treatment. At least they are reasonable..

I'll go to read to the lake later today and I am taking Harry with me!

message 26: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

lucie wrote: "Inge wrote: "lucie wrote: "Inge wrote: "I also finished my re-read of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, which concludes my reading for this wonderful villain-y theme. I'm ke..."

Agreed. And I like that Hermione points that out as well, when Harry lashes out at them one too many times. She's supportive, but puts him in his place too. Happy reading!

message 27: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Sadly this month's theme hasn't been the greatest for me, but I'm glad everyone else have had such a blast reading about these tricky villains. However, I did discover an amazing Harry Potter Podcast called "Harry Potter and the Sacred Text", so in that way I did get to meet a good villain: Voldemort/Tom Riddle is one of the best bad guys around!

message 28: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
However, I did read We Have Always Lived in the Castle and I'm pretty sure that Merricat falls into the category of an anti-hero; a socially disturbed one that is, but that what makes her interesting. :)

You can read my review here.

message 29: by Alessandra (new)

Alessandra Crivelli (brunettegirl27) | 102 comments I still haven't written a real review on the blog but here are the link to my GR reviews.

A Darker Shade of Magic
A Gathering of Shadows

message 30: by lucie (last edited Jun 30, 2017 09:39AM) (new)

lucie (arey) I finished Caraval and my review is here

message 31: by Inge, Mad Hatter (last edited Jun 30, 2017 11:51AM) (new)

Puck wrote: "Sadly this month's theme hasn't been the greatest for me, but I'm glad everyone else have had such a blast reading about these tricky villains. However, I did discover an amazing Harry Potter Podca..."

I hope next month is a better theme for you, Puck! What's the podcast about?

Alessandra wrote: "I still haven't written a real review on the blog but here are the link to my GR reviews.

A Darker Shade of Magic
A Gathering of Shadows "

I'm so glad you're enjoying this series! It's a very strong series overall, though I agree that the second one is probably the weakest. But the finale is super intense, you'll love it!

lucie wrote: "I finished Caraval and my review is here"

I think I probably felt the same way about Caraval, though I did go in with high expectations, which is why my rating is lower than yours. I loved the idea, but the overall execution was kind of meh.

message 32: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) Inge wrote: "I think I probably felt the same way about Caraval, though I did go in with high expectations, which is why my rating is lower than yours. I loved the idea, but the overall execution was kind of meh."

I wanted to give it 2 stars but I hated so many book lately.. And I totally agree with you. Where was the magic??

message 33: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) I finished Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (with a little delay) and you can write my review here

message 34: by Saskia (new)

Saskia (saskia2088) | 7 comments Sorry I am a bit late to the party but I had some stuff on my mind last month. I read Vicious by V.E. Schwab. Inge recommended it to me so I bought it ^^ At first I was not so taken by it but that comes from the fact that you are thrown into the story and it comes together like a puzzle. You jump through different times so it comes together very slowly. Still I liked it very much. It is not good vs bad it is bad vs worse which is a very clever concept. Overall a read that I enjoyed alot and I am looking forward to the next book.