Bookworms Anonymous discussion

BOTM Archives > 1984

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (last edited May 31, 2017 08:12AM) (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) 1984 by George Orwell 1984 by George Orwell

Follow the discussion here!

message 2: by Denise (new)

Denise (cat_pleasures) | 143 comments Mod
I just started this book. Even though I have barely gotten into it, I am disturbed, yet intrigued by this classic.

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Denise wrote: "I just started this book. Even though I have barely gotten into it, I am disturbed, yet intrigued by this classic."

Denise, you are stronger than me. I not sure I could read this book again - I was disturbed by it the first time I read 1984.

message 4: by Phill (new)

Phill Featherstone (httpwwwgoodreadscomphillf) Read this ages ago and now coming back to it. How prophetic it was! - the powerlessness of the individual against an unscrupulous state. Read it with North Korea in mind.

message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Phill - do you recommend for me to read this book again!

message 6: by Phill (new)

Phill Featherstone (httpwwwgoodreadscomphillf) I've read it before but it was many years ago, and coming back to it I'm noticing lots of things that either weren't relevant then or I didn't register. I'm always reluctant to re-read a book myself because there's so much I haven't read in my book pile, so I'm not sure! You must decide, but it is a great read and chillingly well written. Why not start it and see if it draws you in?

message 7: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Thank you Phill - I will start to read 1984 - I will let you no my views!

message 8: by Jenny (last edited Jun 07, 2017 02:19AM) (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) I got my copy of 1984 today. Going to start to read it tomorrow.

message 9: by J. (new)

J. I read it a good few years ago, when I was in my early teens. Considering how much I learned about politics, history and people in general since then, I'm thinking of going back to it now, but I don't know if I'll be able to get through it a second time.

message 10: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) I agree with you, Ash. I am having trouble reading it the second time. However, I will preserve with it.

message 11: by Leo (new)

Leo Borgelin | 1 comments I read this book 3 times and I'm still having difficulty. I find it easier to read when I have a reference of just listening to someone's opinion on the chapter before or after the read. I know I'm taking someone else's thoughts, but it helps.

message 12: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Thanks, Leo. That is a good idea.

message 13: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) I have finally finished reading 1984. What does everyone think of the following question:

Describe the role that O'Brien plays in Winston's life. Why do you think that initially, Winston is drawn to O'Brien? Why does he implicitly trust him, despite the enormous dangers involved?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

1984 (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

George Orwell (other topics)