Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Free Beta reader seeking YA & Adult Fantasy/Science Fiction

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Barycz (JTBarycz) | 2 comments Hey guys,

I'm a Chef by day and avid reader whenever I'm not in the kitchen. I can often be found on my breaks deep in a novel or beta reading for my wife. Currently she is holed up writing and suggested I beta read for this group as a way to give back to the community that gives me so much enjoyment.

I am most interested in YA and adult science fiction or fantasy. That being said I am open to virtually all genres except for pure romance. I prefer completed works but if you are stuck at a certain section and need help breaking through I am well versed in that.

I can usually complete and provide feedback for 400 page book in two weeks however if you need less we can discuss that. I have a list of things I look for and upon contacting we can go over it and fit it to your needs.
-Joshua

message 2: by J. (new)

J. Burton | 7 comments Hi, Joshua!

I am looking for some folks to look over my 2nd draft at 100k words or so. It's a Young Adult novel, but is Book 2 in a series.

If you're okay with giving feedback on a sequel without having read the first, it would be a big help to me.

Pacing is my main concern. Knowing where it is flagging, where it might be bloated. And also where to cut. I need to chop at least 10,000 words out of this thing.

I mean, I have ideas about what I could cut, but would rather get other people's ideas before I start slicing.

All feedback is useful on it, however.

"The Sleepwar Saga" is like a supernatural breakfast club. Six teens from different walks of life, who don't know each other, start to find that sometimes, when they sleep, they are together somewhere else. Fighting evil.

This volume ("Red Cross") involves the hunt for a supernaturally-powered boy in a rundown hospital. But they are not the only ones after him...

Let me know if you'd be willing to look it over. Either here or at:

trekplant(at)gmail.com

Thanks!

- JD

message 3: by Jon (new)

Jon | 6 comments Hi, Joshua

If you're still available to read, I've got a book for you as well. Just let me know your preferred method of contact. Thanks!

-Jon

message 4: by J. (new)

J. A. | 17 comments Hi Joshua,

If you have anytime, would you be interested in reading my sci-fi/action novel? It is about heroes and villains in one city and a plot to blow up an asylum. If you are interested, please email me at jaandersonbuisness@gmail.com
Ps. It is still being edited ;)

Thanks,
J. A. Anderson

message 5: by John (new)

John G. Stevens | 5 comments Hello Joshua,

I have a complete 132k word Fantasy novel reading for beta reading. I'm looking for general impressions (good, bad, ugly etc) nothing too verbose, but any feedback is welcomed!

Title: Echowake

The story centers around Mystics who practice a chi-based magic called Inner-Fire, a powerful inventors guild called the Cytechs, and our hero, Trede. He's a nomadic courier with a dark curse that's drawing him into the middle of a brewing conflict. Here's a more formal pitch:

A lone traveler lives alone with his curse, afraid of hurting anyone who might get too close. Until one day he finds himself accosted by a powerful and deadly Mystic. Soon after, he receives a rare invitation to join the Cytech Inventors Guild, but a deadly mystic shadow still pursues. Can he risk the lives of his new found friends, or must he face this threat alone? One thing is for sure, there are much greater forces at play than he ever realized. A black storm brews in the north.

My email is john.glen.stevens@gmail.com. Drop me a line if you'd like to give my book a read.

Thank you!

-John

message 6: by Robin (new)

Robin Austin (robingaustin) | 1 comments Hi Joshua

I have a draft YA humor/metaphysical book that I would love your opinion on. It's about 7500 (Chs 1-3, 9, 20). It's my first YA and I really need to know if I'm in the ballpark. It's on my website and there is a comment box at the end to leave feedback.

http://robingaustin.com/the-grimbanes...

Thanks for your consideration!

message 7: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Armstrong | 65 comments Hi Josh

I have a YA Dystopian novel complete at 96,000 words. It has already been beta read and edited. Below is the blurb. If you're interested I would love to hear from you! :)

A century after the Vermune virus devastated Earth’s population, all that remains of North America is a society segregated into two precincts: the Northerners who produce the Antidote, and the Southerners who are enslaved by it.

After the virus kills someone close to her, sixteen-year-old Mia begins questioning her life in the South. Desperate for answers, she joins The Movement, a group of rebels determined to end the North’s tyranny.

Mia must take action if she wants to save those closest to her, but doing so means relying on someone her heart and mind are at odds over. Someone her upbringing has taught her to hate.

message 8: by Cara (new)

Cara Bingham | 11 comments Hi Josh.

If you are not to busy would you mind beta reading my YA fantasy novel that is about 68K words long plus a little more?

Here is the blurb

Mira Storm Weather often wondered why people though her strange. She always thought she lived an ordinary life.However, events at Halloween would prove how extraordinary her life had the potential to be.

On this night she discovered she had inherited magical powers that have been passed down her family for generations. Now Mira must gain wisdom and courage to fully embrace her destiny as a witch.

If you are interested please either PM me or email me at

authorcaralouisebingham@yahoo.com

Thank you

Cara Bingham

message 9: by B (new)

B P Baggett (bpbaggett) | 107 comments sent a pm

message 10: by Jay (last edited Aug 15, 2017 06:43PM) (new)

Jay Storey (jayallanstorey) | 80 comments Hi, Josh,

I'm looking for some feedback on my 80k YA/Scifi novel, called VITA AETURNA.

Here's a short synopsis:

Sometime around their fifteenth birthday, every kid in Henry Newman’s world of the future undergoes a medical procedure called ‘Appraisal’, which is meant to significantly increase life-expectancy. But the results of Appraisal are unpredictable, and in rare cases it can actually shorten life.

On the day of his treatment, Henry expects one of only three possible outcomes:

1) He’ll be given the advantage of a pleasantly extended lifespan.
2) The life extension will be minor. Nothing much will happen.
3) He’ll ‘Neg out’. That is, his life will be shortened, like what happened to his old man.

So how is it possible that Henry’s result turns out to be ‘none of the above’?

Thanks.

Jay Allan Storey

message 11: by Troy (new)

Troy Neenan | 34 comments My name is Troy Neenan and I would like you to evaluate my novel Game Night.
The novel is 70,000 words long and is science fiction fantasy.
The book takes place within another book series universe I made but I want to make this a stand alone novel.

The book is about several characters and how a futuristic company and a elvan government use and manipulate people for their own ends for profit and interests.

The books starts with Sorie, a wood elf getting drunk and sleeping with somebody from our world. The subject quickly snow balls out of control as organisations want to use this incident for their own agendas while Sorie just wants to forget about it entirely.

The main problem is that I am too close to this book and need an outside opinion. Was this book enjoyable? Was it interesting? Are the grammar problems a deal breaker. Are the characters too young, too old, is it believable are the characters memorable and how much would you buy this book if I put it up on Kindle?

Would you be interested?