Beta Reader Group discussion

Critique Partners and Swaps > seeking critique partner for Scifi-ish, Romance-ish completed trilogy

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Luralee (new)

Luralee | 56 comments Hello

I'm a fairly new writer, but I am used to critiques (I went to art school) and am comfortable both giving and taking constructive criticism, so I am not likely to insult you if you don't "get" my work. I'm looking for someone who can tell me what works and what doesn't in my manuscript, and also offer suggestions for how to make it better.

I read a lot of different genres, so I'm open to just about anything, no erotica please, or anything more explicit than, say, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

My manuscript is NA Science Fiction, but it has Romance, and Distopian elements too.
(an alternate future, a defunct human cloning laboratory, clones with unusual powers, a dash of time travel, and the antagonist is the MC's double from a different timeline)

I have been working on this trilogy for going on five years, now. It should be in pretty good shape. There is some adult content and violence, but nothing especially graphic.

message 2: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Gayden | 9 comments Hi Luralee,

Your story sounds interesting! I have a YA/NA Sci-fi manuscript that I would like to swap. Here's a blurb:

Aliya has been accepted into the Nathaniel Brooks Institute—one of the most selective high-tech colleges in the nation. At NBI, every student is pushed to be innovative, disciplined, and dedicated. NBI is the future and Aliya should be grateful to attend.

But that doesn’t mean she wants to go. If it were up to her, Aliya would stay closer to her home in the small town of Annona, Illinois. But since Nathaniel Brooks is her father, she doesn’t really have a choice.

A week before Aliya leaves for NBI, a deadly virus is released in Annona. With a safe place to go, Aliya is lucky to make it out before the quarantine. However, she can’t stop thinking about the virus devastating her hometown and everyone she left behind. As she struggles to focus on her studies and make new friends, Aliya can’t shake the feeling that something isn’t right at NBI. So when she discovers that her father has been keeping secrets, Aliya is determined to find out if he knows more about what’s happening in Annona than he lets on.

If you would be interested in swapping, let me know.

Chelsea

message 3: by Luralee (last edited Jun 20, 2017 12:34PM) (new)

Luralee | 56 comments Chelsea,

Yours sounds interesting too! How about we exchange the first few chapters and see how it goes?

LL