Book Snails Book Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Currently Reading -- 2016 & 2017 > What are you reading, SEPTEMBER 2017?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

biblio • bliss (bookgirl1987) | 1150 comments Mod
What are you reading, September 2017?

message 2: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Let's just get this out of the way: Gone with the Wind! :)

Other than that, I've finished the Confessions of Georgia Nicolson series with reading:
Stop in the Name of Pants!
Are These My Basoomas I See Before Me?

I've also started on the Hercule Poirot series, and have read The Mysterious Affair at Styles.

I plan to continue that series with reading The Murder on the Links this month!

I'm also planning on reading two "spooky" books, to get in the fall/Halloween mood! (Even if it is still September...it's my favorite time of the year!) Those books are:
My Best Friend's Exorcism
Things That Go Bump in the Night

I'm hoping to finish these three books in the next two and a half weeks, but if I don't get to Things That Go Bump in the Night, I can always read it in October.

message 3: by Bkwmlee (new)

Bkwmlee | 439 comments September is another busy reading month for me!

Barely 2 weeks into the month and I already finished two books (both ARCs that I was able to get to in time to meet publishing deadline):

The Space Between Words by Michele Phoenix

Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng

I’m (finally) finishing up The Essex Serpent right now (only about 40 pages or so left), which was one of my book club BOTM and also a book I had won in a giveaway.

Still working my way through The Glorious Heresies, which has been on my list for like 4 months I think, lol….pushing to get this one done so it’s off my list for good.

I also just started Jamie Ford’s newest book Love and Other Consolation Prizes today (ARC version that I got awhile back but couldn’t get to until now) – loving it so far!

Lastly, there are 4 more books that I have on my list to read this month, all ARCs that publish this month so going to try as hard as I can to get them all out this month. Luckily I don’t have as many books planned for October (yet) so will continue these if I don’t finish by then:

The Trick by Emanuel Bergman

A Force So Swift: Mao, Truman, and the Birth of Modern China, 1949 by Kevin Peraino

Five-Carat Soul by James McBride

Don't Let Go by Harlan Coben

message 4: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Kelsey wrote: "Let's just get this out of the way: Gone with the Wind! :)

Other than that, I've finished the Confessions of Georgia Nicolson series with reading:
Stop in the Name of Pants!
My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix
That one looks super-strange! ;-)
And YES to the diversity in your choices!! Also, the group needs more info about that Confessions of Georgia Nicolson series...I'm chuckling at those titles.

message 5: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Bkwmlee wrote: "September is another busy reading month for me!

Barely 2 weeks into the month and I already finished two books (both ARCs that I was able to get to in time to meet publishing deadline):

[book:T..."

Awesome picks; glad you're making good progress. You've already read the new Celeste Ng?! Even more awesome!

message 6: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1883 comments Random books read by candelight/LED during hurricane Irma-geddon and the subsequent power outage:

The Girl with the Silver Eyes by Willo Davis Roberts
The Girl with the Silver Eyes (kids book)

Shards and Ashes by Melissa Marr
Shards and Ashes (YA/adult fantasy short stories)

Target (Vicky Peterwald, #1) by Mike Shepherd
Target (science fiction)

message 7: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Allison wrote: "Kelsey wrote: "Let's just get this out of the way: Gone with the Wind! :)

[book:Stop in the Nam..."

The Georgia Nicolson series is a YA series that I read when I was a teenager, and I wanted to reread now, and I'm so glad I did!

Honestly, nothing much happens in the books, because it focuses on Georgia, a 15 year old Brit who's focused on her love life, and her best friends, who she calls the Ace Gang. Throughout ten books, she has three different (major) boyfriends, and two accidental boyfriends, and at the end, she must choose between Dave the Laugh, Masimo, the lurve god, and Robbie, the sex god.

It's hilarious, though, because Georgia is sarcastic, HATES school (she refers to it as Stalag 14), and is so awkward, which I think all 15 year olds tend to be! When she meets Masimo for the first time, her fake lashes get glued together, so she can't open her eyes, and instead pretends to headbang all the way to the bathroom.

She also goes to America (which is so so funny) and Scotland, goes camping with school, which, the whole thing is hilarious, and is forced to do school plays. They read like diary entries, so you get a super blunt and sarcastic account of all these happenings of a 15 year old, who has a literal insane family, and they're a joy to read!

Some of the jokes don't age well at all, like all the jokes about lesbians and transgendered people, which made me a little uncomfortable, but they're mostly harmless, and I just had to remind myself that they were written 10+ years ago. Plus, Georgia, whenever she makes a dig at lesbians, later in the book she always says something like, "who cares? Love is love. Maybe I'll become a lesbian".

They definitely aren't a series for everyone, but if you want a light hearted, (and very fast), read, then I would suggest it!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.