Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

The Woman in Cabin 10
This topic is about The Woman in Cabin 10
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2017 archive > June Group Read Discussion – The Woman in Cabin 10

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sara | 1508 comments Here we can discuss our group read for the month: The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware.

Please use spoiler tags if you are sharing any plot related surprises.

Posts should be exclusively about this book.

When you've finished, be sure to post in the June challenge: I finished! thread.

Nadine Jones | 5351 comments Mod
The thing that bugged me most about this book (and there were a lot! ) was that (view spoiler)

message 3: by Sara (last edited May 31, 2017 11:00AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sara | 1508 comments Nadine wrote: "The thing that bugged me most about this book (and there were a lot! ) was that [spoilers removed]"

I agree 100%! It bothered me the entire book waiting for (view spoiler)

Rachel Benoit (theliteraryluminary) Nadine wrote: "The thing that bugged me most about this book (and there were a lot! ) was that [spoilers removed]"

I may have assumed too much, but I thought it was implied that (view spoiler) That being said, that was never confirmed, and I thought it would be at some point.

Rachel Benoit (theliteraryluminary) I started this book last week and zoomed through it faster than I thought it would. I tend to like thriller/suspense novels, so I thought this was enjoyable, but I also didn't think there was anything original about it.

My biggest issue is with Lo being a lush. I just feel like it's a lazy way to add to the suspense. Of course nobody believes her if she's constantly drunk. (This was an issue I also had with The Girl On The Train.) Lo is also kind of an annoying character. One of the reasons I love Big Little Lies is because it's a suspense novel in which I actually love the characters! Why is this such a difficult concept?!

Christine McCann | 449 comments It's my first read along and I'm excited! My library hold came through on June 1st- kismet! Now to read away this cough and cold I have ...

Rachel wrote: "Nadine wrote: "The thing that bugged me most about this book (and there were a lot! ) was that [spoilers removed]"

I may have assumed too much, but I thought it was implied that [spoilers removed]..."

I suppose that's possible, but it certainly never occurred to me while I was reading. I can't remember now, (view spoiler)

That's funny, I loved Rachel (was it Rachel?) in Girl on the Train, I thought she felt really real, but Lo was just a two-dimensional character doing stuff because it would move the plot along. (I also loved Big Little Lies! but I would not put that one in the same category as these - it's not really a "suspense thriller" in my mind. It's more like ... I don't know ... really good chick lit with a mystery?)

I also really didn't like Lo's name. Is that a common nickname for Laura?

Giulia | 39 comments Rachel wrote: "I started this book last week and zoomed through it faster than I thought it would. I tend to like thriller/suspense novels, so I thought this was enjoyable, but I also didn't think there was anything original about it"

I completely agree. It was like a mix between The Girl on the Train and The Lady Vanishes.
I also agree that Lo wasn't very well written or likeable.

Everything considered, it wasn't a bad thriller but I expected more.

message 9: by AF (new) - rated it 5 stars

AF | 319 comments Rachel wrote: "Nadine wrote: "The thing that bugged me most about this book (and there were a lot! ) was that [spoilers removed]"

I may have assumed too much, but I thought it was implied that [spoilers removed]..."

This is what I assumed as well. It kept her (view spoiler)

Christine McCann | 449 comments Well I read the whole thing yesterday - even with some flaws, that's a pretty big endorsement! All in all, 3.5 stars from me.

(view spoiler)

Rachel Harper | 10 comments I cared more about the fate of her boots than anything else in this book. I feel horrible for feeing that way, but I just didn't like anyone.

Rachel wrote: "I cared more about the fate of her boots than anything else in this book. I feel horrible for feeing that way, but I just didn't like anyone."

LOL!

Addie Dehart | 36 comments Rachel wrote: "Nadine wrote: "The thing that bugged me most about this book (and there were a lot! ) was that [spoilers removed]"

That's what I assumed too.

