Book Snails Book Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Currently Reading -- 2016 & 2017 > What are you reading, JULY 2017?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

biblio • bliss (bookgirl1987) | 1152 comments Mod
What are you reading, July 2017?

message 2: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1826 comments Mod
My Stroke of Insight A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey by Jill Bolte Taylor
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
(a 49 cent find @ Salvation Army)

The Top 500 Poems by William Harmon
The Top 500 Poems
(sporadically working on this 1,132-pager )

+ probably some SF, YA, and at least 1 more non-fiction title

message 3: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

StarMan wrote: "My Stroke of Insight A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey by Jill Bolte Taylor
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
(a 49 cent find @ Salvation Army)

[bookcover:..."

Looks like good selections, StarMan!

message 4: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

My best reading month so far this year was April; I can't believe I actually completed 6 books! That's awesome for me, because of course I am a Snail Reader (most of the time). I'm reading WAY TOO MANY books to list here but right now I'm working on:

1. Media Ethics: Cases and Moral Reasoning
Media Ethics Cases and Moral Reasoning by Clifford G. Christians
* For school, of course...halfway done; pretty good reading, actually

2. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter #3) by J.K. Rowling
* Glad to be back in the Potter-verse after a year-and-a-half absence! Had to return the audiobook last night and I'm already missing it.

3. Dark Matter
Dark Matter by Blake Crouch
* Listening to this for our JULY 2017 BOTM and waiting so my fiance can catch up. I told him about it and he said he'd try it. Fingers crossed that he doesn't groan afterward; heck, fingers crossed for me too! HOW ARE YOU ALL LIKING (OR NOT LIKING) IT?

4. Difficult Women
Difficult Women by Roxane Gay
* Have to break up the monotony of novels with a short story collection every now and then. Gay has been so hyped, that I have to see for myself what everyone is always talking about. Pretty decent so far--but brutal topics.

That's enough for now...see you in a few weeks to update!

message 5: by Bkwmlee (new)

Bkwmlee | 393 comments Looks like my June was your April, Allison! I was able to complete 6 books last month, which is my second best reading month so far this year (aside from the month of February when I also completed 6 books).

For July, I've got another busy reading month planned. Currently working through 3 books simultaneously, with 3 more already lined up to start soon and another 2 that I'm "hoping" to get to before the month is over. Luckily, all the books I'm reading this month are very different from each other, so there is some good variety thankfully.

Currently reading:

Those Who Save Us
Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum
Our quarterly read for the summer -- I haven't gotten very far yet but I like the book so far.

Reading with Patrick: A Teacher, a Student, and a Life-Changing Friendship
Reading with Patrick A Teacher, a Student, and a Life-Changing Friendship by Michelle Kuo
Received ARC several weeks ago but only got the chance to start it earlier this month. Excellent so far (happy to see this one on GR's "Best Books of July" list!)

The Sunshine Sisters
The Sunshine Sisters by Jane Green
Received ARC of this one as well -- this is my "beach read" for the summer...it's actually pretty well-written, though not as "light" as I thought it would be....

Upcoming reads (need to get to this month):

The Essex Serpent
The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry
Won this in a GR giveaway awhile back ago and it happened to get chosen as our BOTM for another one of my book clubs -- looking forward to reading this one!

The Glorious Heresies
The Glorious Heresies by Lisa McInerney
Promised to review this one a few weeks back but my review copy took forever to arrive, so just getting around to this one this month. Sounds like an interesting book and one that is very different from what I usually read, so let's see how this one turns out.

The Wildling Sisters
The Wildling Sisters by Eve Chase
ARC that I technically don't have to get to until next month but trying to avoid having to re-request it after my link expires so going to squeeze it in this month.

Books I'm "hoping" to get to this month:

Emma in the Night
Emma in the Night by Wendy Walker

Pen Pals
Pen Pals by Martin Gore

message 6: by Pien (new)

Pien | 446 comments Still chewing on
Norwegian Wood
It's hard to explain how I don't get through it but yet can't put it away. I guess I'm wondering if this book is actually this uneventful or building up to a big smashing blow of events. I definitely hope for the second option...

Then I'm waiting for my copy of
Dark Matter
I think it will be the Dutch version, but it might be English.

I also haven't finished a book about special friendships between dogs and men and different animals. My husband gave it as a present because we're looking forward to having a new flatcoated retriever pup at the end of this month.
(So then he can chew on Norwegian wood, in case the book stays like this)

Perhaps I have time for another book but nothing planned there yet.

message 7: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Currently, I'm reading Velva Jean Learns to Fly (finally got around to it!) and Tarot Basics. I'm sure some Snails probably think that Tarot is hoo-haa, but I've always had great experiences, and wanted to get into myself!

I also suppose that I'm still reading Gone with the Wind..but I haven't touched it since February... I wanted to finish it around August, and now I don't even know if I'll finish it this year! I can't believe it's July already.

Other than that, I'm not really sure. I've got a few books in mind, but right now, I'm just going with what I'm feeling at the moment!

message 8: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey I can't believe it's the last day of July! I finished Velva Jean Learns to Fly, and am almost finished with the third book in the series, Becoming Clementine. I also got to read more of Gone with the Wind, thankfully!

I'm actually going on vacation next week, so I'm hoping to finish Becoming Clementine by then. Other than that, August will probably be a slow read month for me, since I'll be away for a week. The end of summer is getting closer..

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.