Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

June 2017: Ghost Bride > Questions for our 7/4 8pm PST hangout HERE!

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (last edited May 30, 2017 01:29PM) (new)

Felicia (feliciaday) | 740 comments Mod
Post your questions for our VERONICA PICK MONTH! Ghost Bride! Tune in 6/27 at 8pm HERE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uxaI...

message 2: by Hazwan (new)

Hazwan Shamsul | 2 comments As a Malaysian, I have to ask: Does the local references (with or without the author's explanation) seems to alienate western readers?

message 3: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacyrasberry) | 12 comments What would be the one must have thing you'd want to be burned for you to have in your afterlife?

message 4: by Brynda (new)

Brynda (geekkitty) | 15 comments If your spirit were separated from your body, where's the first place you'd go in your spirit form? Would you spy on anyone?

message 5: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 43 comments What would your ideal afterlife look like?

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Benoit (theliteraryluminary) | 23 comments I think any of our 18-year-old selves would say yes to the proposal of a super hot dragon man, but realistically, which proposal would you have chosen with your current life experience?

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (j-boo) | 182 comments Oh, and does it bother any of you how often authors imply that a character's hat completely hides their entire face from sight? Like, if that's true, you're wearing your hat wrong.

message 8: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (j-boo) | 182 comments What would you do if faced with Li Lan's choice at the end of the book? Marry Tian Bai and live out a life with him and family until you're the only one left, then meet back up with Er Lang? Or just be with Er Lang from the get go?

message 9: by Lani (new)

Lani Winskye | 1 comments What do you think was keeping Li Lan from returning to her body when she first leaves it? I don't feel this was really answered. It is certainly Fan later, but what are your ideas on why she couldn't return the first few times she tries?

message 10: by retro (new)

retro (retrooo) What do you make of the emphasis on characters' looks in this book? Both Tian Bai and Er Lang are described as being very attractive whereas Li Lan's ghostly suitor is described as 'plump with a weak chin and a smattering of acne scars.' Do you think she would've been less unwilling to marry Lim Tian Ching if he were good-looking?

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (j-boo) | 182 comments retro wrote: "What do you make of the emphasis on characters' looks in this book? Both Tian Bai and Er Lang are described as being very attractive whereas Li Lan's ghostly suitor is described as 'plump with a we..."

Along the same vein, I also noted how Li Lan's "competition" to become Tian Bai's wife was described as "horse faced".

message 12: by Melissa (last edited Jun 24, 2017 11:25PM) (new)

Melissa | 4 comments What did you think of the author's homage to traditional Chinese ghost stories with the unresolved ending? Do you think Li Lan chickened out or do you think she went with the dragon?

message 13: by Gary (last edited Jun 26, 2017 05:43PM) (new)

Gary What is your Ghost in the Shell casting for the inevitable Hollywood white-washing adaptation? That is, who do you think some idiot H-woodland casting agent would put in any of the roles?

My picks:

La-la-la... Li Lan: Chloë Grace Moretz. Yeah, man, Hit-Girl. Because Hit-Girl.

Oh, me! Oh, my! Amah: Maggie Smith (Downton Abbey, Harry Potter movies, etc.)

Tian "Bye-Bye" Bai: Ashton Kutcher. (Because apparently some people think he's attractive and believable as a human being who talks. I don't know why, but they do. They give him lines and everything. I don't know why, but they do. Whatever quality that is has got to translate well into whatever quality it is that makes TB attractive for no reason.)

Lim "Slim" Tian Ching: Jonah Hill. (He's looking kind of svelte these days, though. Might have to give that boy some donuts.)

Derp, da-derp, derp, Er Lang: Keanu Reeves. (Now, this is kinda cheating given my own "White-wash Casting" here because the Reeve-meister is mixed. (According to Spit In This... It's DNA Science dot com, I'm 26% Asian/Pacific Islander myself, so don't get all, "uh, 'mixed' isn't nice, dude" on me (though, I appreciate the thought)) but I'm going with it because there's a weird Matrix-y quality to the Spirit World thing and also he'd wear a mask, so I wouldn't have to watch too much of his, "Whoa...." acting, and most of the rest would be CGI.)

Horse faced girl: Sarah Jessica Parker (of course...)

Ghost Mom: Debra Jo Rupp (Kitty Forman also from That 70s Show which I didn't watch, BTW. It's a co-inky-dink that I mentioned the Kutch.)

Talky-talk Fan: Felicia Day. (What? Don't even act like that isn't an inspired choice here. I was going to say Veronica Belmont—after all, she already has the hair cut—but I was all, like, "Dude, be professional....")

Pocked Daddy: James Woods (if someone can get him to stop yelling conspiracy theories at his furniture or whatever the hell it is he does these days.)

message 14: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Lambert | 29 comments What funeral offerings should we burn for you? It's never too early to start.

Sun Goddess Moon Witch | 5 comments What did you think about the life of Chinese women being so heavily tied to men, that it was considered acceptable for a poverty stricken girl to marry a wealthy dead man?

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura (theloudlady) | 180 comments If you had a dragon familiar what color would it be?

message 17: by Sean Lookielook (new)

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 916 comments Mod
Hi everyone. Sorry, but the hangout scheduled for June 27th had to be moved to July 4th due to a sick puppy. Same time and link as before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uxaI...

message 18: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Kitson | 68 comments Speaking of a film adaption, who would you choose as a director?

I'd pick between Ang Lee and Guillermo Del Toro

message 19: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (calijonathan) Do we really want to reschedule to a major holiday? I have to extend my regrets but like much of America, I have conflicting plans for Independence Day.

message 20: by Alisha (last edited Jun 29, 2017 09:25PM) (new)

Alisha | 2 comments In response to what Retro & Jessica wrote: "What do you make of the emphasis on characters' looks in this book?" and "Li Lan's competition was described as 'Horse Faced.'"

I was bothered by the word choices as well. The book dives straight from emphasis on her father's looks not mattering, to describing others in a very physically judgmental way, and caps off with Li Lan's realization of her previous disinterest in her own appearance. In the end I wrote it off as her growing up and getting to know herself better.

It's understandable that she feel attracted to Er Lang on a physical level, but the mental connection is what sold their romance for me. In the end I really enjoyed it, but Li Lan did seem like she was painting herself in a slightly better light than "those other people who care about looks" in her own mind and then realized she did care.

Did this book have a superficial moral?

message 21: by Matthew (last edited Jul 03, 2017 01:43PM) (new)

Matthew Kitson | 68 comments If someone had posessed your body and was flirting with your significant other, would you be able to get over that when you returned?

message 22: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin How would you react if your fiance didn't realize that someone else had taken control of your body?