Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

biblio • bliss (bookgirl1987) | 1152 comments Mod
With 4 votes (16.7%), we will be reading

Those Who Save Us

Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum

for Summer 2017 Quarterly Read

We'll be reading from today (May 30) to sometime in August (probably about the 18th).

ENJOY!

Kelsey I just started this last night! I don't like the fact that it has no quotation marks, and usually, I wouldn't even try reading a book that doesn't have them, but the story in this is intriguing, so I can look past it!

message 3: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

Kelsey wrote: "I just started this last night! I don't like the fact that it has no quotation marks, and usually, I wouldn't even try reading a book that doesn't have them, but the story in this is intriguing, so..."

Awesome, hope you enjoy it even without the punctuation! How odd...I don't know if I've ever seen a book without quotation marks! Should we start a discussion thread for this one?

Kelsey Allison wrote: "Kelsey wrote: "I just started this last night! I don't like the fact that it has no quotation marks, and usually, I wouldn't even try reading a book that doesn't have them, but the story in this is..."

I've only seen one other one, and it was actually worse than having no quotation marks! It was an historical fiction book based on an actual historical event, but it was written as if it was a play script. Something would be described, and then it would be,
Character 1: Says something but there's no quotations
Character 2: Responds.
It was so bizarre, and I found it to be unreadable. Thankfully I only spent $1 on it!

I don't know how many others are reading the book right now, but I would enjoy a thread!

message 5: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1807 comments Mod
I've only run across a handful of books with non-traditional punctuation (usually dialogue-related). This books sounds like a prime example!

Here's are 2 example lines from the book (per the Amazon preview):

Well, I thought it was a nice service, she says to Anna.

Did you make coffee? she asks, the first thing she has said to Anna since entering the house.

It doesn't bother me tremendously, but I still prefer tradtional quotation mark usage.

message 6: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

Kelsey wrote: "Allison wrote: "Kelsey wrote: "I just started this last night! I don't like the fact that it has no quotation marks, and usually, I wouldn't even try reading a book that doesn't have them, but the ..."

I'll put up a discussion thread in case we have some people wanting one!

message 7: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

Kelsey wrote: "Allison wrote: "Kelsey wrote: "I just started this last night! I don't like the fact that it has no quotation marks, and usually, I wouldn't even try reading a book that doesn't have them, but the ..."

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 8: by JJ (last edited Jun 15, 2017 11:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

JJ | 36 comments Can I join in on the discussion? I actually read the book about a month ago. I had voted on a different book for the quarterly read, but it didn't win. This book is fresh in my mind since it was only a month ago.

Kelsey JJ wrote: "Can I join in on the discussion? I actually read the book about a month ago. I had voted on a different book for the quarterly read, but it didn't win. This book is fresh in my mind since it was on..."

Of course! I'm only about 20 pages away from ending it, and then I'll be posting my thoughts on it, too :) (Though, it might not be until next week, because I'm going away this weekend).

message 10: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

JJ wrote: "Can I join in on the discussion? I actually read the book about a month ago. I had voted on a different book for the quarterly read, but it didn't win. This book is fresh in my mind since it was on..."

The more the merrier!