Cozy Mysteries discussion

Featured Cozy Authors > Featured Author - June 2017 - Julie Hyzy

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 17390 comments Mod
From her website:

Julie Hyzy's very first job had her flipping burgers and chopping onions at a neighborhood hot dog stand. She traded that experience for a job as a singing waitress at Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour -- but gave that up when she started college (and because she couldn't carry a tune).

Over the years, she's acted in community theater productions, appeared in television commercials, and crashed a previously all-male fraternity to become one of the first female brothers in Loyola University's Chapter of Delta Sigma Pi. Julie had dreams of becoming a writer, but family, friends, and frat brothers convinced her otherwise. Having held positions as junior officer at a downtown bank, office manager at an architectural firm, and financial advisor at a prestigious wealth management company, she realizes that the business degree was probably a good choice -- but fiction is truly her passion. Now, with some well-earned life experience behind her, she's delighted to finally be able to make writing a priority in her life.

White House Chef series:

State of the Onion
Hail to the Chef
Eggsecutive Orders
Buffalo West Wing
Affairs of Steak
Fonduing Fathers
Home of the Braised
All the President's Menus
Foreign Éclairs

Manor House Mystery series:

Grace Under Pressure
Grace Interrupted
Grace Among Thieves
Grace Takes Off
Grace Against the Clock
Grace Cries Uncle
Grace Sees Red
Grace to the Finish (June 27, 2017)

Other titles include:

Deadly Blessings
Deadly Interest
Artistic License
Deadly Shorts
Playing with Matches
The Cozy Cookbook

Visit Julie Online:
Blog: http://juliehyzy.blogspot.com/

message 2: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3823 comments Mod
I read in the beginning some of her books and I liked it but later... I'll try it again to see if I recover the liking.

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7210 comments I'll be reading Buffalo West Wing next month. I really enjoy the White House mysteries. I've also read the first in the manor house mysteries and enjoyed it as well.

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments I really liked the White House Chef series, though was somewhat underwhelmed with the final one. I have the first of the Manor House books, so will try and get it read in June.

message 5: by Aymee (new)

Aymee (asphaltcowgrrl) I ordered two of her books this weekend, but I've never read anything of hers before.

message 6: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 579 comments I haven't read any of her books I will look for one to read. Not her white house series. I have a problem about reading books with the white house background. Reason I haven't read Margaret Truman's books

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim (beachmeezer) | 4 comments I was a big fan of the White House Chef mysteries and was so disappointed when that series was canceled. I highly recommend them. For some reason I'm not as big a fan of the Grace/Manor house mysteries.

message 8: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 579 comments I checked out the manor house mysteries and know why I haven't read any of her books. The ebook cost is more than I am will I g to pay for a new author as I have so many others that I like and my book allowance only goes so far.

message 9: by MarieBL (new)

MarieBL Broussard-Landry (marie_broussard-landry) | 350 comments I started early for the June Featured Author, and have already read STATE OF THE ONION! I had recently moved it to the top of my TBR List, then saw the White House Chef mysteries were featured this month. I enjoyed it and plan to read more in the series. :)
State of the Onion (A White House Chef Mystery, #1) by Julie Hyzy

message 10: by Nell (last edited Jun 03, 2017 09:59AM) (new)

Nell | 1154 comments Geri wrote: "Hi...I am new to the group. I will be reading the books for June. New author for me. I am having trouble finding the discussion boards for the books. Are they not up yet? Or am I missing something?..."

You are Here! This IS the discussion thread for the featured author's books.

message 11: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

I've only read one of the White House Chef books thus far, and have read a few of the Manor House Books. I started Grace Cries Uncle last night and am already halfway through. I'm hoping to have time this month to pick up Hail to the Chef as well.

message 12: by MarieBL (new)

MarieBL Broussard-Landry (marie_broussard-landry) | 350 comments Heather L wrote: "I've only read one of the White House Chef books thus far, and have read a few of the Manor House Books. I started Grace Cries Uncle last night and am already halfway through. I'm h..."

