Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

JUNE - VILLAINS & ANTIHEROES > What are you reading?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
You've asked for villains. Oh, you're getting villains.

I honestly love this topic so much, and all of us are very excited for this month's theme! As you may know, we love our villains here at Of Wonderland, so we're excited to get started.

My reading list consists of:
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (reread) - I MEAN, it doesn't get much more disgusting than Umbridge, does it?
- Fairest - the origin story of Queen Levana
- Here Lies Daniel Tate - this sounds so good!

Your book of choice falls under this theme as long as there's a prominent villain (or antihero). This doesn't have to be a fantasy novel with epic battles - contemporary heroes can just as easily have antagonists.

Have a think, get mischievous, and let us know which villainous books you'll be reading!

message 2: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 52 comments I'm currently reading It. I actually started it ages ago but it's a very long book and it fits this category perfectly as I'm sure we can all agree that Pennywise is a great and iconic villain.

message 3: by Ella (new)

Ella (novellyella) I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS BOOK PROMPT GUYS!!!! I mean it's VILLAINS AND ANTI-HEROES. Omggggg, be still my heart!!

I'm determined to read ALL THE VILLAINOUS BOOKS this month and so my hopeful TBR is as following:

- Six of Crows & Crooked Kingdom! I'm rereading Six of Crows and then FINALLY READING CROOKED KINGDOM!!! I've put it off for so long but I'm determined to actually read it this month!
- And I Darken! This is another reread but the second book in the trilogy comes out in July and I want to refresh my memory! This book is soooooo good so I'm really looking forward to jumping back into the world!
- The Lies of Locke Lamora!! I've heard so many good things about this book that I'm so excited to read it!
- Winning! This looks a goody! Also I felt like my villainous TBR needed some contemporary in among all that fantasy! :P
- Vicious! Another reread! But only if I get through all of the above books AND all the other books I need to read this month! Fingers crossed...

What are you reading? :)

message 4: by Natulcien_reads (last edited Jun 01, 2017 01:41PM) (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments I'm actually in the middle of listening to the wonderful audiobook of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and the way Stephen Fry does the voice of Umbridge has made me hate her even more!
I'm not sure what else I'll be reading for this theme. If you'd like to take a look at my TBR and tell me which book would suit the theme that would be greatly appreciated. You can find my TBR here.

message 5: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) This month I would like to read Vicious and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

message 6: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor (ontheothersideofreality) | 183 comments I'll be binging the Barnaby Grimes series (Curse of the Night Wolf, Return of the Emerald Skull, and Legion of the Dead) for this month's theme! If I'm able to get to it, I might read The Thief Who Pulled on Trouble's Braids as well.

message 7: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Natulcien wrote: "I'm actually in the middle of listening to the wonderful audiobook of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and the way Stephen Fry does the voice of Umbridge has made me hate her even..."

Plenty of books that fit the theme, I would go with The Well of Ascension!

lucie wrote: "This month I would like to read Vicious and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix"

A++ book choice!

message 8: by K. (new)

K. (keiiksm) | 21 comments I think I'll read The Wrath and the Dawn. I don't know much about this book, but what I gathered from reviews and the word 'the young man behind the monster everyone sees' seem to fit the theme!

Also I'm considering whether to continue the Percy Jackson series this month, just for Luke you know? ;-)

message 9: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

whaticereads wrote: "I think I'll read The Wrath and the Dawn. I don't know much about this book, but what I gathered from reviews and the word 'the young man behind the monster everyone sees' seem to f..."

Yes please read all about Luke.

message 10: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) whaticereads wrote: "I think I'll read The Wrath and the Dawn. I don't know much about this book, but what I gathered from reviews and the word 'the young man behind the monster everyone sees' seem to f..."

PERCY! PERCY!

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 13 comments I am reading Dead Man's Blues and The Girl From The Savoy

So far I'm loving Dead Man's Blues

message 12: by WhatIReallyRead (new)

WhatIReallyRead Actually I own several books out of the "recommendations" topic. These are Six of Crows, The Lies of Locke Lamora, And I Darken, First Year. But all of these are the first books in series. I don't think I'm ready to commit to a series, so I'm still undecided as to what to pick up this month.

message 13: by Aly (new)

Aly (In Wonderland) (alysbookishwonderland) | 21 comments HI ONE AND ALL!

