Bookworms Anonymous discussion

BOTM Archives > Gone Girl

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (last edited May 31, 2017 08:11AM) (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Follow the discussion here!

message 2: by Makay (new)

Makay  | 6 comments I hear that's a really good book would love to know if it's as good as everyone says

I may pick it up and read it :)

Happy reading

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Queenmic, I have not started to read this book. However, I believe it one of these books you either love or hate.

message 4: by Makay (new)

Makay  | 6 comments That's what I figured when you do read it let me know :)

message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) I will - Queenmic.

message 6: by Jeff (new)

Jeff I finished it today, gave it 4 stars. Not sure what sort of discussion everyone is interested in.

message 7: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Jeff wrote: "I finished it today, gave it 4 stars. Not sure what sort of discussion everyone is interested in."

Finely got my got of this book yesterday. I have not started to read it. However, can you answer Queenmic questions. Is Gone Girl worth reading?

message 8: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) What are your first impressions of Nick?

message 9: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Jenny wrote: "Jeff wrote: "I finished it today, gave it 4 stars. Not sure what sort of discussion everyone is interested in."

Finely got my got of this book yesterday. I have not started to read it. However, ca..."

I liked it and it was a compelling read. I am not a fan of any of the characters per se - I would be happy never knowing them in person (well, the twin sister, maybe), but I did want to see how it all panned out.

The author is really good prodding you along and thinking left when it is actually right. It also did a lot of 'what else could "complicate" this' (translated that to a disney version of the phrase I wanted to use).

Just over 400 pages, and a fast read. I think its worth the time.

message 10: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Jenny wrote: "What are your first impressions of Nick?"

Jenny wrote: "What are your first impressions of Nick?"
SPOILERS
(let me know if I didn't handle this notification correctly)

As I alluded to in another post, I didn't really like him. He seemed affable enough (I wouldn't snub him in a hallway or anything), and I sympathized with his situation (lost job, legal entanglements, feeling of dread of what really happened). I wasn't really convinced of his guilt. He did always come across as dodgy, and as the story unfolded you understand why.

I want to talk more about him, but am afraid of spoiling the story for you. :)

message 11: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Jeff wrote: "Jenny wrote: "What are your first impressions of Nick?"

Jenny wrote: "What are your first impressions of Nick?"
SPOILERS
(let me know if I didn't handle this notification correctly)

As I alluded..."

I half way through the book and I do not like Nick at all. To me, he is a little bit weak. I read somewhere that the Author portrayed him that way. Do you think if Nick was described differently would Gone Girl be so famous?

message 12: by Jeff (new)

Jeff It would certainly be a different book. Nick's timidity allows him to be manipulated like he was. While I do agree that he is a weak person, I think that it makes him a strong influence in the story, something to make it meaty. And I think it did give him a 3d quality - seeing how his personality was crafted by his childhood (domineering father, submissive mother, most good looking of the family - I liked how Boney pointed out her observations to that effect). If he was the other end of the spectrum, violent when he was confronted with conflict, or calculating and vengeful, then the story would have been very different. And I don't think it would have been as successful as I don't think it would have progressed so mysteriously.

Again, I don't like him either, as a person - but as a character he was essential in how he developed.

I am very interested in your views on Amy, specifically when you are done.

message 13: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Jeff, I like your perception of Nick and the role he plays in the book. I will let you know my views of Amy, Jeff.

message 14: by Phill (new)

Phill Featherstone (httpwwwgoodreadscomphillf) I agree with Jeff. Had Nick been different he would not have been so easy to control. One of the masterful things about this book is the way Amy's manipulation of Nick is gradually revealed. Amy is tougher and smarter, as she has to be for the plot to work. At the end Nick is totally in a corner and you can imagine his future life, unable to move and in constant fear of what Amy might do to him. He had to be the way he is, otherwise this wouldn't have worked so well.

message 15: by Jenny (last edited Jun 13, 2017 07:04AM) (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) I have finish Gone Girl and understand what you mean Jeff and Phill. The plot of Gone Girl would not work with a different portrayal of Nick and Amy. I did enjoy reading Gone Girl. However, I do not like Nick or Amy. To me, Gone Girl talks about domestic violence from a male perspective. Does anyone agree with me?

"I often don't say things out loud, even when I should" Why does Nick stay silent so often?

message 16: by Phill (new)

Phill Featherstone (httpwwwgoodreadscomphillf) I think Nick's ... well, I won't commit it to print! But then, so is Amy. The domestic violence Amy goes in for is subtle, sinister and deadly. The two deserve each other!

message 17: by Jeff (new)

Jeff I think Amy know how to keep Nick silent, and worked hard at it. if he were a macho sort of person, she would have manipulated him with ego or pride (and it would have been a different story). I would agree, it is domestic abuse, to some degree in both directions, but Amy takes it to a whole new level.

message 18: by Jeff (new)

Jeff To answer the question, Nick is trying to cover himself mostly, but the control mechanism was lack of ability to confront others, to avoid. there may have been some noble intent behind keeping his mistress hidden to avoid hey being scandalized, but even then, I think he was saving his bacon.

message 19: by Jeff (new)

Jeff One thought I had was how similar Amy's ideal relationship mimicked her parents. I think that is normal, but it was interesting from a sociopath perspective. I was left wondering if her mom was the same way and we got glimpses of a high functioning version of the future of Amy and Nick. every time Nick mentioned them, they were sickeningly sweet, although there was a point where the mom reacted different it led me to believe the dad was nonconfrontational, just like Nick. Maybe it wasn't too Amy level, but it crossed my mind that it was a perpetuating thing, especially given the last gotcha. Thoughts?

message 20: by Jenny (last edited Jun 13, 2017 06:48PM) (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) The reason I like Gone Girl it does portray that domestic abuse not only happens to women but it can happen to men as well. Gone Girl also highlights the effects of domestic abuse through different generations.

I think that Nick keeps quiet because deep down he knows that Amy could kill his mistress if she finds out about her. Nick knows that he was too weak to protect her. Also, Nick enjoyed having a secret from Amy.

Both Amy and Nick in a way deserve each other. After awhile I think it became a game to Amy to see how she could control Nick to do her bidding. I agree with you Jeff, Amy parents are the same as Amy and Nick and this was highlighted when Amy's parents meet Desi parents.

Desi must have been like Nick for Amy to be able to control.

message 21: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Maybe - at least a little. I was thinking with all of the other people that she manipulated throughout her life that she was good at it, either way. But Desi seemed more dominating and controlling himself. In fact, Desi seems to be more of a reflection of Amy than Nick, but their goals were different. Desi wanted to keep the object of his affection in a perfect, controlled world. He expected things to match the way he wanted it, and was subtle about it. He thought she should lose weight, so he controlled her intake of food. She was provided clothing he thought she should have. But Amy played the game and read people much better.

Desi had a complete blind spot when it came to Amy, probably draped around his ideal of her (maybe together on a Christmas card or her in a snow globe). I think he figured she would respond to his knight-in-white rescue, but maybe it was more like he figured she had nowhere to go (Amy may have even thought this in the book). Either way, she wrapped him around her finger.

BTW - I didn't like Desi either. :)

message 22: by Jeff (new)

Jeff by the way, I don't think I ever answered Jenny's question - yes, I do think this is a great perspective of domestic violence directed towards a man, as well as his passive aggressive response.

message 23: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) I do not like any of the characters in this book. However, Gone Girl would not be so popular if Gillian Flynn portrayed her characters differently. Also, Gone Girl is great book club book it ensures discussion within the group. Jeff, I like your insight into the characters of Gone Girl.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Gone Girl (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Gillian Flynn (other topics)