HAIL TO THE CHEF is my next to read; I love that series! :)

message 13: by Barb (new)

Barb | 918 comments It's one of my favorite cozy series, but I'm hesitant to read the next book because I only have two left before the series ends. I know, it's weird, what can I say? :)

message 14: by Nell (new)

Nell | 1154 comments I have one left in the White House Chef series and have delayed reading it too! It's like I don't want to accept the end. She is still writing the Grace/Manor House series and I have several to read to catch up with that series.

message 15: by Aymee (new)

Aymee (asphaltcowgrrl) Barb & Nell: I totally get that. I feel this way every time James Patterson releases a new Women's Murder Club book. It's my favorite series of his and we're at 16 now... how much longer can this go on?

I did order both State of the Onion and Grace Under Pressure and hope to start reading them both soon.

message 16: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Varrenti | 5 comments Hello! I have read all of Julie's books and have enjoyed them. I pre-ordered the next manor house mystery and cannot wait to read it. Her stories are fun and easy reads.

message 17: by Barb (new)

Barb | 918 comments Aymee wrote: "Barb & Nell: I totally get that. I feel this way every time James Patterson releases a new Women's Murder Club book. It's my favorite series of his and we're at 16 now... how much longer can this go on?"

Well, look at Sue Grafton and Janet Evanovich -- or J.D. Robb! There are more than 40 books in the In Death series :)

message 18: by Barb (new)

Barb | 918 comments Nell wrote: "I have one left in the White House Chef series and have delayed reading it too! It's like I don't want to accept the end. "
Exactly!

She is still writing the Grace/Manor House series and I have several to read to catch up with that series.
Yeah, I've been reading that series too, but I don't enjoy it quite as much as the White House Chef series, and I'm not really sure why.

message 19: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments I got a newsletter from her the other day. The Grace Under Pressure series is ending, too. This one was her choice.

message 20: by Aymee (new)

Aymee (asphaltcowgrrl) Barb wrote: "Well, look at Sue Grafton and Janet Evanovich -- or J.D. Robb! There are more than 40 books in the In Death series :) "

I love Sue Grafton and JE, but haven't read J. D. Robb. I know what you mean though. But when the series hits double digits, you start wondering which one might be the last.

message 21: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviapischel) | 11 comments Geri wrote: "Hi...I am new to the group. I will be reading the books for June. New author for me. I am having trouble finding the discussion boards for the books. Are they not up yet? Or am I missing something?..."

Thanks for asking this question. I am also new and was having the same trouble. I guess there is just a single board for all discussions and you have to look for the thread you want. It's a bit confusing.

message 22: by Barb (new)

Barb | 918 comments Melodie wrote: "I got a newsletter from her the other day. The Grace Under Pressure series is ending, too. This one was her choice."

Oh no! I thought I was on her email list, but I guess not. Will she still be writing at all, or didn't she say?

message 23: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 451 comments I find that I like the White House Chef series better than the Manor series. I have read the WHC up to Foreign Eclairs which is on the top of my pile near my reading chair. Didn't realize the series has ended.

I've just finished Grace Takes Off. Was okay but not in a rush to get the next one. I guess there won't be many more in that series according to Melodie.

message 24: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 451 comments Aymee wrote: "Barb wrote: "Well, look at Sue Grafton and Janet Evanovich -- or J.D. Robb! There are more than 40 books in the In Death series :) "

I love Sue Grafton and JE, but haven't read J. D. Robb. I know ..."

I love the JD Robb series but am so far behind I don't think I'll ever catch up. I have several Graftons on my shelf but want to read her from the beginning--A is for --got tired of Evanovich.

message 25: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 451 comments Betty wrote: "I haven't read any of her books I will look for one to read. Not her white house series. I have a problem about reading books with the white house background. Reason I haven't read Margaret Truman'..."

I've read all of Truman's books--they are set in Washington DC but not in the White House.

message 26: by Aymee (new)

Aymee (asphaltcowgrrl) Katherine wrote: "Aymee wrote: "Barb wrote: "Well, look at Sue Grafton and Janet Evanovich -- or J.D. Robb! There are more than 40 books in the In Death series :) "

I love Sue Grafton and JE, but haven't read J. D...."

