Sir Walter Scott Appreciation discussion

3 views
The Heart of Mid-Lothian > week 8: chapter 45-52

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 319 comments Mod
Post comments here


message 2: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 270 comments Mod
I finished the book and really enjoyed it. Jeanie is such a lovely character and Reuben found his strengths as a minister.


message 3: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 319 comments Mod
I am sorry but I am way behind in my reading. I was flooded out of my apartment by a faulty washing machine that was stuck on rinse cycle and overflowing for 9 hours before it was discovered. I had to get all my things out and am staying with a friend for now. Everything is in boxes.


message 4: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 270 comments Mod
Tracey, that is not good at all!


message 5: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 319 comments Mod
Rosemarie wrote: "Tracey, that is not good at all!"

No it isn't and it has been a very stressful time. But like all adversity, I always learn the most about myself and who are my true friends and so it has not been a totally unproductive time :) ( this is me trying to be positive in the midst of it all lol).


message 6: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 319 comments Mod
I finished the novel despite the 'distractions' and found solace within the written word. The very best of heroines is found in this story; Jeanie Deans. I loved this book and Scott did not disappoint me. Highly recommended to those who love novels of virtue and integrity.


message 7: by Lori (new)

Lori Goshert (lori_laleh) | 46 comments Tracey wrote: "I finished the novel despite the 'distractions' and found solace within the written word. The very best of heroines is found in this story; Jeanie Deans. I loved this book and Scott did not disappo..."

I agree. It's one of my favorite books by Scott.


message 8: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 270 comments Mod
Jeanie is a very special heroine, someone I would enjoy knowing in "real life."


message 9: by Lori (new)

Lori Goshert (lori_laleh) | 46 comments I remember finding the accounts of Effie's son a bit tiring. And I was worried he would kill Jeannie's husband and was so worried because I really wanted a happy ending for them. I was relieved they got it.


message 10: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 319 comments Mod
Lori wrote: "I remember finding the accounts of Effie's son a bit tiring. And I was worried he would kill Jeannie's husband and was so worried because I really wanted a happy ending for them. I was relieved the..."

I found this part of the story the least satisfactory and wished Scott had reworked it.


message 11: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 270 comments Mod
I generally found that Effie was not a convincing well-developed character. She changes from a foolish girl to elegant woman of the upper class- it doesn't work for me.


message 12: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 319 comments Mod
Rosemarie wrote: "I generally found that Effie was not a convincing well-developed character. She changes from a foolish girl to elegant woman of the upper class- it doesn't work for me."

I agree that Effie was not developed as well as Jeanie. It was as if Scott put all his thoughts and efforts into Jeanie and Effie was an afterthought he had to cobble together.


back to top