This topic is about Fangirl
Book of the Month -- 2016 & 2017 > June 2017 BOTM: "Fangirl" by Rainbow Rowell

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

biblio • bliss (bookgirl1987) | 1152 comments Mod
Winning with 9 votes (39.1%), the June 2017 BOTM is: Fangirl
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
by Rainbow Rowell! Hope everyone enjoys it! ;-)

This book will carry us through June and for those of you who finish books quickly (and early) feel free to try
Carry On
Carry On by Rainbow Rowell
by Rainbow Rowell!

ENJOY YOUR SUMMER READING and discussions will be up soon!

Anne Bradshaw I will try and read this, but I can't make any promises. It isn't the title that most appealed, I must admit, but I'm keeping an open mind until I've tried it.

message 3: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

Anne wrote: "I will try and read this, but I can't make any promises. It isn't the title that most appealed, I must admit, but I'm keeping an open mind until I've tried it."

Anne, I am with you on this one. I tried it about 2 years ago and just wasn't into it. I might try it again later but it's not for me right now. I think I'd rather try some of her novels for adults, like "Attachments." I've heard good things about that one. No worries if you try it and quit...there's no obligations in our group to finish ANY book!

Kelsey I started this book last night, and unfortunately, it might be a DNF for me. It had been on my TBR for a very long time, and I might have enjoyed it more if I had read it back then, when I was in college, but I find the main character to be super annoying. I'll try getting farther into it, because I want to like it, but we'll see what happens!

Anne Bradshaw Allison wrote: "Anne wrote: "I will try and read this, but I can't make any promises. It isn't the title that most appealed, I must admit, but I'm keeping an open mind until I've tried it."

Anne, I am with you on..."

Cheers, Allison. That's good to know!

I've started reading it on Amazon, where you can use the 'look inside' option, and I'm actually really enjoying it so far.

Sorry to hear you aren't getting into it, Kelsey. It seems to be one of those love it or hate it type of reads I think.

Jennifer Perry | 29 comments I'm on page 135 now. I've read and enjoyed Rainbow's "Attachments" and so far I'm enjoying this read (not without criticism but I vow to keep an open mind).

message 7: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

Kelsey wrote: "I started this book last night, and unfortunately, it might be a DNF for me. It had been on my TBR for a very long time, and I might have enjoyed it more if I had read it back then, when I was in c..."

Same here, Kelsey!

message 8: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

Anne wrote: "Allison wrote: "Anne wrote: "I will try and read this, but I can't make any promises. It isn't the title that most appealed, I must admit, but I'm keeping an open mind until I've tried it."

Anne, ..."

Yes, my impression was "love or hate it," probably little middle ground. Good luck to those who are enjoying it!

message 9: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

Jennifer wrote: "I'm on page 135 now. I've read and enjoyed Rainbow's "Attachments" and so far I'm enjoying this read (not without criticism but I vow to keep an open mind)."

Whew, that's good news that you enjoyed "Attachments" because that's the next Rainbow Rowell book I'd like to try! Glad you're liking the book!

Bkwmlee | 375 comments I started it too and so far, I neither like nor dislike it (though I'm probably not far enough into it yet to make a determination). I guess I'm trying to keep an open mind as well, but with the way this book is written, I'm finding that I have to go dig up (and dust off, lol) my "teenager" hat and put it on when I'm reading so I don't get annoyed at some stuff (of course, it's harder to do this after reading so many "adult" books the past couple months). I probably won't DNF it though, since I prefer to finish books once I've started them -- unless somehow I absolutely hate the book and can't find any redeeming qualities to it (not sure at this point). I noticed the book is quite long though (462 pages in Kindle?) -- yikes! I guess we'll have to see how it goes....

Mandy (mandapanda_) | 2 comments This was my first introduction to Rainbow Rowell's books and I'm happy to say that I enjoyed it, minus the Simon and Baz fanfiction part (not sure if I cared about that very much). But it definitely got me interested in reading Eleanor & Park and Attachments. I probably won't get to them though until I get through some other books I plan on reading first.

