SQHS Sci-Fi/Fantasy 2017 discussion

The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl from Everywhere, #1)
This topic is about The Girl from Everywhere
Travel, adventures, and a touch of magic!

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Audrey (last edited May 30, 2017 04:34PM) (new)

Audrey Limbach | 9 comments The Girl From Everywhere - Heidi Heilig
Reviewed by Audrey Limbach

There are three main characters in the book The Girl from Everywhere. The first is Nix. She is 16 years old, an only child, and lives with her dad. She is a very strong, smart, and independent character who loves to read, but also had a side of guilt and regret that she continuously holds onto throughout the story. The next is Nix’s dad, Slate. He is from modern day New York City and is the captain of his ship, The Temptation. The third is Kashmir. He was a Persian thief who joined the crew on The Temptation and has been a part of it for two years now. The setting of this book starts out all over the world, bouncing around places, but eventually ends up settling in Honolulu, Hawaii. The central conflict of the story is the death of Nix’s mother. She died while giving birth to Nix, and ever since, Slate has always hoped to get her back. Nix, along with her father and other crew members, are capable of time traveling on their ship through maps that they acquire from various people and places. These maps bring them to an exact location and time, but… SPOILER ALERT!... they can only be used once, and if you have been to a place you can’t go there again. Nix’s father has been searching for the map of 1868 Hawaii that could reunite him with his long-lost wife, but possibly erase the existence of his only daughter, Nix.

I overall really loved the ideas and concepts of this book! The connections to Hawaii, and loads of adventure/travel packed into this book really drove my enthusiasm for the story. One fascinating thing about the plot was that it has a very accurate portrayal of them time and setting that was taking in the place in the book. Although it was a bit unclear at times, especially the concept of how the time travel worked, the plot was quite organized and flowed relatively smoothly. Nix’s character development was the focal point out of all the other characters, but I must say that she constantly blamed herself for her mother’s death which really took away from the other important aspects of the plot when new action was brought upon others. Heilig’s writing style really brought me into a new world through showing me (and hopefully other readers) things very visually by using many senses that came through very clearly. Another thing I really loved about this book was the strong female lead. This is being seen increasingly throughout books (The Hunger Games series, the Divergent series, etc.) and it’s great to know that it’s not just the prince that’s saving the princess anymore. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves and easy read, but one that will last them a while. The pace is quite slow at the beginning and takes a while to get into, but once it picks up, the action and adventure flourish!

message 2: by Brayden (new)

Brayden Charette | 10 comments This book seems quite interesting. I like the plot line and will have to give this book a try, is it a hard read? Is it a long read?

message 3: by Mitchell (new)

Mitchell | 9 comments This sounds like such a fun read! If you enjoyed the time travel aspect, then another series you might enjoy is the Time Riders series.

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura Cornwell | 8 comments this sounds like a fun and interesting book. I like the nautical aspect of their life.

message 5: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Hovater | 7 comments The book sounds good but time travel plots can be a real brain twister. I hope that Nix would have to save Kashmir from a situation created by his own greed.