Fantasy and Vampire Book Club discussion

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
This topic is about Good Omens
Book of the Month > **Surprise BOM june**

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adele, Moderator (last edited May 31, 2017 06:09AM) (new)

Adele (turtil) | 1767 comments Mod
May has Come and is almost Gone. and it has gone by so fast that we forgot to set up nominations and polling. So this month we are just forgetting all that process and the moderators have chosen a BOM for you.
so... Surprise!

ok this month we are reading Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

this came second in last months poll so it seemed the most logical choice for a surprise BOM. it was either that or put the goodreads database of books in a hat and draw one out! ok that's excessive i know but how else do I choose?

so i hope you all enjoy this book. let us know what you think about it and also feel free to post your review or a link to your review.

ok about the book:
According to The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch (the world's only completely accurate book of prophecies, written in 1655, before she exploded), the world will end on a Saturday. Next Saturday, in fact. Just before dinner.

So the armies of Good and Evil are amassing, Atlantis is rising, frogs are falling, tempers are flaring. Everything appears to be going according to Divine Plan. Except a somewhat fussy angel and a fast-living demon—both of whom have lived amongst Earth's mortals since The Beginning and have grown rather fond of the lifestyle—are not actually looking forward to the coming Rapture.

And someone seems to have misplaced the Antichrist . . .

You have a choice of two covers with this book. so don't stress if you're reading the white one and everyone else is reading the black..or vice versa.

Good Omens The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett
Good Omens The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett

message 2: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new) - added it

Amyiw | 1082 comments Mod
Oh, great. I've been meaning to get to this for years. I actually have both the white and the black covers on my shelf.

message 3: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new) - added it

So I'm 60% into this one will say that it is quirky and amusing, not quite funny though. I think part of that is because it is a bit, if not very dated. Also British humor is very dry, so not usually LOL funny anyway. The first hardback edition is dated 1990.

So after a very scattered beginning, where we get several happenings by different POVs, it starts coalescing together. The beginning starts with the babies being switched at birth and one too many switches with a 3rd baby happening. The fallen angel and angel (I'm not going to attempt spelling their names) talk about how if one side wins the apocalypse, that it'll be a boring world and they like it the way it is. Then they get into the nature verses nurture and hope for the best. Of course no one really knows where the baby of the apocalypse is, so who knows how the nurturing is going. Then we get several storylines and jumps to more characters that will be a part of the finale.

It took me a while to get into this and stick to it. 50% and the story starts really coming more together so that you see a direction. Until then you get a bunch of quirky sayings and happening but not sure where it is going. Only a few are LOL material and some are very dated computer issues.

message 4: by Adele, Moderator (new)

i'm beyond frustrated with my crappy library....it has shown its crappyness once again! i can't find a copy of this book so i have to go shopping. would it be bad of me to sit in the bookstore and read it? not the whole thing just read like 3 chapters and then put it down and come back (or even go to another store) and read the next 3 or 4 chapters... that wouldn't be too bad would it?

message 5: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new) - added it

If you lived in the US, I would send you one of my copies. Really. I don't think it'll be a keeper on my bookshelf. Cute, not a re-read.

I think the read in the book store is not a bad idea.

message 6: by Adele, Moderator (new)

well I might see if there is a couple of shops. I know in the city you can sit and read but bookshops like that are a dying breed.
I'm so upset my crappy library doesn't even have it on overdrive or on borrow box. I thought if hey don't have a physical copy they would at least have it on there.... nope! I think I need to have a chat to someone about the library resources or at least getting new books.
grr I am so frustrated by them.

ok so I'm going shopping next week. I'll post up my adventures as they happen. who kno is it might be fun. I might get kicked out. I might get asked if I'm buying the book. we shall see.

message 7: by Adele, Moderator (new)

oh and thanks Amy it would be awesome if we were in the same country too .book exchanging would be so much easier!