The Hugo Awards Book Club discussion

Book of the Month > June 2017: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jocelyn (last edited May 31, 2017 03:18AM) (new)

Jocelyn (joceapotamus) | 103 comments The votes are in! We'll be reading the 2005 winner, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, the 2004 debut novel of British writer Susanna Clarke. It's another chunkster so I've set it to span two months although I won't be surprised if it takes longer! This is one that has been on my TBR for years so I'm looking forward to finally picking it up, what about you? Or will you be reading another Hugo award winner this month? Or have you already read it?

From Goodreads:

At the dawn of the nineteenth century, two very different magicians emerge to change England's history. In the year 1806, with the Napoleonic Wars raging on land and sea, most people believe magic to be long dead in England--until the reclusive Mr Norrell reveals his powers, and becomes a celebrity overnight.

Soon, another practicing magician comes forth: the young, handsome, and daring Jonathan Strange. He becomes Norrell's student, and they join forces in the war against France. But Strange is increasingly drawn to the wildest, most perilous forms of magic, straining his partnership with Norrell, and putting at risk everything else he holds dear.

message 2: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn (joceapotamus) | 103 comments I bought this book but didn't get around to reading it- terrible, I know! Did anyone read it?