Book Snails Book Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Currently Reading -- 2016 & 2017 > What are you reading, OCTOBER 2017?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

biblio • bliss (bookgirl1987) | 1152 comments Mod
What are you reading, October 2017?

message 2: by Kelsey (last edited Oct 02, 2017 08:08AM) (new)

Kelsey I'm reading The Haunting of Hill House and Things That Go Bump in the Night currently, and I hope to read The Fifth Petal later this month, closer to Halloween.

Unfortunately, I really don't think I'm going to finish Gone with the Wind this year! I'm not even half way through it. I'll try, though!

And, even though our Creeptastic Book Challenge was last year, I'm still technically using it for this year, too! I'm only going to read paranormal books this month :)

storytimesaddness | 9 comments I just started the book Slasher by an assortment of horror authors. I am excited to see how the anthology goes, but so far so good!

message 4: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Kelsey wrote: "I'm reading The Haunting of Hill House and Things That Go Bump in the Night currently, and I hope to read The Fifth Petal later this month, closer to Hall..."

I'm with you there, Kelsey...I'm not going to finish "Gone with the Wind" anytime soon either. Barely made it to chapter 3 or 4, I think. Lol. So many other books calling my name. Should we continue with our Creeptastic Book Challenge? Shall I update? Feel free to use spooky books you read this year for last year's challenge...oh wait, is it still open? I'll have to check on that. (Sorry, I'm thinking out loud here).

message 5: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Nadine wrote: "I just started the book Slasher by an assortment of horror authors. I am excited to see how the anthology goes, but so far so good!"

Sounds good, Nadine! You'll have to keep us updated.

message 6: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Allison wrote: "Kelsey wrote: "I'm reading The Haunting of Hill House and Things That Go Bump in the Night currently, and I hope to read The Fifth Petal later this month,..."

I'm going to try and finish it by December, but the end of the year creeped up on me so quickly! Too many other books to read, I agree :)

I'm glad we're continuing with the challenge! I think a lot of people, including myself, try to read "creepy" books in October!

message 7: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Kelsey wrote: "Allison wrote: "Kelsey wrote: "I'm reading The Haunting of Hill House and Things That Go Bump in the Night currently, and I hope to read The Fifth Petal l..."

I updated the challenge so it's open and ready to go ;-)

message 8: by Brandyn (new)

Brandyn (brandy_k) | 13 comments I finally started The Golden Compass and so far I'm enjoying it. I was worried because I've tried several other books in the Steampunk genre and never made it past page 30.

Also just started The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic.

message 9: by Lupe, Bibliophile Extraordinaire (new)

Lupe Dominguez (lupedominguez) | 92 comments Mod
Paradox Bound had been on my list before it was actually release so I am currently working on that. Other than that, I don't have any set books for October. I usually do scary reads, so I do have a few of those. But not much.

message 10: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1806 comments Mod
Thanks, Brandyn and Lupe; those looks like good titles, esp. Paradox Bound [time travel!]

I can't recall a book that ever terrified me, but reading Cujo at a much too-young age was mildly disturbing.

Here's a Stephen King book that I think would be a good October read. It's set in the 1970s, and possibly has paranormal elements (I'm not telling!) without being creepy or too weird. I think even non-horror fans might like it. I rated it a 3+:

Joyland by Stephen King JOYLAND

I plan to read THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE, and maybe some other pararormal/horror/creepy stuff this month. Here are some possibilities on my list:

(view spoiler)

message 11: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Brandyn wrote: "I finally started The Golden Compass and so far I'm enjoying it. I was worried because I've tried several other books in the Steampunk genre and never made it past page 30.

Also just..."

I think that one's on my TBR. Glad you're liking it so far!

message 12: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Lupe wrote: "Paradox Bound had been on my list before it was actually release so I am currently working on that. Other than that, I don't have any set books for October. I usually do scary reads..."

We'll have to load you up with some scary reads for this month! Lol Perhaps short stories if you're busy...

message 13: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

StarMan wrote: "Thanks, Brandyn and Lupe; those looks like good titles, esp. Paradox Bound [time travel!]