Here's my mad, totally out of control and very far fetched TBR for this month!

Nevernight by Jay Kristoff (reread on Audible)
Now I Rise by Kiersten White (over halfway through already and I am in love)
Red Sister by Mark Lawrence (most likely on Audible)
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch!

message 14: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Hmmm, I'm not sure yet what I'll read for this month's theme, although I have Everything I Never Told You in mind. From what I gather from the reviews, this family is quite toxic to each other or better said, putting a lot of negative pressure on each other. So I guess that can be seen as evil...? Can one of you give me some advice?

message 15: by Cathy (new)

Cathy I've just started Here Lies Daniel Tate, and I'm going to try and read Vicious by V.E. Schwab this month as well!

I'm more into anti-heroes than actual villains myself (Umbridge would not survive if I ever got my hands on her) but it's a fun theme!

message 16: by WhatIReallyRead (new)

WhatIReallyRead I decided to finish The Lunar Chronicles by reading Winter this month (the villain being Queen Levana). I wasn't a fan of the previous books, but after spending so much time reading them, I feel bad abandoning the series unfinished.
If I have time, I'll read Six of Crows, too.

message 17: by Evelien (new)

Evelien | 28 comments I'm afraid I'll have to sit this one out. I currently have exams, which leaves little to no time for reading.
Not that I really mind, I don't think the theme suits me that well at this moment ^^

message 18: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments Evelien wrote: "I'm afraid I'll have to sit this one out. I currently have exams, which leaves little to no time for reading.
Not that I really mind, I don't think the theme suits me that well at this moment ^^"

Good luck with your exams :-)

message 19: by WhatIReallyRead (new)

WhatIReallyRead I've finished Winter, and am currently reading Hunted, which, as it turns out, fits the theme perfectly! Beast is a great anti-hero, and so far he is a very well-developed character. Hopefully I'll end up loving this book.

Also, it is now clear to me I will not be able to fit Six of Crows into this month.

message 20: by Ella (new)

Ella (novellyella) lucie wrote: "This month I would like to read Vicious and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix"

Vicious is so good! I'm about to start it myself!

message 21: by Alessandra (new)

Alessandra Crivelli (brunettegirl27) | 102 comments I am reading A DARKER SHADES OF MAGIC and I am loving this so much! I didn't like a series that much since I don't know. A LOT!

message 22: by Ella (new)

Ella (novellyella) Finished SIX OF CROWS last night and started CROOKED KINGDOM today! Both are so good! THE FEELS THOUGH. >_<

message 23: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) Ella wrote: "Finished SIX OF CROWS last night and started CROOKED KINGDOM today! Both are so good! THE FEELS THOUGH. >_<"

Crooked kingdom is so good, omg!

message 24: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 239 comments Mod
Ella wrote: "Finished SIX OF CROWS last night and started CROOKED KINGDOM today! Both are so good! THE FEELS THOUGH. >_<"

Yes! Such a good duology! I miss those characters so much!

message 25: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 239 comments Mod
I have one more book (maybe two) that I'm trying to read before the end of the month. July Thunder, this is the third book in a series but first book told in the main characters viewpoint. Really good premise to it and the mc, Violet, is definitely seen as an anti-hero.

message 26: by Alessandra (new)

Alessandra Crivelli (brunettegirl27) | 102 comments Alessandra wrote: "I am reading A DARKER SHADES OF MAGIC and I am loving this so much! I didn't like a series that much since I don't know. A LOT!"

No, kidding. Now I am reading AGOS!

message 27: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

You guys are reading such great books! ♥

message 28: by Saskia (new)

Saskia (saskia2088) | 7 comments I am reading Vicious, because Inge recommended it, and so far I like it very much!

message 29: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Saskia wrote: "I am reading Vicious, because Inge recommended it, and so far I like it very much!"

Yeah baby :D