Colleen Houck Book Club discussion

Reunited (Reawakened, #3)
This topic is about Reunited
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past Chats > Reunited Chat with Colleen Houck

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Colleen Houck | 1525 comments Mod
Welcome to the chat! Colleen will be answering questions during the month of September 2017. One lucky person who asks a question anytime between now and then will win a Reawakened prize pack!

Ashley | 78 comments If you could describe Reunited in one word what word would that be?

Ashley | 78 comments What is one of your favorite books that changed your life?

message 4: by Sophia (new) - added it

Sophia Ejercito (beyondapage) | 2 comments What inspired you to base the series in Egypt? And what made you interested in the mythology?

message 5: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 16 comments What was most challenging about writing this series?
What was most rewarding?
Most fun/exciting/(dare I say) fun....?

message 6: by Sadie (new)

Sadie | 2 comments What's your motivation or inspiration to write? What got you started?

Yara (yaratr) | 5 comments I LOVED Reignited! Are you planning to write additional short stories/ novellas/ novels in this world with other main characters in the future like you did with Isis? I'd love to see what happens to Hassan before/ during/ after Lily's adventures, or a story from Amon's point of view (especially when he's apart from Lily). And without giving spoilers, to see what happens with the characters after Reunited is over.

message 8: by Milena (last edited Aug 16, 2017 01:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Milena (love_tea78) Did you know from the beginning how the series would end?

message 9: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Heistand | 11 comments Do you have a favorite character in Reunited?

message 10: by Trudy (new)

Trudy Dalton (trudyjeanne7) | 63 comments When you finish a series, does it break your heart like it does the reader's? What's the hardest part of finishing a series?

Yay! It's that time. If you haven't finished the Reawakened series yet, you might want to stop here and read the rest of this discussion after you do.

Ashley wrote: "If you could describe Reunited in one word what word would that be?"

I think the best word would be...otherworldly. You'd think mythology would be the first word but really I spend so little time on Earth in this series, it ends up being quite an Otherworldly adventure. =)

Ashley wrote: "What is one of your favorite books that changed your life?"

I'd have to say the book that has impacted my life the most was Twilight. It's the book that started me writing and it will always have a special place for me because of that. I learned to love books when I was young though. I read all the books in The Black Stallion series when I was a third or fourth grader. I even read Moby Dick when I was in elementary school. I don't remember much about it but I did read it faithfully.

Louise wrote: "Will the feline goddess Baste make an appearance in this novel and does the destroyer have any connection to that particular character?"

Baste does not make an appearance in this series, though, she probably exists in that world. The Devourer is based on the part hippo, part lion, part human creature that eats hearts in the Egyptian afterlife. Other than the claws, there isn't much of a connection between the two.

Sophia wrote: "What inspired you to base the series in Egypt? And what made you interested in the mythology?"

I'm interested in all sorts of mythologies. I always loved stories and trying to figure out the big picture, how all the gods and goddesses worked together. I suppose it's like an epic television series with lots of characters. I credit my love of mythology with my old middle school English teacher. She had posters of all the gods and goddesses in Greek mythology on her walls. They covered every inch of the room and I spend a year staring at them and daydreaming. I suppose my love of mythology (and burly men) started there.

Joanna wrote: "What was most challenging about writing this series?
What was most rewarding?
Most fun/exciting/(dare I say) fun....?"

The most challenging thing about this series was getting my publisher to agree to three novels. Series are hard sells these days but I love them. I like giving myself the freedom to wrap things up a few books down the line. The most rewarding thing for me is to see them in print. These books are beautiful! If you have a hardback and look at the books without the dust jacket, you'll see what I mean. Gorgeous. The most fun part of this series was doing the launch parties. I have a dress that matches each book cover. I love dressing up for those and giving out prizes to my readers. Such fun!

Sadie wrote: "What's your motivation or inspiration to write? What got you started?"

I started writing after I read Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer. It was six long months until Breaking Dawn and I just loved the feeling of being in love with a character. It was around New Years and I always thought I'd like to write a book one day, so I sat down and started outlining Tiger's Curse. I finished that book the same day Breaking Dawn came out, which was really weird. I haven't looked back since. Writing is in my blood, it seems.

Yara wrote: "I LOVED Reignited! Are you planning to write additional short stories/ novellas/ novels in this world with other main characters in the future like you did with Isis? I'd love to see what happens t..."

Thank you! I really liked exploring Reignited and I think you won't really know everything that's going down in the series without it. I like writing novellas. They're quick and fun. I'd have to have a good story to tell though and something with romance. Romance is a must for any of my stories. If you like reading short pieces, I have quite a few on my website. I think they're on my blog under a section called bonus material.

Milena wrote: "Did you know from the beginning how the series would end?"

Yes and no. Sometimes characters surprise me. I wasn't so sure about the twist at the end until I got there. When it came to Seth, I knew there were only two choices and I went with the one. I also didn't think my fairy would fall for Ahmose. I originally intended him for Tia, but Tia thought differently.

Melissa wrote: "Do you have a favorite character in Reunited?"

It has to be Tia. I love the voice of the lioness. Ashleigh is fun but Tia has such a strong personality. She just leaps off the page ;)

Trudy wrote: "When you finish a series, does it break your heart like it does the reader's? What's the hardest part of finishing a series?"

It's so hard to let go of characters. I can't even describe how difficult it is. That is especially true when its a series. But then I can go back and read and visit them again. I've cried at the end of both of my series. It's been tough to let them go, but I think I've left them in a good place, so I'm okay when it comes down to it.

Thanks everyone for this awesome Q & A! If you missed out on asking a question, there is a general Ask Colleen discussion you can use. Otherwise, my next book specific chat will be on Tiger's Dream.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.