Play Book Tag discussion

Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, #2)
This topic is about Birds of a Feather
May 2017: 2004 > Birds of a Feather by Jacqueline Winspear: 3 Stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3773 comments It's been a long time since I read the first Maisie Dobbs, and I remember being really enthralled with the parallels between the mystery/crime portion and Maisie's personal life. This was a less strong second installment, but still gave historical fiction, WWI tidbits, while keeping an interesting mystery alive. Unfortunately, this was much less personal for Maisie- and kind of dragged on despite an interesting subject.

This time, Maisie, personal investigator for private cases is hired to find a missing daughter of a Self-Made Supermarket Millionaire. This ends up coinciding with a concurring investigation of the daughter's old friends being murdered-one by one. What is a coincidence? What isn't? Whose behind the murders? Are they related to Charlotte, the daughter's disappearance?

The best part of the series I've decided is the WWI insight. I feel like I learn something about the time period just by reading the books. The white feather reveal was very historic, and made the learning lesson fun. The sidekick's PTSD (view spoiler) made the subject real, understandable, and was handled without judgment or criticism. The weaknesses in the book are portrayed by everything being so 'perfect'. Everything always falls into place for Maisie, and it makes the story a bit unbelievable.

Ellen | 2045 comments I'm still enjoying this series, although some of the books are not quite as good as others. I agree that the WWI info is very interesting and the lead up to WWII is intriguing as well.