Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

The Valiant (The Valiant, #1)
This topic is about The Valiant
June 2017: Ghost Bride > ALT: The Valiant Discussion *SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 918 comments Mod
The forum-picked ALT title for June is The Valiant by Lesley Livingston. Use this thread to discuss the book. The second book in this series is not due to be published until 2018.
Princess. Captive. Gladiator.

Fallon is the daughter of a proud Celtic king, the sister of the legendary warrior Sorcha, and the sworn enemy of Julius Caesar.

When Fallon was a child, Caesar’s armies invaded her homeland, and her beloved sister was killed in battle.

Now, on the eve of her seventeenth birthday, Fallon is eager to follow in her sister’s footsteps and earn her place in the fearsome Cantii war band. She never gets the chance.

Fallon is captured and sold to an elite training school for female gladiators—owned by none other than Julius Caesar. In a cruel twist of fate, the man who destroyed Fallon’s family might be her only hope of survival.

Now Fallon must overcome vicious rivalries and deadly fights—in and out of the arena. And perhaps the most dangerous threat of all: her forbidden yet irresistible feelings for Cai, a young Roman soldier.

message 2: by Liangelus (last edited May 30, 2017 10:09PM) (new)

Liangelus (goodreadscomliangelus) | 12 comments Am I being a complete derp? I can't find an ebook version of this.

Update: It looks like it might just be my region :(

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 918 comments Mod
Liangelus wrote: "Am I being a complete derp? I can't find an ebook version of this.

Update: It looks like it might just be my region :("

That's my guess as well. Found it in Canada, US, and UK, but not down under. I hate it when that happens.

Carly Crusade | 51 comments I have mixed feelings about this book. I thought the story was really interesting and well written. It was definitely a story that made you want to keep reading filled with lots of fun twists and turns. But I really really was upset with the ending. I feel like she flushed all her principles down the toilet by succumbing to being Caesar's victor and embracing the life of a gladiatrix. Throughout the book she may have been hard headed and stubborn as hell but she had these really strong principles that I feel like she gave up on. I look forward to the second one being released, I hope it goes into a better direction.

Amber Kinsey | 58 comments I'm enjoying this book so far. It kind of reminds me of a YA version of Gladiatrix by Russell Whitfield - but without the F/F. Although I'm a little less than half-way through Valiant, so maybe it will surprise me.

Aimee I tore through this book quicker than I expected. I enjoyed the overall plot and found the part where she stumbles upon the underground cult to be a bit spooky. Otherwise, given that "Wonder Woman" is trending now, I think this is a great read for people wanting to find similar stories to WW that are not comic book related

Carly Crusade | 51 comments Aimee wrote: "I tore through this book quicker than I expected. I enjoyed the overall plot and found the part where she stumbles upon the underground cult to be a bit spooky. Otherwise, given that "Wonder Woman"..."

I hope they go more into that whole cult thing in the second book. It was very interesting and only brushed over briefly.

Alexis (anniebanannie312) | 11 comments I agree that it seems kind of weird that she'd just... embrace the life of a gladiatrix, especially since she was fighting it the whole book. like, I could have seen her being resigned to her fate, but to have her totally on board after a relatively short time seemed awkward. still, I did enjoy it. idk if I liked it enough to have to read the second, but maybe in the future

Amber Kinsey | 58 comments I finished The Valiant, and I have to agree Fallon did seem to have an abrupt change of heart regarding her role and future as a gladiatrix. I also thought it strange that she kissed Cai publicly when a relationship between the two of them was such a taboo. But, overall, I enjoyed the book and would be willing to continue the series.

Sarah P | 31 comments I have really enjoyed this book, as a fun, quick read. Fallon's last minute decision didn't sound off to me: I think the love of one's sister can make you do things like that. And she didn't flush all her principles, on the contrary, she never killed for the sake of killing or anything like that, and she has shown to have a moral compass all throughout the book. The ending is just an extension of that. As for kissing Cai when it was such a taboo, I think they did it knowing the crowd would probably think it was part of the theatrics, at least that's how I interpreted it. As Fallon said, they wanted violence, blood, betrayal, romance, the whole shebang, and that's what she gave them.

Plot wise, I new from the moment the author wrote that they had never seen Sorsha's body that she was still alive, and then when a lady bought Fallon at the auction, I knew again it was her. The only twist I didn't predict was Aeddan's return. That was a nice touch that didn't make the whole story predictable.

As for the romance, well this girl falls in love very quickly. Yep.

Heather (tornadox) | 20 comments I liked the book, but the romance with Cai was so predictable and boring. I wish the author had spent that time with Fallon, Elka, and Cass instead. The ending didn't bother me, i was happy that it didn't end on a cliffhanger or heavily foreshadow the next book.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Valiant (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lesley Livingston (other topics)