Guns of the Dawn
This topic is about Guns of the Dawn
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Guns of the Dawn [October 2017]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 311 (311 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
October 16th.

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments I think I might join for this book haven't read a standalone novel and the cover is already pulling me in

Lady Luna. ✨ (lunathebooktroll) | 234 comments Enjoy guys! I must warn you tho this book was not what I expected, but still a great read! So make sure you go into this one with 0 expectations !

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments ☽Luna☾ wrote: "Enjoy guys! I must warn you tho this book was not what I expected, but still a great read! So make sure you go into this one with 0 expectations !"

Cheers Luna I'll make no assumptions apart from it has muskets....as well as having a lot of historical inspirations.....as well as having heard good things about the author you know what I'll just expect zilch hahaha

message 5: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Guns of the Dawn which is an October group read is on sale today for $2.99 from $8.49 on Kindle.

message 6: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - added it

Angela | 3517 comments Mod
I'm joining this one.

Dani there's already a thread. Does the 16th October work for you?

Olivia (vinjii) | 1049 comments I really want to read this one :)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Angela wrote: "I'm joining this one.

Dani there's already a thread. Does the 16th October work for you?"

That's great Angela I've just got a copy of the book and I like how the cover looks haven't read something with muskets yet so it should be fun and if I like this book I might join for the Shadow of the apt series with you as well

message 9: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - added it

Awesome. I'm hoping I'll like this one.

message 10: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

How much I like this will help me decide on committing to the Apt series. That's a ten book series, 12 if you includes the tales from the apt books, and none of them are available at the library.

message 11: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

The standalone folder was archived as a whole so I recreated it and moved this thread back.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1049 comments I have the first one of the Apt series ready to go. I'd be up for that if we like this one :)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments That's great Olivia I really want to read Tchaikovsky books and I want to try shadow of the apt soon as well this will be interesting

message 14: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Olivia wrote: "I have the first one of the Apt series ready to go. I'd be up for that if we like this one :)"

Ditto.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments I'd like to join you guys for this one. :)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments I've got the series also by the way if we decide on a BR for that too.

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments That's great Laura the more the better also I saw a copy of empire in black and gold at the bookstore and there's something about the cover that makes it feel different haha

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Already started but for another group.

message 19: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4105 comments I'm in.

message 20: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zaara wrote: "I'm in."

Looking forward to this.

message 21: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4105 comments Scott wrote: Looking forward to this."

Right back atcha.
I guess I should turn on notifications for these book threads...uhhhh RIGHT NOW.

message 22: by Dani (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dani | 577 comments Angela, 16th is fine.
Looking forward to it with y'all.

Mayim de Vries | 2832 comments I have got a copy and I'm always happy to read a standalone in between series so, time permitting, I might join.

message 24: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - added it

Dani, I don't know if I'll make it to this BR unfortunately.

message 25: by Dani (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dani | 577 comments Angela wrote: "Dani, I don't know if I'll make it to this BR unfortunately."

That's a pity but these things happen - I should know.

message 26: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Week out.

message 27: by Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ (last edited Oct 13, 2017 05:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ (ravageroftomes) | 27 comments HMMM I want to read this so badly with you guys but I'm right in the middle of The Infernal Battalion & Rising From Dust whyyyyyyyy did I get cursed with a slow reading speedeeeeee

message 28: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "HMMM I want to read this so badly with you guys but I'm right in the middle of The Infernal Battalion & Rising From Dust whyyyyyyyy did I get cursed with a slow reading speedeeeeee"

I'm jealous you got a head start on Infernal Battalion. The last book was so epic. This is in that same flintlock fantasy so I'm hoping to love it so it carries me over until January for the release. You should check out the Powder Mage trilogy if you haven't read it already as well.

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ (ravageroftomes) | 27 comments Scott wrote: "Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "HMMM I want to read this so badly with you guys but I'm right in the middle of The Infernal Battalion & Rising From Dust whyyyyyyyy did I get cursed with a slow read..."

Literally exactly my thoughts on this one but I'm trying not to hold out that it'll be as good as TSC because wow that series is A+! ALSO sad thing I did try out Powder Mage & ended up DNF'ing it about 50% in. I just... *sigh* on top of the fact the narrator was awful, the book itself just wasn't doing it for me at all? I wanna try it again though after I've had some time to recover!

message 30: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "Scott wrote: "Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "HMMM I want to read this so badly with you guys but I'm right in the middle of The Infernal Battalion & Rising From Dust whyyyyyyyy did I get cursed wi..."

TSC I had books 1 and 4 at 5*. Books 2 and 3 at 3.75*'s. Book 4 for me was the best of the series.

Both TSC and PM I read as I will this. I'm probably 60% read 40% audio. A narrator can make or break a book.

PM I had the three books at 4.5, 5 and 4.25. There's a second series with some of the same characters and book one was 3.75*. I am worried about the rest of the series feeling the author has run out of new ways to surprise and grow the world.

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ (ravageroftomes) | 27 comments TSC I've got at mostly 5's with book 1 being the only 4.5 (as you can tell I may be a bit obsessed with the series lol. Plus if you've never given the audios a try for TSC I'd highly recommend Richard Poe. He's just wonderful imo. Man Scott that's a good ratio! It's more 90% audio, 10% read for me unfortunately but it's the only way I can keep a normal pace lol.