Hannah | 35 comments There were a few things that bugged me about this book, but overall, I really enjoyed it. The narrators for the audiobook are good if you want to try it that way!

message 13: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1806 comments Mod
Bkwmlee wrote: "...I'm finding that I have to go dig up (and dust off, lol) my "teenager" hat and put it on when I'm reading so I don't get annoyed at some stuff..."

That's kind of my approach to YA books, also. I sort of have to be in the mood to read them... usually when I temporarily want something lighter, after too many crime or serious SF titles. As long as there aren't too many TSTL or completely unrealistic characters, I usually finish the book.

message 14: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Bradshaw Finished this a couple of days ago, and despite my initial misgivings, I really enjoyed it!
Great, wholly believable, dialogue; convincing characters; and a very relatable plot for anyone who has ever felt stuck on the outside, a book 'nerd', while the rest of the world partys on.
I wasn't enamoured with the Baz/Simon sections, and I won't be reading 'Carry On', the spin-off from this work, but I may well look up some more Rainbow Rowell books in the library.
So four stars from me, and thanks for the BOTM, whoever chose it!

Bkwmlee | 375 comments Anne wrote: "Finished this a couple of days ago, and despite my initial misgivings, I really enjoyed it!
Great, wholly believable, dialogue; convincing characters; and a very relatable plot for anyone who has ..."

I’m almost done with the book and I have similar sentiments as you, Anne. The book was better than I thought it would be and I found myself enjoying some parts more than I thought I would (some parts actually WERE cheesy though, but given this is a YA book, it was expected). The characters were also well-developed and believable, written in a way that made them endearing. The parts I didn’t care for however were the Simon Snow sections – I’m sure there is a reason why Rowell opened each chapter with an excerpt from Simon Snow but I honestly was not interested (maybe if it wasn’t a vampire story I would be more interested? I’m just not into the whole magic / fantasy / vampire thing)….to me, it was a distraction that I found unnecessary (same goes with the long Simon Snow fanfiction passages that Cath read to Levi throughout the book). With that said though, I do applaud Rowell for addressing the whole concept of fanfiction itself and incorporating the debate over fanfiction vs fiction via Cath’s struggles in her fiction writing class – I actually thought it was kind of clever! I’m hovering between a 3 and 3.5 rating at the moment with another 60 pages or so left to read….let’s see how the ending turns out, as that will likely be the determining factor for me in terms of final rating.

message 16: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Bradshaw Great comment, bkwmlee, and very fair assessment of the fanfic question. My daughter has written some Harry Potter fanfic herself, and so I had some awareness of it, but I never realised how all-consuming or how controversial it was before reading this book! I don't think I'll be visiting the forums myself, but it gave me added insight, which was good.
However, I did find the passages on writing really interesting and well incorporated into the main storyline. But that may be because I struggle with writing myself, so I could easily relate to Cath. I *hated* Nick for the way he used Cath and found that part of the story was handled well too.
I'll be interested to hear what you think of the ending!

Bkwmlee | 375 comments Thanks, Anne! I just finished the book and posted up my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I actually didn't like the ending and I explain why in my review. Overall, this book was enjoyable though so I don't regret reading it, however I don't intend to rush off and read more of Rainbow Rowell's books now.

Jennifer Perry | 29 comments Just finished this today! I really liked it at 4 stars, I enjoy Rowell's writing style and the plot/characters of the book. Like some of you I did find the Simon/baz snipbits interrupting to the flow of the book, even while being interested in what Cath was writing in "Carry On". I think I'll read Carry On, mostly because I want to know how Cath ends it! I wish we had more of Caths final assignment- I want to read that!

Kelsey Unfortunately, this is going to be a DNF for me. I tried to like it, and tried getting to at least 100 pages, but I have no desire to even pick the book up again. I forced myself to read it last time!

I think that I would have liked this when I was younger, maybe around junior/senior year of high school, or freshman year of college. Now, at almost 24, (I know! Still super young!) I don't really want to read about college. By the time senior year rolled around for me, I wanted to leave. I was over it! This book brought me back to freshman year, the first half of which was god awful, and I just don't have interest in revisiting that part of my (or anyone else's) life.

I do have to say though, it's clear that Rowell is a good writer, and knows her characters very well!