I can't recall a book that ever terrified me, but reading Cujo at a much too-young age was m..."

Great suggestions, StarMan, sure to book you right up should you indulge in these!

message 14: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey So far, I've finished Things That Go Bump in the Night, and I'm super close to finishing The Haunting of Hill House!

I've also picked up Joyland from the library, which I'll get started on after I finish The Haunting of Hill House, alongside The Fifth Petal.

message 15: by Pien (new)

Pien | 442 comments Right now I’m halfway Angela's Ashes, and unfortunately still waiting for the library to send me Jiri the crocodile hunter (Dutch youth book I really wanted to read to my daughter). They probably can’t find it...
After finishing the very depressing but yet nice Angela’s ashes, I’ll be reading Schim, which is about an apparition, and This House is Haunted
After these, I won’t be able to go to sleep with all the lights on... I hope.

message 16: by Lupe, Bibliophile Extraordinaire (new)

Lupe Dominguez (lupedominguez) | 92 comments Mod
Allison wrote: "Lupe wrote: "Paradox Bound had been on my list before it was actually release so I am currently working on that. Other than that, I don't have any set books for October. I usually d..."

I think I'm going to do some more Stephen King so that will be cool. I've already read Misery, Pet Sematary of his, and I have some others that I own that I will get to at some point this month! LOL

message 17: by Bkwmlee (new)

Bkwmlee | 374 comments No “spooky” reads for me this month since I’m not a fan of Halloween. My plan for October is to continue working through the ARCs I’ve got lined up (a couple of which I’m already behind on) and hopefully be able to catch up to the point that I can spend November and December cleaning up my challenges for year end (and also squeeze a few group reads in there from my various book clubs).

So far, I finished one book for October (Harlan Coben’s crime thriller Don't Let Go) and am currently about halfway through the nonfiction book A Force So Swift: Mao, Truman, and the Birth of Modern China, 1949 (technically for September but I fell behind). After that, I’ve got 3 October releases lined up to read: Xiaolu Guo’s Nine Continents: A Memoir in and Out of China, Francesca Hornak’s Seven Days of Us (been getting mixed reviews so not sure how this one will turn out), and Amy Tan’s new memoir Where the Past Begins: A Writer's Memoir (which I’m super-excited about being a fan of her books).

Since I seem to be averaging 5 books a month now, trying not to get too ahead of myself, lol. If by some miracle I end up finishing all the above books before October is over (which I doubt), I’ve got plenty of “on the side” books that I can throw in….

message 18: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

I hope everyone is having a pleasant October and reading month!

message 19: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Books I've finished so far:

Things That Go Bump in the Night
The Haunting of Hill House
Joyland (DNF)

Books that are on my list for this month:

This House is Haunted
The Fifth Petal

I'm hoping to read those two, and finish out October with them!

message 20: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Kelsey wrote: "Books I've finished so far:

Joyland (DNF)

Books that are on my list for this month:

[book:T..."

Good job, Kelsey!

message 21: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey I've read so much this month! Maybe more than I've ever read in one month, in my entire life.

I've finished:
Joyland
This House is Haunted
The Fifth Petal

and I've read more of:
Gone with the Wind

Unfortunately, out of the five books listed above, I only enjoyed two of them. The three others were 2 star ratings for me. Oh well!

message 22: by Bkwmlee (new)

Bkwmlee | 374 comments Kelsey wrote: "I've read so much this month! Maybe more than I've ever read in one month, in my entire life.

I've finished:
..."

Great job, Kelsey! :-) I wish I could say the same for myself though -- this is actually the month where I've read the fewest books (mostly due to being busy with work and other stuff). I've only read 3 books this month and I've been averaging 5 books. Looks like November and December are going to be huge "catch-up" months for me...

message 23: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Bkwmlee wrote: "Kelsey wrote: "I've read so much this month! Maybe more than I've ever read in one month, in my entire life.

I've finished:
[book:The Haunting of Hil..."

Thanks! I usually only read 3 books a month, maybe a little under, so we're on the opposite page! Lol.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.