Powder Mage felt to me like Mistborn Jr with less interesting characters & really a slow start (I still wasn't engaged at 50% tho I feel like shit was about to go down.) I do hate to hear that about the first book of the companion series though, it's always a bummer when an author you enjoy doesn't deliver. If I ever get back around to reading PM I'll weigh in but having to read the physical version really hinders me lol.

message 32: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4105 comments And @Mary she writes paragraphs...big ones...about books...I think I just found my thread twin!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ (ravageroftomes) | 27 comments ! Zaara! Hello my dear twin it's so lovely to meet you after all this time of being separated!! 🤗💕

message 34: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4105 comments Thanks for the friend. Added of course, you gorgeous thing you! Yeah this read just may be epic. And to think I was gonna drop out!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ (ravageroftomes) | 27 comments Zaara wrote: "Thanks for the friend. Added of course, you gorgeous thing you! Yeah this read just may be epic. And to think I was gonna drop out!"

Awhh, you're welcome! 💕 I hope that I can join in!

message 36: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4105 comments @Mary dumb question: what's TSC? I tried googling TSC + Richard Poe. No relevant bite.
And I really hope you will join. I've chatted a bit with Silvana, Angela, and Ahdam they are cool...so it's gonna be a fun group.

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Gonna be a bit late since uni has me distracted from reading

message 38: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4105 comments ☽Luna☾ wrote: "Enjoy guys! I must warn you tho this book was not what I expected, but still a great read! So make sure you go into this one with 0 expectations !"

Luna - I hope you will stick arnd and chat with us abt it. Keep the thread popping as @Choko puts it.

Ahdam wrote: "Gonna be a bit late since uni has me distracted from reading"

No worries Ahdam, I'm literally an earthworm. Uni always comes first. If you don't mind my asking and feel comfortable answering, what's your course/major?

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Nah it's cool I'm doing an undergraduate degree in film and television studies (not sure what you guys outside te uk would call it) and essentially these past 2 weeks have been quite hectic since I gotta do a lot of stuff like writing a script and learning about the film industry which has be thinking about my life

In other news I got myself a camera because of the past 2 weeks to build a new hobby and learn some new skills since I want to write and make my own films and stuff also hoping to start a YouTube channel in a couple of days to talk about a lot of my interests (can you guess what one is 😂😂😂)

I went a bit overboard there but it feels nice to say it to people even though it makes me look egotistical or something but oh well

message 40: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4105 comments Ahdam wrote: "I went a bit overboard there but it feels nice to say it to people even though it makes me look egotistical or something but oh well"

No you only answered cuz I asked. Atb with brainstorming script ideas & of course with YouTube. I'd watch.

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments That's great I'm planning on doing it in a couple of days so all you guys can hear my broken Asian West Yorkshire accent as well as being awkward to the camera

message 42: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zaara wrote: "@Mary dumb question: what's TSC?."

The Shadow Campaigns The Thousand Names

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments Thanks for asking the "dumb question" Zaara. I would have had to do it otherwise. 😁

And thanks for the answer Scott. :)

I finally finished my crazy toppler week with 8 books read in 7 days for a team challenge (which was great by the way but left me no time to chat much!) I'm looking forward to this one.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments looking forward to your You tube channel Ahdam! I'm sure it will turn out great.

message 45: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4105 comments Laura wrote: "I finally finished my crazy toppler week with 8 books read in 7 days for a team challenge (which was great by the way but left me no time to chat much!) I'm looking forward to this one. "

:-O shock & awe...welcome bk from your Reading Quest, mighty warrior!
I wish I could fluff your cushions + fix u your beverage of choice while you settle in for a good long chat/thread catch-up but ima settle for saying goood goood glad you're heeeeeere

Laura wrote: "Thanks for asking the "dumb question" Zaara. I would have had to do it otherwise.
And thanks for the answer Scott. :)"

Only one outta my satchel, gal. I have many spares :-)
And yea +1 Scott, ty.

Ahdam wrote: "That's great I'm planning on doing it in a couple of days so all you guys can hear my broken Asian West Yorkshire accent as well as being awkward to the camera"

Ok bruh now you just asking for the evil comebacks. I'm resisting. I'm trying to be niiiiiiiiiicccce...see, you can hiss a word without an S....
Kidding, I solemnly swear to watch you saying uuuuuuuuhhhh a lot + be nice with one C + give you plummygood feedback (don't say uuuuuuuuuuh a lot) but you already know that you film studies major, you!

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Okay I've finished desert spear and I'm gonna start this book

Should be interesting

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments I'm 4 chapters in and I'm still trying to find my feet in this world but it sounds interesting and once I find my groove it should prove to be good

Also I haven't read much standalone books so it's gonna be weird to see a full story in one book haha

message 48: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

I read chapter one which is only ten pages just to get a feel and a quick sneak peak. This is the first book in months that's grabbed me from that start excluding series books where it was beyond the first. Loved the entire opening scene. (view spoiler)

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ (ravageroftomes) | 27 comments I see if I can join you all soon! Glad to hear the opening is promising Scott!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments I'll be one day late. need to finish at least 1 of my open reads before starting this.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7