Horror Aficionados discussion

Book Recommendations > Novels about fictional cults/rituals

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 74 comments Alright, gang. Hit me with your best ritualistic/cult horror. I've read/own/heard of the basics, such as The Ritual, Last Days, Harvest Home, etc. I'm looking for some slightly more obscure recommendations. Folk rituals, satanic cults, religious sacrifice: I'm trying to read it all! (I have plenty of non-fiction books about cults on my TBR list, so I'm good on those ha.)

message 2: by Nickronomicon (last edited May 31, 2017 01:49PM) (new)

Nickronomicon | 157 comments Thanks for posting this question - this is my favorite sub-genre as well and surprisingly I have a hard time finding these kinds of novels. It's a hard description to Google to find good fiction.

Do you like Lovecraftian cults/horror? If so That Which Should Not Be is really good. I've got the sequel lined up to read next.

Laird Barron's The Croning is really good and some of his short story collections have some great cult-ish stories in them: Occultation and Other Stories, The Beautiful Thing That Awaits Us All: Stories, and The Imago Sequence and Other Stories. Once again, more Lovecraftian than maybe what you're looking for.

I also really liked Jonathan Janz's The Nightmare Girl.

Looking forward to seeing some great suggestions pop up here!

Mixofsunandcloud | 538 comments Rosemary's Baby probably fits in with the basics.

The Club Dumas has cults and devil worship and stuff. It's the book Ninth Gate with Johnny Depp was based on.

message 4: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11041 comments Mod
Melissa, i have no books to suggest but I'm going to steal the ones suggested! cults fascinate me. that fine line from doing good to going horribly wrong, that just intrigues me. real life cults, i mean but i like the fictional ones, too.

message 5: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2457 comments Perhaps Doctor Sleep would count.

message 6: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 6073 comments Mod
Agreeing with some of the above mentioned recommendations: The Nightmare Girl by Jonathan Janz , Jonathan Janz, and The Croning by Laird Barron , Laird Barron.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 875 comments You may like Children of Chaos - very good book

message 8: by Albert (last edited Jun 04, 2017 08:25AM) (new)

Albert | 443 comments Not sure if you're up for Bizarro Horror, but the preview for Cattle Cult! Kill! Kill! by M.P. Johnson sounds interesting. I bought it but haven't read it yet.

message 9: by Kasey (new)

Kasey Ashton (tattooedreader13) I really enjoyed The Straw Men by Michael Marshall. not necessarily a horror cult book, more on the thriller mystery side of things, but a fun read with a definite cult element.

message 10: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3646 comments Angel Manor by Chantal Noordeloos and COVENANT by Wade Joseph Le Fevre

These two books were really good and scary! I just finished reading Angel Manor and it was excellent and Covenant was so spooky when I read it about 2 years ago that it gave me the willies for awhile.

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 74 comments Thanks for all the recs, everyone! Please keep them coming!

Oh, and sidenote (which will probably get me kicked out of this group haha): I'm really not that big on Lovecraftian horror, so any cult stories by or influenced by him are really not my cup of tea.

I don't know if anyone has played the game Outlast 2, or watched the segment called 'Safe Haven' from V/H/S 2, but those are two examples of cults I'd LOVE to find in fictional books.

message 12: by Latasha (new)

I haven't seen or played either of those. Now I'll have to look up the VHS one.

message 13: by Nickronomicon (new)

Nickronomicon | 157 comments Melissa, seems we similar tastes (though I will overlook your dislike of Lovecraftian horror - haha) in that this is exactly the kind of horror I am constantly in search of as well. That short from VHS 2 was really good. I also liked the last short from the first VHS.

These novels have to be out there, why are they so hard to find?

message 14: by Carmilla (new)

Carmilla Voiez | 14 comments Adam Nevill's Last Days

message 15: by Mixofsunandcloud (new)

Mixofsunandcloud | 538 comments I would have said the short from V/H/S 2 is somewhat lovecraftian, if it's the one I'm thinking of.

message 16: by Latasha (new)

Carmilla wrote: "Adam Nevill's Last Days"

yes, that was a good one and scary, too.

message 17: by Gordon (new)

Gordon | 63 comments I like these types of stories too. The Place Called Dagon, Manly Wade Wellman's John Thunstone stories, The Ballad of Tom Black, Algernon Blackwood's short stories (John Silence), The Demonologist: The Extraordinary Career of Ed and Lorraine Warren was quite a fun read, Conjure Wife...

message 18: by David (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) | 1612 comments Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "You may like Children of Chaos - very good book"

This. Great book!

message 19: by Crowinator (new)

Crowinator | 92 comments If you're open to YA, Kim Liggett's novel The Last Harvest is all about devil worship and it's pretty intense.

message 21: by Latasha (new)

thanks for the suggestions Ken!