Book Snails Book Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Currently Reading -- 2016 & 2017 > What are you reading, AUGUST 2017?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

biblio • bliss (bookgirl1987) | 1152 comments Mod
What are you reading, August 2017?

message 2: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

biblio • bliss (bookgirl1987) | 1152 comments Mod
What's everyone starting August off with? I just finished Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and I'm so excited for Book 4!

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin | 579 comments I would really like to finish Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe because it's one of my all-time favorite movies and I realized I've never actually read the book (even though I've owned it for probably 10 years). Sadly, I've come to a grinding halt with my reading lately and just can't get back into it. :-/

I'm glad you're enjoying the Harry Potter books, Allison. I am absolutely in love with them!!!

message 4: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Right now, I'm currently reading Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging because I was feeling extremely nostalgic (I had read the series when I was 14) and because I go on vacation tomorrow, and wanted to sneak in a book before then. I figured that since the book was YA, I'd get through it fairly quickly, and I did! I'll finish it today.

Still trying to catch up on Gone with the Wind. I'm reading it, ever so slowly...

When I get back from vacation, I have no clue what I'll read. Perhaps American Blonde, to finish the Velva Jean series I started this year, but I also kind of want to hold off, because I really don't want to finish the series! I love Velva Jean!

Other than that, I have no clue. I might look into murder mystery series, or even continue with the YA series I'm reading, because I have all the books. We'll see! I never know what I'll feel like reading until I finish a book.

How are you liking the Harry Potter series Allison? I actually just washed my Ravenclaw tumbler, right before I saw this! :)

message 5: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey I'm so busy this August, and the only down time I have to read is at work, during my lunch break! I think for the rest of the month, I'll be rereading and finishing the Georgia Nicholson series. I'm on book 3 of 10 right now, but they're such a fast read that I finished book 2 in a day.

I'm also trying to chip away at Gone with the Wind, so I think those will primarily be what's read in August.

message 6: by Bkwmlee (new)

Bkwmlee | 382 comments I totally hear you, Kelsey! My reading time this month is limited as well (the 1 hour reading time during lunch has become a godsend!), yet I got overly ambitious and am currently working through several very long books all at once. Hopefully I get more time during the weekends to read!

I actually already finished one back the first week of August that I had started in July (The Wildling Sisters by Eve Chase) so at least it’s something. Below is the rest of my list for August:

The Essex Serpent - I won this book in a GR giveaway a few months back but never got a chance to read it. Since one of my book clubs chose it as our "book of the month", gave me motivation to finally get to it.

The Glorious Heresies - this one was for a blog project that I've been meaning to get to for awhile.

The Resurrection of Joan Ashby - ARC from NetGalley publishing at the end of this month (trying to work through my NG queue as well). Excellent book so far - barely a third of the way through and I already know I'm going to love this one!

The Alice Network – been wanting to read this one for awhile and it happened to get chosen for one of my book clubs so figured I’d read it this month. Didn’t realize it was so long though (500+ pages). It sounds really good though and has gotten many glowing reviews so looking forward to it.

The Heart's Invisible Furies – another ARC publishing end of this month. This one came highly recommended from several GR friends, plus it sounds like my kind of book based on the description. It’s another tome though (almost 600 pages!) so I’m worried I won’t be able to finish in time…we’ll see how it goes…

message 7: by Marie (new)

Marie | 4 comments I just wrapped up the last of my travels for this summer. Most of my traveling has been professional/work related, giving me little reading time. I am looking forward to about two months without significant travel plans. Despite the busy schedule, I have been reading a lot more faster to finish genre fiction lately, so I am still getting through a rather large number of books.

This month (August) I already read:
The Hanged Man (Victorian urban fantasy. Decent - I wish there was a sequel as seems to have been the plan)
Fool Me Twice (Romance - I enjoyed this one a lot but feel a bit conflicted about some of what happened in it)
The Queen of Blood (Fantasy - Very good and I look forward to reading the sequels. Also, technically I started this on the last day or so in July...)

I have started reading:
Cinnamon and Gunpowder (Pirates, a chef, and much adventure - off to a fun start though not as page turning addictive as I had hoped)
The Stars Are Legion (Sci-Fi - Intensive world building mystery at the start that I loved. Bogged down a bit by some of the character's internal drama)
The Fruit Hunters: A Story of Nature, Obsession, Commerce, and Adventure (Non-Fiction - the writing and structure is a bit uneven. Sometimes I'm fascinated and sometimes I'm bored or rolling my eyes as the flowery language)

I hope to read:
Ninefox Gambit (Sci-Fi - for a book group)
When Breath Becomes Air (Non-Fiction - for a reading challenge)
Shadow Divers (Non-Fiction - Sounds interesting!)

I may or may not try to pick up Caraval for the monthly book discussion for this group. I'm supposed to be reading Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body for another book group but cannot get my hands on a library copy (and right now I am only borrowing or buying from the library book shop where I can get books for $1 or less).

message 8: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1811 comments Mod
Marie wrote: "I just wrapped up the last of my travels for this summer. Most of my traveling has been professional/work related, giving me little reading time. I am looking forward to about two months without si..."

That's a nice variety of reading, Marie!

message 9: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey I certainly read more in August than I previously thought I would! I've read:

Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging
On the Bright Side, I'm Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God
Knocked Out by My Nunga-Nungas
Dancing in My Nuddy-Pants
Away Laughing on a Fast Camel
Then He Ate My Boy Entrancers
Startled by His Furry Shorts

and I'm currently reading:
Love Is a Many Trousered Thing
Murder on the Orient Express
Gone with the Wind

I might possibly finish Murder on the Orient Express within the next three days, to finish up in August, and maybe even Love Is a Many Trousered Thing, too, but we'll see! All in all I'm happy with what I've read.

I'm actually enjoying the YA books that I read as a teenager SO much, that I might read another YA series I read back then, too, after I'm finished with this one :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.