Addie Dehart | 36 comments I don't think this was necessarily the best written book or most original but I really liked it. I found Lo to be a very believable character and I really rooted for her. I think its unrealistic to expect a normal woman who isn't usually in intense situations to make great decisions. Combine that with the trauma at the beginning of the book and her anxiety her actions make sense. Her flaws and lack of perfection made me root for her even more.

Addie Dehart | 36 comments Unauthorized Cinnamon wrote: "Well I read the whole thing yesterday - even with some flaws, that's a pretty big endorsement! All in all, 3.5 stars from me.

I agree that Lo made some boneheaded decisions, and utterly failed t..."

Yes I would hated if at the end of the story Lo somehow turned out to be superwoman. It would have ruined the story I think.

Rachel Benoit (theliteraryluminary) Unauthorized Cinnamon wrote: "Well I read the whole thing yesterday - even with some flaws, that's a pretty big endorsement! All in all, 3.5 stars from me.

I agree that Lo made some boneheaded decisions, and utterly failed t..."

Yes, the mental illness issues were interesting! I suffer from chronic anxiety and depression and have been on medication for most of my life. I do think that many of her tendencies were depicted accurately. The only thing I didn't like was that everyone judged her for being medicated. Haven't we moved past that mentality??? Maybe it's because I live in the U.S., but I'd say 75% of the time I tell someone that I'm on anxiety medication, they respond with, "Me too."

Megan (mghrt06) | 537 comments I liked it - maybe because I was reading it while on a cruise ship so that helped set the tone for me. I read it rather quickly too.

(view spoiler)

message 18: by Deb (new) - rated it 3 stars

Deb | 45 comments Confession....I was dreading this read. I really didn't like the MC's of Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train, and I had heard so much comparison of those books to The Woman in Cabin 10. I actually liked this one better.

I like the theories expressed here and liked the news articles, letters, etc. as well.

I was somewhat surprised by (view spoiler) All in all, I liked it much better than I anticipated.

Megan (mghrt06) | 537 comments Deb wrote: "Confession....I was dreading this read. I really didn't like the MC's of Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train, and I had heard so much comparison of those books to [b..."

(view spoiler)

Rachel Benoit (theliteraryluminary) Deb wrote: "Confession....I was dreading this read. I really didn't like the MC's of Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train, and I had heard so much comparison of those books to [b..."

I agree with this! The ending seemed totally out of character for Carrie...like she had actually been in control of the situation the whole time.

Kathy I liked this book and the character of Lo. The depiction of a person who suffers anxiety and panic attacks were well-written. I was rooting for her all the way.

message 22: by Tara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tara Bates | 1008 comments :( this still hasn't come in from my library so I doubt I'll get it for this month. Boo!

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 617 comments I enjoyed the book, but I didn't find it as compelling as The Girl on the Train. I found the characters more one-dimensional, and I thought Laura was a pretty terrible journalist. I enjoyed the plot and especially in the second half where we found out what was really going on, but I found this book a lot less compelling than I had hoped.

Theresa | 1582 comments I really enjoyed this one, and found that it not only delivered in the promise shown by the author in her first book, but actually improved on weaknesses (far better character depictions) and took her strengths (manipulating traditional mystery settings) to new levels - i.e. setting a traditional 'locked room' murder mystery on a luxury charter cruise with a dash of thriller thrown in just to shake things up.

I did find the ending precipitous, and a bit unwieldy. I think some of that stems from the author's relative inexperience in her craft.

Holly I thoroughly enjoyed this book and read it in just four days. Because of the conversational language, I thought it was going to be just another chick lit with a whodunnit token gesture, but it actually was a real page turner.

The only reason I've given it 4 ☆ instead of 5 is because of the end. I can't go into detail, because I don't want to spoil it, but I hope those have read it understand what I mean.

Anyway, a great book. Highly recommended!!

message 26: by Lily (last edited Jun 26, 2017 02:07PM) (new)

Lily (joy1) | 61 comments Addie wrote: "...I think its unrealistic to expect a normal woman who isn't usually in intense situations to make great decisions...."

