Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - added it

Angela | 3517 comments Mod
New buddy read starts 15th August.

message 2: by Hacen (new) - added it

Hacen | 881 comments Can't wait :)

message 3: by Samir (new)

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments I'll probably join you.

Chris  (haughtc) | 1603 comments I'll definitely discuss. Almost done with the sequel :)

message 5: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Jun 14, 2017 02:27PM) (new) - added it

Chris wrote: "I'll definitely discuss. Almost done with the sequel :)"

Fantastic Chris. It was you reading it and rating it so highly that made me keen to give it a go. Plus your great review. Any book that makes someone stay up into the wee hours is worth checking out. I don't usually read sci fi type books, so it'll be good to read a different genre for a change.

Chris  (haughtc) | 1603 comments Thanks for the words, Angela :)

It really didn't feel like Sci fi, so that might help.

message 7: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - added it

Chris wrote: "Thanks for the words, Angela :)

It really didn't feel like Sci fi, so that might help."

You're welcome Chris.

Shaitarn | 1862 comments By pure fluke I picked this up yesterday, so I'd like to join if that's okay!

message 9: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Jul 23, 2017 09:50PM) (new) - added it

Of course it's okay Shaitarn :-).

Kenan (sevly) | 35 comments Definitely want to read this one so tracking the thread, though I'll be joining late

Cheesu | 39 comments Definitely joining, got the book and ready to go.

message 12: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - added it

I'll be a couple of days late as need to finish Kings of Wyld first.

message 13: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 6907 comments Mod
I really, really want to throw all of my carefully laid reading plans out the window for this one. Alas, Stone Sky is happening on the same day. This one looks so good though!

message 14: by Jessica (last edited Aug 15, 2017 02:49AM) (new) - added it

Jessica (teajessie) | 2 comments Hi, I'm new here and I'd like to join in for this one, should I register somewhere?
I'm really not into Sci-fi either so I'm glad it doesn't seem to be "too sci-fi". :)

message 15: by Hacen (new) - added it

Hacen | 881 comments This reads like fanfic. Anybody else getting that vibe?

message 16: by Hacen (new) - added it

Hacen | 881 comments Jess wrote: "Hi, I'm new here and I'd like to join in for this one, should I register somewhere?
I'm really not into Sci-fi either so I'm glad it doesn't seem to be "too sci-fi". :)"

All you have to do is start reading and comment your thoughts along the way 😁

Cheesu | 39 comments Took me a day to read through this. It's a nice, simple read. I liked it, sets the scene for the rest of the series. There are a few times when it was a little too simple, and glossed over some things. But, not a bad read!

message 18: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 6907 comments Mod
Jess wrote: "Hi, I'm new here and I'd like to join in for this one, should I register somewhere?
I'm really not into Sci-fi either so I'm glad it doesn't seem to be "too sci-fi". :)"

Consider your comment a registration. :) Have fun with this read!

Shaitarn | 1862 comments At the moment for me Hail is just balancing on the fine tipping point between 'stubborn badass' and 'just stupidly stubborn and annoying'. Hopefully she won't tip any further into the latter.

message 20: by Hacen (new) - added it

Hacen | 881 comments Shaitarn wrote: "At the moment for me Hail is just balancing on the fine tipping point between 'stubborn badass' and 'just stupidly stubborn and annoying'. Hopefully she won't tip any further into the latter."

Agreed

Cheesu | 39 comments My main issue with Hail was that she sounds and acts really young, especially for a 38 year old space gangster.

message 22: by Hacen (new) - added it

Hacen | 881 comments Cheesu wrote: "My main issue with Hail was that she sounds and acts really young, especially for a 38 year old space gangster."

Exactly! I had to DNF this. She was so annoying.

Shaitarn | 1862 comments Cheesu wrote: "My main issue with Hail was that she sounds and acts really young, especially for a 38 year old space gangster."

I wonder if the author wanted to write an older main character (good!) but then ended up recycling the same young, brash lead that we seem to see a lot of (too much of?) these days?

I'm over 200 pages in, so I shall grimly soldier on to the end *strikes determined pose*. I have to say the 'bad' members of the imperial family are currently in the running for the 'most pathetically obvious inept villains I've read this year' award.

message 24: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - added it

I might put off reading this one. I'm late to the buddy read and I've not read a lot this week of the books I'm currently reading.

Cheesu | 39 comments You guys can do it! Know that I have complete faith that everyone can finish the book!
Whether or not everyone should finish it is a separate issue.

message 26: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments If you choose a later date I'll read it with you Angela. It's exam time for my kid so we have a lot to study hence less time to read these days. :(

Shaitarn | 1862 comments Finished - frustrating, because I felt there was a lot of potential that wasn't exploited, in my opinion. My biggest frustration is with the background: a space matriarchy based on Indian culture, but did anyone think the setting felt Indian? At all?

Don't get me wrong, it's a decent enough, solid story but not what it could have been.