Hah - that's part of the reason why I'm so hesitant to start the In Death series. I'll never finish! I'm doing the same with Sue Grafton - read several out of order when I was younger but am going back and reading them in order now. Plus, I grew up in the 80's so it's an interesting look back at a time I didn't pay much attention to, if that makes sense. The Plum books are still good, but they're not like they used to be for sure.

message 27: by Barb (new)

Barb | 918 comments Katherine wrote: "I love the JD Robb series but am so far behind I don't think I'll ever catch up. I have several Graftons on my shelf but want to read her from the beginning--A is for..."

I'm with you on the In Death series, I think I'm up to book #6 LOL I got in on the Grafton series early, so for years now, I've been not-so-patiently waiting for the next book to come out. Y is for Yesterday comes out in August (I think?), then I'll have to wait again for Z.

message 28: by Aymee (new)

Aymee (asphaltcowgrrl) Barb wrote: "Katherine wrote: "I love the JD Robb series but am so far behind I don't think I'll ever catch up. I have several Graftons on my shelf but want to read her from the beginning--A is for..."

I'm wit..."

Has Sue Grafton said what she'll do once she hits Z?

message 29: by Barb (new)

Barb | 918 comments Since she's 77 years old now, I'm guessing she'll stop writing? After 26 books with the same characters, I think it would be hard to write stand alones or even start another series, but who knows?

message 30: by Barb (new)

Barb | 918 comments Sorry, Heather, should we take the non-Hyzy discussions elsewhere, so we can keep this thread on topic?

message 31: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Barb wrote: "Melodie wrote: "I got a newsletter from her the other day. The Grace Under Pressure series is ending, too. This one was her choice."

Oh no! I thought I was on her email list, but I guess not. Will..."

She says she will, but she's deciding right now just what she wants to write. While she loves cozies, she says it may be something darker. The coming Grace book is the last one.

message 32: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Katherine wrote: "Betty wrote: "I haven't read any of her books I will look for one to read. Not her white house series. I have a problem about reading books with the white house background. Reason I haven't read Ma..."

I read some of the Margaret Truman books some years back. I liked them. As you said, they're set in Washington, but not the White House.

message 33: by Aymee (new)

Aymee (asphaltcowgrrl) Barb wrote: "Since she's 77 years old now, I'm guessing she'll stop writing? After 26 books with the same characters, I think it would be hard to write stand alones or even start another series, but who knows?"

I honestly had no idea she was 77! So yes, I totally agree with your assessment.

message 34: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 579 comments I didn't know the stories Margaret Truman wrote were not set in the White House. I remember her as she grew u,I in the White House. I like her Father very much. I was entering high school when Truman's were in the White House. Maybe, I need to check out her books.

message 35: by Barb (new)

Barb | 918 comments Melodie wrote: "Barb wrote: "Melodie wrote: "I got a newsletter from her the other day. The Grace Under Pressure series is ending, too. This one was her choice."

Will she still be writing at all, or didn't she say?

she's deciding right now just what she wants to write. While she loves cozies, she says it may be something darker. The coming Grace book is the last one. "

I read one of her other books, Playing with Matches, and didn't really like it at all. I didn't think it was a cozy at all, so if she's going for something darker, she's on the right track with that book.

message 36: by D.L. (new)

D.L. I have a question. Is there a specific thread where we can discuss the individual books of the month? One where we can even discuss what happens in it [spoilers]? Just curious. TY!

message 37: by MarieBL (last edited Jun 03, 2017 09:22PM) (new)

MarieBL Broussard-Landry (marie_broussard-landry) | 350 comments Barb wrote: "It's one of my favorite cozy series, but I'm hesitant to read the next book because I only have two left before the series ends. I know, it's weird, what can I say? :)"

Barb and Nell, LOL! I understand about the White House Chef series. I did the same thing with the Sam McCain series, by Ed Gorman. When I got close to the last book, I held off reading it for months, not wanting to be finished! :)

I read the first chapter of Hail to the Chef, and can't wait to get back to it!
Hail to the Chef (A White House Chef Mystery, #2) by Julie Hyzy

message 38: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (last edited Jun 05, 2017 07:31AM) (new)

Melodie wrote: "I got a newsletter from her the other day. The Grace Under Pressure series is ending, too. This one was her choice."