Did you really say this, Addie? Life only too often throws normal people into intense situations where they must make critical decisions. Isn't it belittling of women to suggest they can't or won't? And, yes, certainly it can be a stretch for many, especially under stressful circumstances, and many (of us) will fall short. But, still, just my gut reaction to what you wrote...

Lily wrote: "Addie wrote: "...I think its unrealistic to expect a normal woman who isn't usually in intense situations to make great decisions...."

Did you really say this, Addie? Life only too often throws no..."

I agree with Addie. Regular people often freeze when faced with the extraordinary, if they aren't used to it. I don't think that's belittling. Yes, sometimes regular people make amazing decisions in extraordinary situations, it does happen, but they make movies about it when it happens because it is unusual. There is no shame in not always knowing what to do in an unusual situation.

(And I don't think Addie meant this only happens to women; I think she was referring to Lo, who is a woman, thus "women." But I should let her speak for herself as to what she meant.)

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I found myself rather enjoying Ruth Ware's The Woman in Cabin 10.

The story was able to keep me guessing almost the entire time. (view spoiler) It was a gripping story filled to the brim with suspense and a foreboding atmosphere. Everything described through Lo's point of view felt claustrophobic and paranoid, as I would be too if I were in her place. It would be difficult not seeing every shadow as menacing. I also loved that conversation the narration elicited about feminism, victim blaming, stipulations surrounding mental health, alcoholism, prescription medication, and trying to find ways to cope with trauma. I loved the contrast in what most would consider a beautiful setting, a stunning and luxurious cruise ship traveling around the breathtaking Norwegian fjords, pitted against the fear and anxiety-laden mind of Lo, scrambling to discover what is going on. Everything becomes eerie and unusual through her eyes, and I absolutely loved it.

The only slightly annoying factor of the book is that the main character could be unlikeable at times. She was often rude to workers and other passengers, making decisions she already were bad ideas, and at times being too loud about her suspicions, putting a target on her back. You can hardly blame her though, as she has experienced a traumatic situation and is human. So I won't let that take away too much from my overall experience of the book.

I would say this book is ideal for those who enjoy suspense, a sizeable dose of danger, and intriguing plot and dialogue. I will be interested in seeking out other books written by Ruth Ware.

4 out of 5 stars.

message 29: by Mike (last edited Jun 29, 2017 09:13AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mike | 443 comments I wasn't a fan for many of the same reasons mentioned by other non-fans above. One thing that bugged me that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

(view spoiler)

Also, for supposedly being a journalist, she had no idea how to investigate, and didn't know how to keep her mouth shut. No wonder that promotion always eluded her.

Brooke | 272 comments I didn't like the main character in this one, so because a good chunk of the book is her thoughts as she tries to solve the mystery, so to speak, it wasn't as enjoyable to read. I also thought it started a bit slow. It took about 25% of the book before I was truly hooked.

Maybe some of my disappointment is because I read In a Dark, Dark Wood right before this one. And it was faster paced and more enjoyable to read, in my opinion.

Mike wrote: "I wasn't a fan for many of the same reasons mentioned by other non-fans above. One thing that bugged me that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

[spoilers removed]

Also, for supposedly being a journal..."

Yeah I couldn't stand what a crap journalist she was, especially with all her belly aching about wanting a promotion.

And that message was solely a plot device, just like many other things in that book. If it didnt happen, we have no book. Very little of the action felt "organic" - the author was constantly moving the game pieces around to keep the book going.

message 32: by Mike (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mike | 443 comments Nadine wrote: "And that message was solely a plot device, just like many other things in that book. If it didnt happen, we have no book. Very little of the action felt "organic" - the author was constantly moving the game pieces around to keep the book going. "

Maybe it's just me, but if an author has to rely on implausible plot devices or a character's stupidity to keep the book moving along, perhaps that means the book doesn't need to be written?

Larissa Langsather (langsather) | 100 comments I really liked this book. So scary!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.