Gasp! So sorry to hear that, as I enjoy this series -- despite how much the sister sounds like one of my own.

I finished Grace Cries Uncle over the weekend and liked it as much as I have others in the series. (view spoiler) Still have one more in Mount TBR, Grace Sees Red, before the new one comes out.

message 39: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Daph wrote: "I have a question. Is there a specific thread where we can discuss the individual books of the month? One where we can even discuss what happens in it [spoilers]? Just curious. TY!"

THIS is the discussion thread for books by Julie Hyzy. Feel free to discuss or ask questions about any of her books here. If you want to say something without giving anything away, click on the link above the comment box where it says "some html is ok" is see how to hide spoilers within a thread.

message 40: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7210 comments Barb wrote: "Since she's 77 years old now, I'm guessing she'll stop writing? After 26 books with the same characters, I think it would be hard to write stand alones or even start another series, but who knows?"

I was a signing for X and this question came up (as it should this close to the end of the alphabet). I don't think she has a plan after Z but hasn't really ruled anything out. Hopefully we'll get some bonus books!

message 41: by Barb (new)

Barb | 918 comments Linda wrote: "I don't think she has a plan after Z but hasn't really ruled anything out. Hopefully we'll get some bonus books! "

I guess it will depend on how she wraps things up at the end of Z :)

message 42: by D.L. (new)

D.L. Heather L wrote: "Daph wrote: "I have a question. Is there a specific thread where we can discuss the individual books of the month? One where we can even discuss what happens in it [spoilers]? Just curious. TY!"

T..."

Okay, thank you. I just got Grace Under Pressure in the mail today and hope to read it ASAP!

message 43: by Mary (new)

Mary | 1 comments I have read all of the White House Chef books and was so sorry that the series ended. I had read that Ollie and Gav might be brought back in a different series. I hope they do bring them back. I have also read all of the Grace books and I am looking forward to the next one.

message 44: by Barb (new)

Barb | 918 comments Mary wrote: "I had read that Ollie and Gav might be brought back in a different series. I hope they do bring them back."

If I remember correctly, that decision will be up to the publisher, not the author. I think I remember reading that she doesn't own the rights to the characters :( Those characters may not be at all the same if written by a different author.

message 45: by Diane L (new)

Diane L I read one book in the WHC series a few years ago and remember not being terribly impressed. I decided to give it another chance since she is featured and found that I liked State of the Onion. It wasn't a pageturner by any means but I got to know the characters better than I had by grabbing one in the middle of the series.

message 46: by MarieBL (new)

MarieBL Broussard-Landry (marie_broussard-landry) | 350 comments I am almost finished reading the second in White House Chef series, HAIL TO THE CHEF, which I started right after finishing STATE OF THE ONION! I love the series, and, since it is ending, I am glad to be just starting out! :)

message 47: by MarieBL (new)

MarieBL Broussard-Landry (marie_broussard-landry) | 350 comments Finished and enjoyed HAIL TO THE CHEF! I am enjoying the White House Chef Mysteries! :)

message 48: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7210 comments Finished Buffalo West Wing last night and loved it!! This series just keeps getting better!

message 49: by Trish (last edited Jun 15, 2017 11:55PM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 278 comments I've liked Julie Hyzy for a while - since the lady who runs Aunt Agatha's in Ann Arbor recommended her to me. I started off with the Executive Chef ones (my mouth waters at the recipes!), and enjoyed them, but having read Grace Takes Off for this month's featured author book, I'm coming to the conclusion that I like the Manor House books better. They seem a bit less "stretched" than the Ollie Paras ones - or maybe just a bit more "cozy".

message 50: by MarieBL (new)

MarieBL Broussard-Landry (marie_broussard-landry) | 350 comments I finished reading Eggsecutive Orders, third in the White House Chef series. I enjoyed it, but not as much as the first two. Perhaps I should try the Manor House books! :)

« previous 1